It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Finding English Translations of Religious Text

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I need help finding English translations of the

Pali Canon
The Kitáb-i-Aqdas
Qur'an
The Ofudesaki
And expessially the Avesta collection for Zoroastrianism
Svetambara

If any of you can help me out finding me english translations of those scripts it would be much appreciated, Thank you.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
www.quraninenglish.com.../quran
www.islamicity.com...

First two are Qur'an in English

www.cambodianbuddhist.org...
www.accesstoinsight.org...

Second two are Pali Canon

www.bahai-library.org...
www.theaqdas.org...

Third two are The Kitab-i-Aqdas

my.englishclub.com...

I believe this one may be the "the Avesta collection for Zoroastrianism"

The latter few I'll let someone else find and those are:

The ofudesaki
Svetambara

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thank you. Seriously. Do you know any books though, instead of online translations?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sadly no, I have a few friends who are Arabic if I needed to know more I could ask them, but as a student of philosophy I'm sure I'll encounter it sooner or later.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

I need help finding English translations of the

And expessially the Avesta collection for Zoroastrianism

Try here: sacred-texts.com

or here: avesta.org

Although be warned, Wikipedia says that the Darmesteter translation is now regarded as obsolete (Wiki)

edit to add: If you're looking to buy, Amazon seems to have the 2001 reprint of Darmesteter's 1880 translation available: Amazon.com

[edit on 3/12/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks man, it helps me out a lot.
Hopefully I can find the Pali canon translation (book) somewhere.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Quranix.net has the best English translations of the Quran. It shows 5 translations at once. You can't trust any "one translation".

But as for a hard copy, the best copy is "The Message" by Layth. It's BY FAR the most pure and literal translation that you will find

www.amazon.com...

Trust me, I have been reading like 30 English translations. This one is VERY pure and literal. It doesn't change things just to make it fit the translator's interpretation.

It's listed as the "monotheist group" translation on quranix.net.

Also al-quran.info has many translations

[edit on 12-3-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Thanks man, it helps me out a lot.
Hopefully I can find the Pali canon translation (book) somewhere.

My pleasure

The Pali Canon is going to be harder, it looks like. Here's what wikipedia says:

Translation: Pali Canon in English Translation, 1895- , in progress, 43 volumes so far, Pali Text Society, Bristol; for details of these and other translations of individual books see the separate articles. In 1994, the then President of the Pali Text Society stated that most of these translations were unsatisfactory. Another former President said in 2003 that most of the translations were done very badly. The style of many translations from the Canon has been criticized as "Buddhist Hybrid English", a term invented by Paul Griffiths for translations from Sanskrit. He describes it as "deplorable", "comprehensible only to the initiate, written by and for Buddhologists".

(Wiki)

Now, if you want to drop $2200 on it, you can order the 43-volume (so far) translation here.

But I would guess you'd be better off with something like this, which is a translation of the Sutta-Nipata of the Pali Canon.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Pali Canon or what sections you're interested in. Maybe someone else more familiar with the texts that compose it could help point you toward a specific selection?

edit: spelling

[edit on 3/12/2010 by americandingbat]

top topics

join