It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Gamer or Rat in a Skinner Box? Sorry but...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Are You an Online Gamer or A Rat Trapped in a Skinner Box?

The Answer Might Frighten You.

Here is a snippet from an article discussing the proven behavior modification techniques used buy video game creators that are designed to get you addicted.

So... Do you REALLY think that you are above being conditioned?

Sort of an abstract of the article:

So, the headlines say somebody else has died due to video game addiction. Yes, it's Korea again. What the hell? Look, I'm not saying video games are heroin. I totally get that the victims had other # going on in their lives. But, half of you reading this know a World of Warcraft addict and experts say video game addiction is a thing. So here's the big question: Are some games intentionally designed to keep you compulsively playing, even when you're not enjoying it? Oh, hell yes. And their methods are downright creepy.

Link to the sourced article.

Please forgive me if this article has been discussed and delete the thread.

[edit on 3/10/2010 by Josephus23]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Know when to say when.

If you can not control your habits then its nobodys fault but your own..

I play wow but i aint on it 16 hrs a day, only 15 and a half.. I use moderation..

People need to stop blaming crap on others and deal with things on thier own..

For real..

The only sickness I see on this planet is nobody giving a crap about anyone else but themselves and chasing thier god in the form of 1's, 5's 10's and 20's.

The rest is to kill the pain of such screwed up and twisted life we live in..

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

While I do agree with you in idealistic theory, the research shows that behaviors, when reinforced properly, become compulsive.

This is the idea behind public relations and the entire basis for Skinners theory on Radical Behaviorism.

I know that people like to think that they possess the cognitive faculties to control one's behaviors, and some do, but most are compulsive addicts driven by irrational impulses.

This may suck to acknowledge, but the research backs up the validity of scheduling positive reinforcement in order to modify behavior.

Sorry to break it to you man.

But it is the sad, oh so very sad, truth.

link   
I think the only people who are able to be conditioned by games are those with an IQ being closest to a rat itself.

to summarize, ..... only people with weak minds, slow lives, who have a hard time discerning reality from fantasy, are the types who play games to the point of sickness or death.

link   
I never got into WoW..simply wasn't my thing. I tried...I used the free trial, but just never seen the luster.

now...left for dead...I tossed away a ton of hours on that and the followup..but thats different...see, I am fighting back a zombie apocolypse...if it wasn't for me and my steam friends, you lot would all be freaking infected...

on a different note...video games is a exit from reality. it is a controlled world without any real consequence. It is a new form of a drug trip...so of course its addicting for people whom simply need to focus on something besides reality.

Billionares dont need video games...they already have their consequence free game going in reality...most forms of entertainment is designed to keep the top where they are at and keep the bottoms stupified and content.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
They do this same thing at work under the guise of employee moral activities. Pizza parties, points systems, stars on a board, comment letters on a wall, pay raises, promotions, etc. The same concept is applied in every facet of our life to keep us motivated. Open a magazine and you will see all the rewards of products they are selling...buy this, buy that...get white teeth, regrow your hair. Investors are motivated by numbers ticking up and down. We are all living in one big box. The thing I do enjoy about video games is that it is the only environment I can be rich in.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I wouldn't be so arrogant to think that your behaviors cannot be modified without your knowing.

Do you put a seat belt on when you drive or ride in a car?

Do you drink tap water knowing that it contains a rat poison called fluoride?

Do you say yes sir or no sir to a police officer or other person of authority?

We are all products of reinforcement. That is how the brain instigates behaviors.

You can thank this part of the brain for those uncontrollable impulses that must be effectively filtered by this part of the brain.

We are all just slightly evolved monkeys who are too arrogant to admit our weaknesses.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

I think the only people who are able to be conditioned by games are those with an IQ being closest to a rat itself.

to summarize, ..... only people with weak minds, slow lives, who have a hard time discerning reality from fantasy, are the types who play games to the point of sickness or death.

