It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: New Zealand anti-Echelon activists found NOT GUILTY!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

BREAKING: New Zealand anti-Echelon activists found NOT GUILTY!

This is a good piece of news for the common people of the world!

Three activists who admitted breaking into a Government spy base near Blenheim and slashing an inflatable plastic dome covering a satellite dish, have walked free.

Their defense – that they mounted the attack to prevent others suffering – has been successfully used by Iraq-war protesters overseas, but is thought to be a New Zealand first.

Schoolteacher Adrian Leason, 45, Dominican friar Peter Murnane, 69, and farmer Sam Land, 26, were charged with burglary and wilful damage at the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) facility.

The prosecution said the trio cut their way through fences into the base on April 30, 2008, then slashed the plastic cover over a satellite dish with sickles.

The trio readily admitted attacking the base, but said they were driven by a belief that the satellite caused human suffering and their actions to shut it down, if only temporarily, were lawful.

A jury in the Wellington District Court took only two hours to acquit them of all charges yesterday.

Source

Here's a group of common citizens that decided to do something tangible instead of just sitting around talking about it. Then, instead of accepting some kind of deal, they went to court and had the opportunity to tell the jury and the world all about the world-wide Echelon Spy facilities, the danger it poses to the freedom of common people, and why they did what they did. The jury, being made of common people also, very quickly realized the "goodness" of what these three did and rewarded them with a free pass! This was also all over the New Zealand newspapers and television news as well, so it was not hidden or buried from the average New Zealander.

In a world where the common person is increasingly striped of true freedom, oppressed and hung out to dry, these activists showed that it is possible to let governments know that some things are just not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Spying on the private communications of everyone is one of those things that goes beyond what governments should be doing. Each of the major western countries has laws against unwarranted government intrusion into the private lives of individuals, so instead of obeying those laws, the governments found a way around them... at least in their minds they did. Introducing Echelon...

What is Echelon?

This world CAN be a better place only if the people hold the governments accountable and prevent them from crossing the line. It is fine for them to govern, but they must do it well, and they must do it without violating the freedoms, privacy and rights of those who operate as good citizens.

We must never forget that the basic tenet of democracy and a republic form of government is that the citizens are governed by consent and how the country operates is primarily determined by the people through their elected officials. Human nature being what it is, however, it is a fact that governments will do things their own way if the people do not hold them accountable with proper modes of pressure and correction. That is just how it is.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by downisreallyup]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I know this won't get rid of the Echelon system, but it does make more people aware of it, and it also sets an example of how people can sometimes apply pressures that get people to notice, and they can do it without having to be penalized.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
hi, i am a kiwi girl living in perth and am trying to find out more about nwo and what we can do in new zealand and australia to raise awareness to the fact that this is not just a problem for the u.s but for the freedom of the entire world. I was glad to find your article as there is not much else written on similar subjects in this area of the world. it is common kiwi knowledge of this base, yet no one really cares or questions it much? not like, say... area 51 and other secret government bases where many are trying to penetrate and get answers. any links u may have or similar articles would be much appriciated. as i start my own mission against globalisation and the new world order in pacifica knowledge is power. thanks again. antinwochick

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Double post sorry!

[edit on 21-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Dances and parties!

Yippee lol, for once and in an important case the law is protecting the people not corps or states!

Good on ya NZ!

In europe it's getting much worse we have Mother of all Surveillance about to get very big, Project Indict!

Mood evaluation software of the writer/poster etc!

All linked in with the semantic profile and others.

reply to post by antinwochick

If you want some info on Echelon and its predecessor Project Dictionary There is some info I posted here:

HERE

There is lots of info here to on Echelon - INDICT - NSA

Hey if you email them I am sure they could give you a local contact!

, and be happy about doing it

I am not paranoid they ARE listening, lol.

Kind Regards,

Elf

new topics

top topics

join