It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brit Conquers Space - With Helium Balloon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Brit Conquers Space - With Helium Balloon

news.sky.com

A space enthusiast has taken spectacular images of the Earth's surface from space - using a standard digital camera taped to a helium balloon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Out to the backyard everybody! And bring your helium balloons. This guy sent up a helium balloon with an inexpensive digital camera and took photos from 22 miles above the earth. Outstanding. This is so cool!. The photos are great. Just goes to show you what you can do with very little money and some imagination.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just seen this on the news and the results are outstading to say the least. I like the fact that NASA phoned him, quote, "He wanted to know how the hell we did it. He thought we used a rocket. They said it would have cost them millions of dollars."

Fantastic.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Indeed i was just reading about this myself. It honestly brought a smile to my face. I took a look at his photo's, the one that almost made me spill my coffee was the shot with the Sun paper.

Photos found here

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Very awesome. This guy should keep doing it, maybe some interesting things will end up coming up....

Dammit, I hope

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Not the first time its been done, but still great to see people taking the time (and their own money) investing in these projects.

The previous 2 off the top of my head was a Spanish University project which released a High Altitude Balloon from the Portugal/Spanish border, this travelled a few hundred miles NE up to the foothills of the Pyrenees.

And a private venture in the UK which released a Medium altitude Balloon in Cheshire, which *just* made it back to ground before it drifted into the North Sea, somewhere around the Hull area.

top topics

join