It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Dinosaur Found In Utah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Utah's red rocks -- world-famous attractions at numerous national parks, monuments and state parks -- have yielded a rare skeleton of a new species of plant-eating dinosaur that lived 185 million years ago and may have been buried alive by a collapsing sand dune. The discovery confirms the widespread success of sauropodomorph dinosaurs during the Early Jurassic Period.

SOURCE: www.sciencedaily.com...

I found this interesting solely because I love new discoveries. The thing I found most interesting was why they named it what they did. Heres why:

"The new dinosaur species is named Seitaad ruessi (SAY-eet-AWD ROO-ess-EYE), which is derived from the Navajo word, "Seit'aad," a sand-desert monster from the Navajo (Diné) creation legend that swallowed its victims in sand dunes (the skeleton of Seitaad had been "swallowed" in a fossilized sand dune when it was discovered); and Ruess, after the artist, poet, naturalist and explorer Everett Ruess who mysteriously disappeared in the red rock country of southern Utah in 1934 at age 20."

[edit on 3/24/2010 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am amazed that after all these years they are still making so many finds in Utah. Flag for the find!

join