It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Room with a View

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Moon Room with a View

NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter recently photographed a "lava skylight," a gaping hole in an underground lava tube on the moon. The real lava-tube cave, estimated to be a quarter mile wide, would offer an ideal habitat for future moon explorers. Subsurface lava tubes would protect colonists from meteorite bombardment, radiation, lunar dust contamination, and be free from the large swings in temperature through the lunar day-night cycle. At least 67 lava tubes have been identified on the lunar nearside. But this is the only one to date that is known to have a skylight.

I found this article really interesting. Perhaps we are one step closer to colonizing the moon? What do you think, ATS?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I believe that the us and russian military has already done so.
Possibly other countries involved as well such as UK, Japan and Germany.

Don't forget work on the space shuttle began in 1954. we didn't see it until 1980.

that speaks volumes to how a project of this scale can indeed be hidden.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Great point. So you think we already have people on the moon? Or that we are closer to achieving this than we think?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Ive seen a lot of pro moon colony material and so far non of it has stood up to closer inspection. Just the cost involved in colonization would be enough to make it go at a snails pace. Even if they did start back in the 50's.

So far i cant think of a reason why we would colonize the moon, and if we did, to keep it a secret. Its not as if theres national security or economic reason like with UFO's.

There would have been far more space shuttle launches than there have been to get the materials there. I would love it if we did but untill someone proves this without a shadow of a doubt. I cant accept this theory.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I read the article.
Am I alone in thinking that it is quite a reach to refer to this feature as a skylight?

It is a "gaping hole" in a lava tube.

I picture something with a window, some sort of glazing when I hear the word skylight.

Don't get me wrong, it is very interesting. It could be very useful in facilitating future lunar colonization by humans.

S and F Smylee

[edit on 11-3-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

There would have been far more space shuttle launches than there have been to get the materials there. I would love it if we did but untill someone proves this without a shadow of a doubt. I cant accept this theory.

This makes sense to me. After all, its not like you can launch a shuttle in secret.

I read the article.
Am I alone in thinking that it is quite a reach to refer to this feature as a skylight?
reply to post by butcherguy

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a stretch myself. But I guess they thought it would be more interesting to word it that way.

As to possible uses, what would happen if they started to use the moon as a landfill? Has this been looked into?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Have you never heard of a cave with a sky light? Or do they just call them caves with "gaping holes"?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1xion325alpha

Have you never heard of a cave with a sky light? Or do they just call them caves with "gaping holes"?
No, I haven't.
I'm not saying they don't call them that, I'm not a spelologist or even a spelunker.

Just saying, as a layman to cave terminology, my thoughts went to a glazed over area, sorry about that.

You are absolutely right, along with the author of the article.

Look what I found......sky·light
(sklt)
n.
1. An overhead window, as in a roof, admitting daylight.
2. Light from the sky.
3. A hole in the congealed surface of a lava flow, through which flowing lava can be seen

Source: The Free Dictionary

Now I know.

Thanks.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I found this article really interesting. Perhaps we are one step closer to colonizing the moon? What do you think, ATS?

I don't know how close we are to actually have people living on the Moon. But there are certainly people interested in colonizing the Moon, Mars and other planetary bodies, and some of these people want to make money.

This year there will be held a symposium called "First Joint Meeting of theSpace Resources Roundtable and the Planetary & Terrestrial Mining Sciences Symposium":

PURPOSE AND SCOPE

The Space Resources Roundtable, Inc. (SRR) and the Planetary & Terrestrial Mining Sciences Symposium (PTMSS) in collaboration with the Colorado School of Mines and the Lunar and Planetary Institute, will convene their first joint meeting on June 8-10, 2010 at Colorado School of Mines, in Golden, CO.

The Space Resources Roundtable brings together space professionals, natural resources industry personnel, and entrepreneurs interested in developing the resources of space, including the Moon, Mars, asteroids, comets, and other bodies of this solar system. The goal of the Space Resources Roundtable is to advance prospects for the commercial development of space resources through information exchange among government, commercial, and academic organizations.

The purpose of the Planetary & Terrestrial Mining Sciences Symposium is to promote a closer relationship between the space and mining sectors. The intent is to allow mining experts to network with space scientists and engineers, to share knowledge, and to foster collaboration.

The recent shift in NASA's strategy for space exploration presents unique implications to both near and longterm plans for the search and utilization of space resources. This first joint meeting of the SRR and PTMSS will provide a forum for discussion on the potential opportunities available for space resources research and technology development in this new environment.

www.isruinfo.com...
(pdf)

I can't help wonder if some future wars here on Earth will be about who has the right to mine where in space. We are after all just greedy humans...

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well... apparently something or some one is already on the moon if I can believe just a tiny bit of all the speculation around the issue.

Like Neill Armstrong, who never said a word about it.

Buzz Lightyear Aldrin who tells the most amazing stories.

Nasa that suddenly admits there's water on the Moon after India found the evidence. What IMO is a strange way of info to go public.

They never went back.

The footage I see they took filming it is always till they bombed the Moon ( Last time I watched.) black and white. Don't tell me colours aren't visible up there. ( Nothing really happened IMO at last nothing I could identify as a bombing of the Moon )

Oh I'd like to ad that a launch can be most definitely in secret.
There happens to be a mobile sea launch platform. Build from what once was an oil rig. There is more then enough ocean around for not getting spotted at all. Radar etc. from other countries not telling this happens could just as well because The Moon is a 'Joint Venture'.

Who knows ?

Great thread by the way !
S&F

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Do you really think an old oil rig can withstand multiple shuttle launches?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cowboys703

I think that they have shuttle launch capability from Vandenburg AF Base.

I would guess that the military would have built a launch site somewhere away prying eyes, like some atoll in the Pacific Ocean. Somewhere to spend some black budget money, ya know.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Wouldn't surprise me, just seems like an oil rig is a poor choice to launch shuttles when there are plenty of small islands far away from prying eyes.

Not saying I believe there are secret launches or not. I'd have to see some evidence first.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cowboys703

It really exists. There was a whole documentary on the discovery channel about it a few years ago.
They obviously upgraded and reinforced it. But it works just fine. The ESA was at that time using it to fire satellites in orbit.

Here you go a Wiki link
And another.
From Ship to Space – Rocket Platforms at Sea

Convinced ?

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Learn something new everyday. Star for your efforts

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Maybe that's how the aliens and humans on the Moon are traveling sometimes?
Maybe they've built an underground subway system?

new topics

top topics

join