It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign of Cosmic Climate Change: New Island Forms in South Pacific (awesome pics)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Very cooool!

I personally think something cosmic is going on.

annnd Yes Hawaii did start this way but who's to say something cosmic didn't have it's hand in that.

Worst part about it is someone probabaly knows the answers to this whole ordeal and yet here we are lol.

str and flag sir OP!

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by eArth33lr
Where abouts in the South Pacific is this taking place? Could this be the rising of the old ancient continent of Lemuria?

I very highly doubt it is Lemuria, this is obviously a NEW island being formed from a volcano, look at the pics again, sir.

Very cool find though, I can only imagine the excitement they felt when they ran in to this. I'd be overly ecstatic, would immediately rip my shirt off and make a flag, lol. Claim that island before it's even done being created.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Speaking of Hawaii, I remember being told about a Hawaiian island forming, but they predict it won't rear it's head til 18,000 years from now.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
...Pumice floats.

Big deal?

This is not an unusual occurrence by any means. And new islands are forming every day, all over the World.. in fact, Hawaii is always forming new islands.

"cosmic climate change" my arse.. I'm all for helping the environment, but you loony eco nuts sometimes seem to lack all sense of intelligence..

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree with you, but getting an island formed in pictures doesn't impress you? wow.

Also I am not one that thinks global warming is real but really how can you deny that spewing hot lava into the ocean would not raise the temperature of it? I don't think it means lets head for the hills and we should prepare for the apocalypse, but it seems plausible.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I thought the new island forming was due to Volcanic Activity? Why is this Climate change?

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by MysterE

I linked you to the actual story and not the original I got it from, sorry.

www.sott.net...

Comment: We covered this story in 2006 and are reposting it now along with these eyewitness photographs. As we outlined in our recent installment of Connecting the Dots, this undersea activity, including the birth of a whole new island, does not bode well for our planet because increased undersea volcanism means that the ocean water is being heated. This heating of the water can lead to increased evaporation and heat pockets of the lower atmosphere. At the same time, the upper atmosphere is cooling due to increased comet dust (or other cosmic dust entering the solar system from who knows where?) - the evidence for which is the increasing number of fireball sightings being reported over the past dozen years or so, not to mention reports of colourful snow and high-altitude noctilucent clouds. The cosmic dust is electrically charged and tends to create drag on the Earth's rotation, slowing it down marginally. This affects the magnetic field which then increases earthquakes and volcanism, and a feedback loop gets going.

When the increased moisture in the lower atmosphere hits the cooling upper atmosphere, the result is torrential rains and/or increased snowfall depending on location and season of the location. It can also produce odd effects like falling chunks of ice, extraordinary hail storms in the middle of summer, and so on. There have been many reports of these phenomena over the past dozen years or so.

In short, we are witnessing the process of the initiation of an ice age and while the drama reported in the above story is entertaining, it is also a grim reminder of what is really going on in our solar system.

Sorry about that, The sign of the times is where I got it from and I didn't even include the comment it came with.

My apologies.

Pred... [/quote

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If true, this is very cool stuff. However, let's leave the term "climate change" out of it, eh? I am so sure this has never happened before in earth's history. It must be cosmic climate change?? What? Wow, Al Gore was RIGHT!

That is definitely not a carbon-neutral island. Let's tax it.

Do people have to politicize everything?

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
These pics were great, but the eruption was just a little one. Consider Krakatoa.
"In the weeks following the eruption, fine fragments of tephra and dust that were propelled kilometers into the stratosphere began to make a ring around the equator. They would remain suspended there for years causing remarkable solar effects and atmospheric hazing as they bent the incoming light. Also the enormous volumes of sulfur dioxide gas molecules that were ejected into the atmosphere combined with water to make sulfuric acid. These acidic aerosols sufficiently blocked enough sunlight to drop the Earth's temperature by several degrees for a few years. There presence in the atmosphere also created spectacular effects over 70% of the Earth's surface. Effects such as halos around the sun and moon, and amazing sunsets and sunrises were seen. For years these particles would remain suspended in the atmosphere being the final reminder of the massive and fatal blast that occurred in Sundra Straits."
This it taken from www.earlham.edu...
Even as great as this was, the Earth reajusted and went right on spinning. Now reading about it is still spectactular, but those temps and sunsets are long gone.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed Pred.

