It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Radar System Will Track Cars Anywhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

DARPA Radar System Will Track Cars Anywhere

This is something they will love over at “24” and its fictitious and nearly omnipotent Counter Terrorist Unit. The Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is developing a radar system that can track suspects or vehicles around corners and “down into urban canyons”— essentially anywhere in a city.

Using a few unmanned air drones, DARPA will use the new Multipath Exploitation Radar to create 3-D urban maps and something called a Ku-band radar, which will run at high enough frequencies to get detailed images of vehicles. The drones bounce radars off the ground and buildings and match the patterns to 3-D maps, creating a full, vivid picture of a city in motion.

Read the full article here

Unmanned air drones? For finding cars/people? Wow, what a great waste of tax payers money, seriously.

What's next, flying disks/orbs that follow every human around cataloging every step you take in order to make sure you are abiding by every law, and are not speaking out against the government? Yay for technology!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
The cars need to have a Radar tag fitted before it can be tracked.

There's an article about that HERE.

The article in the OP is sourcing THIS article, which is discussing the use of buildings to bounce the radar signal off of and using it conjunction with a 3D map to follow cars (fitted with a radar tag) in a city.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Couldn't this be a great thing really? An updated Amber alert type system perhaps. You could get your stolen car back faster etc. I see many good things this could be applied to, as long as it is being used by the right hands. dun dun dunnn

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Well of course it could be great... just how RFID chips COULD be great as well.

But we all know who is going to use, or shall I say abuse, this sort of system if it is implicated.

Yes it would be awesome to find kidnap victims, stolen cars and the like at lightning speed, but sometimes the bad outweighs the good.

And just because you need to have something implemented on your car for this system to work doesn't me diddly... how easy would it be to make it illegal NOT to have the radar tag? It could simply be something that is updated when you go in for an inspection or something. I can just picture it now... very easily too because my father owns a shop.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The thing to remember about DARPA-related technology is that if you're currently hearing about it, you can more or less bet it's about a decade old. I'm sure they already have this program in place and probably a prototype for its successor.

TA

[edit on 26-3-2010 by TheAssociate]

top topics

join