I think I have issue with everything you said.

conditioning to games is the same as conditioning to television, websites, etc...its basically false external stimulus. the ego is conditioned by stimuli...be it real or electronic.

reality from fantasy...since man has had the ability to speak, we have been on the quest to understand what truely is reality v fantasy. look in a mirror and see either a great person or a hairless ape releasing putrid juices and fumes from various holes is a perspective, which is real and which is not real.

the best way to feel better about yourself is to not build yourself up, but to push others down. it creates the illusion of superiority...but superiority is simply an illusion, a fantasy..and isn't that exactly what you did in your posting there by pushing down people that are exactly like you?

as far as the whole play to death...well, again, whats the difference between playing for 3 days straight and dropping verses watching tv for 25 years and dropping from a heart attack due to lack of exercise...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
i played ut 99 quake3 and the likes (totally pwned at ut)

played wow a little (haha ok i have an 80 and im an alta-holic), but ive been sober now for over a year.

did suffer withdrawls over Age of Conan, but ive been clean for a year on that too. almost got sucked back in when my friend got it, but thankfully my internet sucks
(the only reason ive been thankful of that)

but yes. i would say it can be addicting. this guy proves it....

but yet, these people do this to themselves. in an age of uncertain spiritual angst, what else are the lost supposed to do?

i was studying game design at SCAD and i learned to debate the violent games dont make violent people argument very well.

i think addiction and violence are inherent in people, after they have been shown that it is possible.

its kinda like, you wouldnt know you had an addictive personality until someone had you try it. you would have had no addictions prior, until someone showed you how nice it is (i use the term nice loosely).

people need to get outside more. including me

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I must go actually engage in a life (speaking of addictions to something.... ummm....
ATS anyone?)

I will return to answer responses.

NO INSULTS.

This thread will not be derailed by individuals who do not know how to debate and make it personal.

Cheers everybody.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wait. You're trusting Cracked.com - a comedy site - as a trustworthy source of information?

WTF?

EDIT: Went and read the article. I was surprised; Cracked actually using resources? Wow.
Very interesting. But even if this is true, what's your point?

[edit on 3/10/2010 by Golden Boy]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

The first stage of enlightenment is admitting that you know nothing.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golden Boy
Wait. You're trusting Cracked.com - a comedy site - as a trustworthy source of information?

WTF?

The source is bogus, but the concept itself fair.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Im not sure those are really behavior modifications....

I'm conscious everytime I wear a seatbelt, and usualy only do it when I'm driving to avoid a ticket or when driving at high speeds.

I have a water purifier

I don't talk that way to police, instead I try to level with them, perhaps find an angle to relate to them.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

The first stage of enlightenment is admitting that you know nothing.

At least from that point one has room in their brain to put something.

Great responses by the way. Thanks for the contribution.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'll put my neck on the line and agree with you on this. From a VERY recent experience.

Always been a Final Fantasy fan, and after the new one, I'm probably going to stay that way. I picked up my copy yesterday morning, as soon as Gamestop opened, Lo and behold , I fell in love with the game.

12 hours later, my girlfriend is complaining about why I haven't touched a single morsel of food all day. I couldn't tell her, the thought of food never once crossed my mind. The game subconciously kept this hungry stoner, from even once getting the munchies.

Yeah they know what they're doing.
Especially when you see the content of the story in 13. It reeks of more of that Illuminati, we do this in real life, but we'll show you in a game so it doesn't seem possible. Already had "The purge" or migration of "contaminated citizens", which in actuallity was a a massacre that the Elite pulled, all while the FF media lies to the unsuspecting people.

My first thought....Israeili West Bank. Just saying......

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Golden Boy

Argument ad hominem.

If you have a problem with the information then quote it, and question it with a response and a link.

I could just as easily make the same pejorative allusion to ANY MSM outlet.

Learn how to debate.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Are you not sure, or do you not want to admit that you're behaviors are manipulated DAILY without you knowing?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Oh you forget the original Freakout!

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I wasn't trying to push anyone down Saturn, ..

and I wasn't talking about the average gamer either,

I'm talking about the people who let video games, ... or anything else rule their lives. I'm saying it's NOT ok to let your self be conditioned to such a point, and we should avoid it at all costs.

my seconds comment was gear'd more for those crazy koreans, ... you have to say something is seriously wrong when someone plays a game till sickness, death, ... or allowing their daughter to die, as in the other thread posted last week.

and my comment was not far from the truth, at all, .... in fact the couple said somethign along the lines of " we played so much because we didn't enjoy our lives, and wanted to escape"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join