However i fail to see the "climate change". Am I missing something?

In a few generations who knows there could be a whole new little chain of Islands out there.

S & F

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
>< double post

[edit on 20-3-2010 by constantwonder]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Hey Nice catch!!

I think this guy can claim himself the island and become the owner of it
It should be great to have you brand new 2010 island for yourself

This world is so interesting indeed.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Awesome photos folks
Any new upcoming land in the ocean will create a lot of extreme climatic conditions!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I think the mythical continent of lemuria is returning.
Its just a matter of time.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
ok .. this makes the 3rd post about volcanos erupting...nearly at the same time..

WT*.. is going on !!! Is the earth really shifting that much !!!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I would say that connecting-the-dots between story threads is what makes this event fall under the general theme of 'climate change'
or perhaps under Techtonic Changes, as it appears that all around the Ring-of-Fire, there is increased volcanic activity, perhaps because the hot Magma is getting hotter and breaking through the Earths crust with increased vigor in the recent number of years compared to normal activity over the last few centuries.
good grief !

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on 20-3-2010 @ 18:32

more info UPI: Seventeen Indonesia volcanoes on alert

BANDUNG, Indonesia, March 19 (UPI) -- Seventeen of 18 volcanoes in Indonesia are on alert
status and emitting toxic gas, a federal monitoring agency said.

Link to story:

www.upi.com...

And a volcano in Iceland just erupted as well.

abcnews.go.com...

the Earth's molten iron core is slowing down, making the magnetic poles less stable, and possibly raising the temperatrure of the Mantle layer below the Earths crust.... causing increased rates and volitility of volcanos in fissure areas and at the edges of the Techtonic plates.

look for more and fiercer volcanoes, earthquakes, plate movements,
outgassing, maybe even a Siberian Traps II in our grandchildern's lifetimes

And from this thread, a post of live video of Icelandic volcano activity

www.abovetopsecret.com...

JanusFIN

Live webcam from eruption here:

dagskra.ruv.is...

thanks,

[edit on 21-3-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I found this on wiki! The "island" is called "Home Reef".

en.wikipedia.org...

Home Reef is an ephemeral island built by a submarine volcano whose top has repeatedly breached the surface and was subsequently eroded by wave action again. It is located in the South Pacific, south of Late Island and southwest of Vava'u along the Tofua volcanic arc in Tonga, at coordinates 18°59′28″S 174°45′47″W / 18.99111°S 174.76306°W / -18.99111; -174.76306.

After island-building eruptions in 1852, 1857, and 1984, Home Reef once again rose above sea level in August 2006. It emerged after a volcanic eruption started on 8 August which also spewed large amounts of floating pumice into Tongan waters and swept across to Fiji about 350 km (220 miles) to the west of where the new island formed.

In October 2006 it reached almost the same size as it did in 1984 when it was about 0.5 by 1.5 km (0.3 by 0.9 miles). The island was first seen by the crew of a yacht, who recorded its emergence in their blog. The eruptions produced extensive rafts of pumice, which drifted northeast from the new island. The pumice rafts and new island were imaged by the Aqua satellite in August 2006. Images also revealed the presence of several small, hot crater lakes on the newly formed island.

I hope this helps solving some of the mystery!

Cool find!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
We should plant trees and vegetation on the island, introduce animals, and form a tribe to colonize the island. Now that would be awesome.

on second thought: nah.

[edit on 21-3-2010 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
They didn't watch this island form in a matter of minutes, hours or even days as Islands take a very long time to form. There is no doubt that they saw these volcanic stones floating because they really do float due to the high gas content trapped in the rocks and their porous nature but because of this floating "sand", it appeared as if the island was formed before their eyes. I say again, these sailors did not witness an Island form out of the sea from nowhere, rather they witnessed some floating pumice and a relatively new volcanic island and most likely put two and two together to assume that the Island just appeared, since the volcano was active.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

OMG.. have you ever taken a geography class, or a geology class?

The World's oceans are a conveyor belt of recycled land.. throughout the entire middle of the ocean is, like a spine, a straight line of volcanoes. In fact, the largest mountains and volcanoes in the world are inside the ocean. Every second of every day lava is spewing from the center of our oceans, creating new ocean sea floor.

So no. A new island being formed does not surprise me. Nor would i ever assume a volcano spewing lava into the ocean would ever raise the world's temperature.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join