It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient DNA samples could open the door to cloning long-extinct species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Ancient DNA samples could open the door to cloning long-extinct species

www.msnbc.msn.com

While dinosaur eggs remain a challenge, the scientists have already collected DNA for the largest bird that ever lived — the elephant bird Aepyornis — that stood around 10 feet tall and weighed around 880 pounds. Attempts to retrieve DNA from elephant bird bone previously failed, so eggshells may prove to be a more reliable source.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I couldn't imagine a 10 foot bird flying around that weighed 880 pounds that would be scary and exciting all at the same time. I don't think we would be safe from it but man I would love to see something like that alive. I wonder if it would taste like chicken!!
. Some small dinosaurs would be exciting as well

Anyways I just thought this was a great article and thought you guys might like it as well. Have a great day!!

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-3-2010 by Trudge]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

Oh man...I hope that they're not just trying to bring this thing back to have giant omelets and buffalo wings...
Although, I'm wondering how much fun it would be to ride one of those things...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
As a small kid,I was certain sure that one day I would have my very own pet dinosaur...Maybe it ain't too late?

Just for the love of god,please do not weaponise or factory farm the poor critters.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh... staggers me. I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that they're using: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. They read what others had done and took the next step. They didn't earn the knowledge themselves, so they don't take any responsibility for it. They stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as they could and before they even knew what they had they patented it, packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well when they clone this thing I just hope that its not around on wash day.

But It would be a thing to see a ten foot bird, although it just might play hell with aircraft.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The bird in question could not fly. Think of it as an over-sized ostrich.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sargon of Akkad

Hmm.... Maybe we could have races with them

Thank you very much for the info, I didn't know they couldn't fly, they should have put that in the article.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Personally, I think these species that are long extinct should stay that way.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sargon of Akkad
Better yet, think of it as a over-sized ostrich that kills.

I remember reading that these critters could have killed a horse with its beak or claws, with ease.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

So exciting!

Frank Purdue and his poultry company own the rights to these genetic codes. Bravely exploring this new genetic research frontier and generously funding the scientific research teams.

I am kidding.
Lying really. (as far as I know!)

Nothing like this could ever happen in America.
We have the highest and finest ethical standards directing all our scientific research.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think this is a ridiculous waste of time and energy.

What exactly is the point of cloneing these critters?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by I.C. Weiner

Is that not word for word what is said on Jurassic Park?
It sounds very, very familiar.
Regardless I agree.

Raist

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
The lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh... staggers me. I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that they're using: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. They read what others had done and took the next step. They didn't earn the knowledge themselves, so they don't take any responsibility for it. They stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as they could and before they even knew what they had they patented it, packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox.

Haha, Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies!

I agree that we should not attempt to bring these species back - but I think learning about their DNA is fantastic.

Deep down I would love to see something like Jurassic Park where we can observe these long extinct beasts, but at the same time I know it's something that shouldn't be done.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
They can't fly? They're like an ostrich, except bigger? So if we clone these things we'll have...

Chocobos?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griever0311
They can't fly? They're like an ostrich, except bigger? So if we clone these things we'll have...

Chocobos?

LOL... that was what I was thinking

top topics

join