It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Just another note on this. This shows the heart of Constance McMillen.

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."

I think the saddest part of this whole exercise is the fact that the locals are doing this to their own. These 'outsiders' were not trucked in by some 'damn Yankee lawyers' to create a showdown...these are all children of the community.

The other kids have been given a fine exercise in ostracizing those seen as 'the other' in their midst. Nice foundation on which to build a life in a rich and diverse society. I mean...the kids will leave town sooner or later, right? Boy, are they in for a surprise!!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Heard the latest regarding FACEBOOK?

I haven't verified it yet - so if "you" have - please post.

These people are disgusting.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Heard the latest regarding FACEBOOK?

I haven't verified it yet - so if "you" have - please post.

For those who wondered how her classmates treated her, this is the page they created on Facebook.

Constance quit yer cryin

Edited to add: Looks like the page got pwned by gay rights activists and people with a conscience.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Kennit]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Well honestly, what did you guys expect? That the people of Fulton, Mississippi were just going to let an outside group of thugs like the ACLU come into their town and tell them how they ought to run a society? No way!

I'll give the parents AND students of that town props for standing up for what they believe in and banding together against what they perceived to be a common foe - the ACLU telling them that they have to accept an evil, perverted lifestyle in the midst of their society. I say good on them!

And one more thing, the school district DID comply with the judge's order by providing a prom to Constance. The judge didn't say there had to be a certain number of attendees or that a second prom couldn't be held at the same time. What they did might be perceived as rude and outrageous, but against the judge's orders? Doubtful.

Face it - not all of America is going to bow to YOUR idea of what's right or what the ACLU says is right. Those kids that attended the secret prom aren't going to be haunted at all - they had a great time and they didn't have to have suffer the "godlike" ego of Constance McMillen in their midst telling them that the will of the minority is better than the will of the majority and is worth costing the rest of them a prom over it.

Constance was happy at the fake prom, the rest of the town was happy at the secret prom. Everyone's happy. Constance can now move to someplace more accepting of a gay lifestyle. Case closed.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Well honestly, what did you guys expect? That the people of Fulton, Mississippi were just going to let an outside group of thugs like the ACLU come into their town and tell them how they ought to run a society? No way!

I'll give the parents AND students of that town props for standing up for what they believe in and banding together against what they perceived to be a common foe - the ACLU telling them that they have to accept an evil, perverted lifestyle in the midst of their society. I say good on them!

Isn't that special? Here's a thought...stats tell us that one in ten are gay. So, given all of the people you know...friends, associates...family...divide by 10 and you have the number of gays in your world. If you can't reconcile those numbers, then you can also do the math and figure out how many of those people...good, bad, indifferent...are living lives of desperation as a result of hate-filled invective such as yours.

Could be anybody...could be you.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Agreed.

Originally posted by Kennit
For those who wondered how her classmates treated her, this is the page they created on Facebook.

I'm not even going to go look.
There's plenty of haters right here on ATS - I don't need to read that ignorance elsewhere. But thanks for the update.

This is the struggle. This is what all oppressed people go through. And like women and black people before them, gay people will fight the fight and come out on the other side.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Real mature with the facebook. I would bet money it was made by a parent or one of the posters of this thread who support bigotry. Losers.

I looked, Ill post to it after work today, but everything I am going to say has already been said.

Mississippi is not a state I will ever be going to, ever.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

She got her prom, it follows the letter of the ruling, and now they are sueing for damages. What damages...this was about money from the get go, and always seems to be with the aclu........as far as the FB page, who cares, contrary to what some people think, the aclu and Constance aren't the only ones whose opinion matters, nor should it b e the only one heard.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
She got her prom, it follows the letter of the ruling, and now they are sueing for damages. What damages...this was about money from the get go, and always seems to be with the aclu........as far as the FB page, who cares, contrary to what some people think, the aclu and Constance aren't the only ones whose opinion matters, nor should it b e the only one heard.

I know we respectfully disagree on this issue, but do you not see something intrinsically wrong with satisfying the letter of the law...as they see it...by having a 'queers and retards only' party? Is that really the message we ought to be sending our youth?

The abrogation of civil rights is a very slippery slope, as is creating a group of 'others' in society, who are somehow not worthy of the rights and considerations accorded the majority?

Frankly, it is shabby affairs such as this that help me to understand how some people can embrace the concept of ethnic cleansing...not to mention lynch mobs.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Not entirely sure that the state of Mississippi cares really. How does someone anti gay and lesbian = BIGOT exactly? Seems that everytime someone stands up for what's right they get labeled a bigot. I'm thinking that the girl's parents should have taken the reigns a long time ago. Perhaps if they had been parents to begin with this would have never happened. I mean seriously people, I remember when I was in school and i did something wrong and my parents were called, the first words out of my parents mouths was "What did you do". Now parents fight tooth and nail to defend their rotten kids instead of teaching them to accept responsibility and consequences.
In short I'd say the poor misquided girl needs a timeout.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
How does someone anti gay and lesbian = BIGOT exactly? Seems that everytime someone stands up for what's right they get labeled a bigot.

