It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why teaching is 'not like making motorcars'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is a great article by CNN funny enough.

In regards to Sir Ken Robinson at a TED talk.

CNN) -- Sir Ken Robinson says our education system works like a factory. It's based on models of mass production and conformity that actually prevent kids from finding their passions and succeeding, he said.

"The problem is that educating young people is not like making motorcars -- at all," the author and educator said in a recent interview. "And one key difference is that motorcars have no interest in how they're made, and young people do."

Robinson, author of "The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything," spoke to CNN after a recent lecture at the TED Conference in Long Beach, California.

TED is a nonprofit group dedicated to "ideas worth spreading" which makes talks from its conferences available online.

Watch a 2006 "TED talk" with Ken Robinson

Instead of trying to mass-produce children who are good at taking tests and memorizing things, schools should emphasize personal development, Robinson said. Not all kids are good at the same things, and the education system shouldn't pretend they should all turn out the same, he said.

"We can't just improve [schools]," he said. "We have to radically transform them."

Schools today are "preoccupied with certain types of ability," he said.

The comments came before the current debate over education policy erupted in the United States. President Obama this week proposed an overhaul of the U.S. education system, and a school board in Rhode Island made headlines after it fired all of the teachers at an underperforming high school.

Robinson said his aim is to help students find their passions and to inspire creativity.

That will keep them from turning into complacent and bored adults, he said.

He touches on a lot of things that are quite true.

This is what strikes me as most important

quote]Instead of trying to mass-produce children who are good at taking tests and memorizing things, schools should emphasize personal development, Robinson said. Not all kids are good at the same things, and the education system shouldn't pretend they should all turn out the same, he said.

What are your thoughts ATS?

Edit to Add: Source

~Keeper

[edit on 3/20/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have agreed with this for a long time now, the rest of the world needs to catch up. I don't learn well in a school setting. Not all kids can learn or comprehend a lesson the same way. We all need to take our own paths to reach our goal and forcing all the kids to take the same one regardless of whether it helps them or not isn't very efficient.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

I agree.

I've homeschooled by children until high school and let them make the choice to go public or private.

Although I am sure I could teach them high school level topics, I just don't have the time or the resources. Let's face it, I'm not a professional either.

My daughter when public, my eldest song is going private. He seems to like it better. They allow all class choices and he can change those at any time.

It's not nearly as progressive as I would like it to be, but paying for high school education gets you a little bit more.

~Keeper

join