It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huang Chuncai, "China's Elephant Man"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Huang Chuncai

Known as "China's Elephant Man," Huang Chuncai suffers from exceptionally large tumors that have stunted his growth, left his bones undeveloped, caused his spine to buckle and restricted his breathing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac6f31fc49ba.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb905e41320f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21894edd6ac4.jpg[/atsimg]

Huang Chuncai is a Chinese man who became famous for being "China's Elephant man." He is suffering from an extreme case of neurofibromatosis, which caused such large tumours on his face that they had completely distorted his features.

Born in the southern parts of Hunan province, he is the eldest of three children. In addition to his parents, his family also consists of his brother, his sister and his nephew. His father earned money by selling noodles in the local market.

Huang's parents first noticed signs of his illness when he was four years old. He was taken to hospital and was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis. However, the doctors advised against removing the tumors -- an operation that Huang's parents were too poor to afford anyway -- since they believed it to be too dangerous.

Huang's tumor continued to grow, and although he began attending school when he was eight, he eventually left four years later, as he felt alienated by the other children, who called him the elephant man. By the time he was 31, his tumor weighed 15 kg.

Around 2007, he caught the attention of the doctors at the Fuda Cancer Hospital at Guangzhou, who decided to try removing the tumour. His first operation, in July 2007, removed a 15-kg (33 lb.) tumour from the right side of his face, and the second one, in January 2008, removed another 10 lb. of tissue from the same side. A third operation was scheduled for late 2008, which would have removed the tumor on the left side of his face.

He was the subject of a 2008 Bodyshock documentary entitled 'I Am the Elephant man

en.wikipedia.org...

About Huang

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ede307947b1b.jpg[/atsimg]

I was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis at age four. The doctors said it was too dangerous to operate on me. As each day passed my tumors grew larger and larger. I knew from an early age that I was disabled. Often it feels like life is impossible. I’ve had to find the strength inside to carry on. When I went to school, people pointed and laughed at me. I was miserable so I left.

I have got used to living like this. When I get up in the morning, I go downstairs for breakfast and a wash. I don’t need to brush my teeth, as the tumor has knocked them out.

I’d be lost without my family’s help: I can’t do even the tiniest thing. Because of my tumors, I can’t earn money to look after my parents. If I could be cured, I would do everything possible to help them.

As each day passed my tumors grew larger and larger. This operation is the only chance I have of carrying on my life.

For More...

[edit on 21-3-2010 by Crapsghetti]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
[edit on 21-3-2010 by Crapsghetti]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
His strength in such circumstances is inspirational.

He just seems to want to work and help.

I cant imagine suffering as he has in life.

Wishing him luck for the upcoming operations.

Elf

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I loved his attitude. He wants the tumors to be removed so that he can help his parents. I'll channel my grandma to say, "bless his heart".

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Just saw a documentary about this... I really admire this guys strength and willpower. I just hope that his surgery went well. Saw only the first one on tv. I truly hope everything worked out right. If anybody deserver some happinesss it is this guy.

new topics

top topics

join