It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., Russia sign off on new nukes deal - Presidents agree over phone to cut nukes by 25 percent in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

U.S., Russia sign off on new nukes deal - Presidents agree over phone to cut nukes by 25 percent in historic pact

www.msnbc.msn.com

MOSCOW - President Barack Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev sealed an agreement on a landmark nuclear arms reduction treaty during a phone call Friday, White House officials said.

Obama and Medvedev will meet on April 8 in Prague to sign the treaty.

A White House statement said the treaty will limit both sides to 1,550 warheads each — about 30 percent fewer than in the previous agreement. It also limits each to 700 deployed missiles and bombers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
25%, it's something but it's honestly not that much
1500 was too much before and is too much now

I guess it's better than nothing though

However instead I do feel that all countries should sign the NPA and give up 100% of their stockpile and destroy them somehow.

The white house is making this sound like good news but it's not much of anything to me.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This is great news,yes one small step, but finally something positive for earths children.gj Obama

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
now, if we can just have everyone to eliminate 25% stockpiles every other year, then in time this will be great...

a small step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
One question - does the deal specifically state that the nukes must be dismantled and the nuclear material disposed of? What is Russia decides to reduce 30% of their stockpile by sharing the nuclear materials with countries like Iran and N. Korea?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

and the united states can give its to the rougue natiosn of its choice which are in bed with it

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is a really good move. LEarning about nuclear weapons since i was 12 and tot his day, kinda amaturely research them, learn about them, all ive learned is, the people who have nothing to do with a military conflict, are the ones that suffer, in either country, be it russia , america, china, dot matter. A few megatons detonate a mile over a city, its the public that pays, and renders the water and land useless anyway, via radiation exoposure. Not like an invading army who nuked a city, could really use much in the city after its been conquered*
good move.thier expensive, its dinosaur technology, and thier no reason really for it to be used in modern warfare.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is good nobody wants nuclear war, but what about the other countries with nukes? China, Israel, and European nations? I know the U.S. and Russia have the most known warheads, but I would consider them as the countires least likely to use them.

Also, the U.S. and the Russians signed the agreement to eliminate 25% of the warheads, but what if they just use this as an excuse to sell them secretly instead of destroying them? Are we destroying them under each others supervision?

Man I use a lot of buts.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
They both want to reduce maintenance costs, so why not get public opinion credits each.

I don't think anyone feels any less or any more secure now that there's only 700 deployed nuclear missiles on each side.

Besides, really, how does one actually prove that he's got exactly 1550 warheads? Even if some superhero investigative journalist does find out about the other 1000 missiles in some godforsaken spot in the Pacific I am sure a perfectly reasonable explanation would quickly be offered.

Actually when I think of it, "historic pacts" like this are a joke. You guys paid for that phone bill, I'd ask for a refund

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
President can sign anything he wants to, if the Congress does not agree, it will not be upheld and the President will just be out of luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks these treaties are useless? Ever since the START treaties it has become the norm to sign one of these pointless documents every few years. What is stopping them from simply hiding their stockpile? Absolutely nothing. Useless treaties signed with no integrity, only to give the illusion of cooperation.

join