It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Computer That Processes Faster Than The Speed of Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
March 09, 2010
Pushing the Limits of Physics Exceeding the speed of light opens one up to all kinds of theoretical problems, but two Austrian researchers claim there's no reason we can't build a computer that processes information at superluminal speeds.
How fast is too fast? According to the laws of physics, the speed of light is a good boundary, as going beyond it opens you up to all sorts of paradoxes and space-time phenomena that are usually the stuff of sci-fi. But a couple of researchers in Austria have come up with a way to compute information faster then the speed of light.

The idea is not quite as crazy as it might sound, though you may wish to limber up your mind before delving deeper. It's based on the same principle as that of quantum entanglement
-- the notion that two particles on opposite sides of the universe can be linked through their quantum states such that one cannot be adequately described without the other. That is, an action on one particle instantaneously influences its counterpart, even if they are separated by light years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b353ac96a2cf.jpg[/atsimg]

www.popsci.com...

My PC is so fast now that sometimes I can't keep up with it, this technology would be unbelievable.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yea ive noticed that...
My pc do stuff that i want but that i didnt realized
i want until after it did it....Strange...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i read about this a couple years ago. the problems they say they are facing with it is that it doesn't data crunch very well. it's in a very primitive form at the moment. sending 1 bit of quantum-entangled data is a long way from terabytes of data and all the random interactions between events on a single computer processing information, much less interacting with the net and other computers.

the thing that freaked me out was they said a single quantum computer could hold all the data on the internet, including every downloadable program, every running program, all the servers, gaming platforms, websites, databases, forums, graphics, video and sound files, every script, every photograph, all of it. just one quantum computer can do all that. you can imagine how the creation of things like the holodeck in star trek, would be quite feasible.

now consider that if there are type 1, 2 or 3 civilizations out there, they are most likely running quantum memory of everything in existence, and would have no problems whatsoever, creating a 3d holodeck envirnoment for the lower lifeforms to learn in.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Yes one bit is a long way from terabytes but just demonstrating that this is possible is a massive step. At the rate technology is progressing, we probably aren't as far away from achieving this as some might think.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by OZtracized]

top topics

join