It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic nuns break with bishops and urge passage of health care reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org

In recent weeks, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has been outspoken in its opposition to the Senate health care bill, saying that it doesn’t sufficiently restrict federal funds from being used for insurance coverage of abortions. However, in an “unusual public break,” a group of nuns — “60 leaders of religious orders representing 59,000 Catholic nuns” — has sent Congress a letter urging lawmakers to pass health care reform and ignore the “false claims” floating around about abortion. From the letter:

The health care bill that has been passed by the Senate and that will be voted on by the House will expand coverage to over 30 million uninsured Americans. While it is an imperfect measure, it is a crucial next step in realizing health care for all. It will invest in preventative care. It will bar insurers from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions. It will make crucial investments in community health centers that largely serve poor women and children. And despite false claims to the contrary, the Senate bill will not provide taxpayer funding for elective abortions. It will uphold longstanding conscience protections and it will make historic new investments – $250 million – in support of pregnant women. This is the REAL pro-life stance, and we as Catholics are all for it.

The bishops are increasingly alone in their position. Last week, both the Catholic Health Association and a group of 25 “pro-life Catholic theologians and Evangelical leaders” also sent Congress letters supporting the Senate bill.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow. I'm really surprised that nuns are standing up to the male hierarchy of the church, and asserting their own independent positions. You can't turn back the clock on progress.

I agree with them. The present language of the bill makes it absolutely clear that no federal monies will go to funding abortions. To adopt the Stupak language (as the bishops want) would restrict abortions beyond their present status and move the country in the direction of re-criminalizing them. In any case, health care reform is not the forum in which to argue women's reproductive rights. Re-arguing Roe v. Wade is another issue altogether.

I also agree with the sisters that there is much in the present bill that will support the interests of mothers and children and enhance the health care benefits for all families.

The nuns have shown that they have a voice in the modern church. Good for them.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

The Whole bill is bogus dude, it was written behing close doors, and now they are trying to muscle it through, either they can throw it out, or America will through them out... ESP when they see there preiums fly through the roof as well as there taxes.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Dont those nuns know when to keep their pieholes shut and just let the man do the thinking?

kidding...yes, pretty suprising move considering ultimately the nuns are in servitude of the higher up males in the church.
Stupack is a idiot...abortions will not be provided for free for the hell of it, there is actually no change to how its run now verses how it will be run. He was just trying to get anti-abortion language in there because of his stance.

he failed.

A bit of irony though...out of the years of republican domination, it was a democrat that tried the most earnest to get abortion law overturned by this measure. I mean, it didnt happen(wont), but I just find it amusing that the religious vote mostly on abortion issues, and at the end of the day, only a dem has tried to fight for them, yet they always toss their votes for the reps for unkept promises.

I suspect no change in voting behavior however. Its quite easy to fool them with talk over substance.

Well done nuns.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Apparently the nuns are the only ones harassing Representative Stupak His wife has been harassed by thugs over the telephone. People all over the country are outraged by healthcare but they don't harass somebody's wife. What American's don't realize and that Rep. Stupak doesn't realize is that our government is breaking down so much, and the bad guys are having their way so much, that the goons harassing him are government trolls. Govt trolls of ATS, think about what you are doing. Is this really what you signed up for? Our society is breaking up on the pattern of Nazi Germany. If the representatives can't be bribed, they are threatened.

Bart Stupak's family getting abusive calls

Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) said Thursday that his family has been the target of “abusive” behavior in response to his decision to withhold his vote for health care reform over federal funding for abortion

[edit on 18-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I love that the Nuns are standing up to the male dominated hierarchy of the Church.

That said, how in God's name can anyone support a bill when we have NO FREAKING IDEA what is in it? We can mostly all agree that healthcare reform is long overdue but any bill that is being so overwhelmingly supported by the largest Pharma Corps in the US cannot possibly be a good thing for the citizenry.

Obama has completely screwed this up. He and his inept fellow Democrats have squandered the best opportunity we will likely have to pass real reform. I want this bill to be defeated and I want him to be thrown out of office in the next Presidential election.

And I voted for him. I can't tell you how angry I am at him for being nothing more than more of the same. He is a liar and a fraud.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by m khan

I'm sorry Rep. Stupak is being harassed. I don't agree with him that the HC bill needs to further restrict abortion coverage beyond the fact that no federal dollars will pay for it.

The nuns are apparently also satisfied that the legislation in its present form is restrictive enough and does not require the Stupak language. But I don't believe they are harassing Stupak in any way.

Still, nothing is accomplished by harassment. I hope the people who are doing it are restrained.

[edit on 18-3-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avamarguy
I love that the Nuns are standing up to the male dominated hierarchy of the Church.

That said, how in God's name can anyone support a bill when we have NO FREAKING IDEA what is in it?

Text of the bill is available here:

HR 3200

Senate Democrats Health Care Reform Bill

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
From my interpretation of the bill, the Nuns are part of a religious organization
and are therefore exempt from the "mandatory coverage" requirement. But,
because their income is relatively low, they'll no doubt benefit greatly from
this new government program when they need medical care.

BTW...check out this newly found information about how the IRS will be able to
reach into our lives, thanks to "Obamacare", as it's being called...

News Article: newsmax.com...

-cwm

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

I think the nuns are supporting this bill because they think it will be good for all people, including children and families.

I believe the church takes care of the sisters' own health care needs. Still, there may possibly be government subsidies for the nuns as well, as you suggest. (If anyone knows, please post.) If that were the case, though, I expect the bishops would also support HCR and they do not.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Interesting interview on this subject:

Nuns Clash With Bishops Over Health Bill Support

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I live in Canada - and the local Bishop has written in favour of universal health care here.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Canada is ahead of the U.S. by far when it comes to health care.

new topics

top topics

join