It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Altun Ha

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Last summer I visited a Mayan ruin at Altun Ha in Belize. After I climbed to the top of one of the structures I noticed a ring of grass that was darker than the rest. I was curious about why.
After getting back to the ground, I met a botonist who was working there and asked him why the ring was a different color. He said that no one has found a good explanation for it.
I was half teasing when I asked if a UFO made it by landing there. He answered that it had been suggested as the cause.
This is the photo that I took. I should have taken one from the top of the structure, but I was too late with that bright idea.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4ad959ffa3d.jpg[/atsimg]

The ring was in front of the Temple of Masonary Alters. This is the city plan:
www.beyondtouring.com...

Altun Ha is famous for a large jadite head that was found there. There isn't any jadite in the area, so it was supposed that this was trading center.
For another picture of the circle you can look at the wiki photo.
en.wikipedia.org...
It seems odd that there is no note of this circle by any source I have found so far. Perhaps that aren't commenting because they have no cause for it.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think mushrooms could be a more parsimonious answer than UFOs.
Could tie in with their rituals as well?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Perhaps it's just...a ring of grass? I can see two others in your picture at well, so it's not exactly a unique phenomenon in the area. Most likely just a slightly different strain of grass growing in a curved line due to factors such as sunlight, moisture, etc.

Interesting, though.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
That's pretty neat. You should have taken some of the grass as a sample and brought it back... maybe someone could examine why its a different color to the rest.

I don't know, nothing much to say, its pretty neat.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think that there was a second ring, the picture I have seems to show that, but the wiki doesn't.
Some mushrooms grow in a ring, but this is there all the time according to the man I spoke with. It is also in the wiki picture. I don't know when that one was taken. Mine was taken last November. Do mushrooms grow all year or are they seasonal?
If it's another type of grass, why would it grow in a rather perfect ring? Most grasses tend to run or clump.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

This is true, and I admit I can't explain it. I used to stumble across Fairy Rings on Vancouver Island as a kid, found them very intriguing.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I checked on fairy ring fungus. It does produce a deep green circle, but it also produced fruit (mushrooms) and it continues to grow away from the center. These rings are stable and the grass inside and around them is not altered.
If this area was used for sacrifice (and there is no evidence to support that) how much blood would have to be spilled to last since 700AD?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Interesting question.

One thing that came to mind is that it could also mark a geological or man made feature. You can tell places that have been modified by humans because of differences in the soil (and that changes the plants that grow there.) The first thing I'd want to do is some botanical research!

Fungus rings are known (fairy circles) ... they're not hallucinogenic mushrooms, though they may not be mushrooms that are safe to eat. I'm not familiar enough with the botany of Central America and Mexico to say whether or not those things grow down there.

But what an interesting thing to find!

new topics

top topics

join