Seems that it was the girl, Constance, who stood up for what was right. The bigotry followed.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

What was right that she stood up for? Being a Lesbian teenager with obvious hormonal issues that decided if she couldn't get what she wanted she'd cause as much fuss as possible until she was pacified? You just helped make my earlier point. What next? If a child doesn't like the school start times that they should take it to the state supreme court? Give me a break.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

She got her prom, it follows the letter of the ruling, and now they are sueing for damages. What damages...

The judge ruled that her first amendment rights were violated. Remember? There were 2 rulings in the case.

1. Her first amendment rights were violated
2. The school will not be forced to have a prom

When one's Constitutional rights are violated, they can sue for damages. This isn't about the prom. It's about the Constitution. Do you support the Constitution? If your Constitutional rights were violated by someone, would you sue them?

Since the judgment, it has been known that they would follow up on the judges findings.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

What was right that she stood up for? Being a Lesbian teenager with obvious hormonal issues that decided if she couldn't get what she wanted she'd cause as much fuss as possible until she was pacified? You just helped make my earlier point. What next? If a child doesn't like the school start times that they should take it to the state supreme court? Give me a break.

Your argument would hold a little more water if you could explain to me just how sexual orientation relates to school start times?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Because she is a minor who had an issue with a rule set on EVERYONE by the school district. My arguement is that as a minor she should know her place. She is a hormonal teenage girl. That alone should say enough that her issue is her issue and should remain. If she chooses a lifestyle that is outside the norm then that is her business. Her parents should have been there to make sure it stayed her business.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I respectfully have to disagree, this a furthering of a get rich quick scheme. If this wasn't about money, why seek monetary damages, there weren't any monetary damages, yet they will seek a huge financial windfall. If, this had come about withut the "damages", it would have made it more believable to me. She had a prom, it's done, time to use that free 30,000 dollar scholarship and get on with her life.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Because she is a minor who had an issue with a rule set on EVERYONE by the school district. My arguement is that as a minor she should know her place. She is a hormonal teenage girl. That alone should say enough that her issue is her issue and should remain. If she chooses a lifestyle that is outside the norm then that is her business. Her parents should have been there to make sure it stayed her business.

Well, if I get to the point where I know we are talking apples and ducks, and I don't figure that's about to change, then I see no reason to continue that particular discussion. Have a good life, hope your kids aren't gay.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

They won't be because I'm an actual parent who actually pays attention to my child. I am a loving father who is an active part of my son's life. He sees a loving father and mother everyday. My wife and I don't work two jobs a piece to be able to buy everything in life we do not need. I work and my wife stays at home with our son, not because she has to but because we both decided it was the best thing for our son. You chhose not to engage in this arguement because this one I actually make a good point to you. It is about a lesbian but we are not arguing the lesbian part and it urkes you that a Christian is not taking that angle.

Again I'll take the stand that I have always taken. PARENTS should take responsibility for their children and quit putting it off onto the schools and doctors and the government. Everytime you turn around the doctors have another syndrome to label a malaction for our children. "Your child has ADD, it's not his fault he's failing", "I'm sorry Mrs Smith your child does not have Autism", "but he's so bad doc, what could it be","Well he's damn near autistic, let's just name this asburger and treat him as such"
ADD, ADHD, asberger, terets, ocd, how about just needs a spanking. Not beating, but a spanking. Discipline people.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

They won't be because I'm an actual parent who actually pays attention to my child. I am a loving father who is an active part of my son's life. He sees a loving father and mother everyday.
You chhose not to engage in this arguement because this one I actually make a good point to you. It is about a lesbian but we are not arguing the lesbian part and it urkes you that a Christian is not taking that angle.

Two points in finality:
a) Lots of gays have great, loving parents. That has squat to do with sexual orientation...and you can't 'cure' homosexuality with either spankings or exorcism.
b) I am concluding our discussion because, as my Mom always said "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.”

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I respectfully have to disagree,

With what?

People seek monetary (nominal or punitive) damages ALL THE TIME! Why is this case different? A doctor is negligent and a patient dies. The family sues for damages. They can't get their relative back, so they sue for punitive damages. A defective lawnmower blade flies off and cuts a guy's foot off. They can't sue for the foot. They sue for punitive damages. Not just medical bills.

A prisoner is denied a religious handbook. He sues for nominal damages (the ACLU sued for him, by the way).

ACLU Freedom of Religion Suits

If this wasn't about money, why seek monetary damages

Either to show that the school was indeed wrong (nominal) or to punish the school so they won't do it again. The district was legally found to be at fault. You can't just step all over people's rights and then go on as if nothing happened.

I don't know if this case is asking punitive or nominal damages, but most freedom of speech cases ask for nominal. Court charges, plus a little more.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join