It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Follow up church or Cult?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Follow up church or Cult?

www.religionnewsblog.com

www.religionnewsblog.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is my first time submitting a post so I hope I'm doing it right. This belongs in the religious section. I could not find any recent news articles but their current web site is linked here.

I normally don't get too involved in religion, but at the request of my wife I looked into the "church" organization The Door. What I found is a bit disturbing. The Potter House is also involved with this organization. I looked and looked but could not find any mention of any of these organizations here.

The main part of all this that struck me as wrong was their contradictory message of not provoking your children, yet first hand accounts of the pastor of their Prescott Az. branch dressing as the devil while making a 5 year old girl put her hands in a bucket of blood!

They seem like a very authoritarian, brainwashing cult to me. More than a few people my wife and I met have nothing good to say about this "church".

What is your take, ATS, on this? Why do we as a society tolerate this kind of behavior in the name of "religion"?

They seem to focus on indoctrinating children at a young age to THEIR teachings.Children who go to this church end up telling their own parents that they're going to hell because they don't believe what they do. THIS is part of what is tearing the family unit in America apart IMO.

I really don't think this is what our founding fathers had in mind when they wanted freedom of religion. It seems to me that our "religious freedoms" is what is tearing this country apart.

So, what does this look like to you? a church or a cult?

www.religionnewsblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
MODS:

Could you please move this to the right forum?

Thank you

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I don't know no how to link a web site.

Go to www. the door cfc.com

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple
LINK: to their home page. The Door Christian Fellowship - Tucson, Arizona - Pastor Harold Warner
thedoorcfc.com...

Three R's to Child Training
I. Rulership
II. The Rod
“You shall beat him with a rod, And deliver his soul from hell.” (Proverbs 23:14)
As you can see, there is nothing abusive, in definition, about proper biblical spanking. Spanking is a parent’s acting out love and concern for the future of their child’s obedience to God and every other authority in their life.
III. Relationship/ Respect

Sounds almost mainstream, after all Dobson's first book was on spanking. Dobson, James C. (1977-02). Dare to Discipline. Of course spanking is an entry drug leading to death penalty calling for assassinations and starting of wars.

I was being snarky in the above paragraph. It looks like a carry over Jesus People group from the 70s making itself mainstream. Jesus People groups were all shapes and sizes, I used to be one. I went mostly for the basement coffee shop scene. Back then it was mostly single adults and teen agers. Typically fundamentalist/charismatic. The Cultness depended on the leader of course, whether he wanted a cult or not.

Most of the Jesus People either dropped out or got sucked up into Assembly of God church. This looks like a group instead of merging, made their own organization. Eventually, people get married, have kids. Must be family friendly, including of course, spanking seminars.

It does seem to be quite authoritarian and "scare the hell out of you" oriented.

I wouldn't recommend prosecution unless actual criminal activity occurs. Even then, I wouldn't recommend full military assault with Bradley fighting vehicles equipped with banned chemical agents, you know, like Waco, 1993.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by pthena]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I never saw much difference between Christianity and cults. To actually be a "member" you have to subscribe to a strict, very specific (relatively speaking) ideology with a short list of rituals, performing which rites on which days, etc. Soaking hands in pig's blood is, to me, not very different - and perhaps less ambiguous - than Christians drinking wine and being told it is the blood of their savior. Basically, a cult is an organized religion that hasn't become mainstream yet.

new topics

top topics

join