It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not be a slave to your emotions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Good evening ATS

I thought i'd give out this message to people, due to all the fear and suffering at the moment, people seem to be getting kinda down.

Well, it's a simple message really. Don't be a slave to yourself. You are your emotions. You control them, they are a slave to you. Actually, i want to put the slave bit aside; you work equally with them.

I used to think that there were good emotions/feelings and bad ones. This is BS. Its like the force really; there isn't a good side or a dark side, just two different perceptions.

I started drawing up chains of emotions, like how the littlest thing can lead to something drastic. This is probably the simplest one:

Annoyance > Frustration > Anger > Violence > Hate

I classified anger as a negative emotion and hate. Whenever i felt angry i used to block it out, i used to tell myself that i should not feel anger. Well, i'm human, its natural. Instead of hiding from myself and blocking it out, i need to learn to work with it. I don't let my anger build up and let the rest of the chain continue, i just simply acknowledge it, and "store" it for a time when it is needed. I'll get onto that in a minute.
The two factors leading up to anger are generally external and are caused by other people/things that aren't working correctly and are generally hard to stop. Again, just acknowledge them.
Violence can save your life, so i'll get onto that in a mo, but ill only briefly cover it as it is a long story.
And now onto hate. Well, if we do have to create sides, hate and love will be opposite sides of the system. But in reality, what do they both do? Love creates a connection between you and a person, and really, so does hate. keep your friends close, but your enemies closer? You are connected to your friends through love, and you are also connected to your enemies. Although you may not "hate" them, you are connected to them through a negative bond, which could lead to hate. Although i would strongly urge that you do not allow yourself to hate anything, as it is almost impossible to be controlled; so again, just acknowledge it.

Now, onto how to use the stored "negative" emotions for the greater good. Alot of people can store anger and negativity their whole life, and generally they can be quite depressed. This is not controlling them. You do not want them to get ontop of you, you just want to work with them.
Imagine i'm in a life or death situation; fight or flight. Now, cancel out the flight mode, because you're surrounded by 20 men with knives. Did i mention these men were all 6ft+?
Your only choice is to fight, and this is where your anger comes in. Now, i'm not preaching to run around and "unleash your anger" on everyone, but when life or death situations happen, and you've only got one options, peace is not it. Now all you out there who are gonna pull some ridiculous line like "Well, peace is the way of Ghandi" or something, then i suggest you do research. Ghandi said that if you know violence, and situations arise when violence is the only option, it is acceptable. I can't remember the exact quote, but its along those lines.
Okay, so i over exaggerated a little bit on the men with knives, but the point is, that anger can be turned into aggression and could save your life.

Now onto the flow of emotions:

Imagine you are in the doctors, and (s)he has to jab a big ass needle in your arm, or perform some sort of move that would hurt on you. Sometimes you may be given something to bite down on, squeeze, pull etc. What will then happen is that the doctor will perform the move on you, and you will obviously feel pain. You squeeze the stress ball given to you, and you are subconsciously performing an energy flow/change.
This is how it could look:

Pain > Anger > release

The pain could make you angry and you then convert that anger into aggression which is released by squeezing etc.

Suffering around the world seems to be piling up at the moment, with all the recent earthquakes etc and people get depressed.
Many times in my life have i seen people cry for days on end, take months/years off work to deal with a family member dying or something and it kind of annoys me. (remember, i just acknowledge that annoyance
)
This could sound awfully cold, but i'm gonna go ahead anyway.
Get over it.
Sure, people are dying, but people die everyday. Maybe your mother has died, but crying around for years wont help. If anything it's a very selfish thing to do. Its true that people are empathetic, and i don't know about you, but when i see a sad person, i get a little sad myself. Do you want to pass on your great depression onto everyone else?
Crying around and being upset doesn't help you in any way. Sure, you can cry for abit, i'm not telling you to hide from it, but just dont let it control you.
And besides, i'm going to make a sweeping generalisation here, but most people are Christians, and aslong as the person you know that just died was a good person, shouldn't you be happy for them? I mean, they're off to heaven!

So really, all i'm trying to say in this long drawn out thread is that your emotions are not factors that control you, they shouldn't prevent you from doing things, they should be yours to use, and to work with. Everyone has a good use, its just knowing when each emotion is needed.

Thankyou,

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the flags guys. I guess as long as this is being read and taken note of then tha'ts good, but really, does no body have anything to say?

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacobNH
You are your emotions.

I think this is a little misleading. We are not our emotions. They are not a part of our true self. Though they can control you if you don't learn to control them.

When you have a negative emotion, stop and watch your mind. Observe it as if it is not a part of you. Learn why you had the emotion, recognize the pattern you always fall in when the emotion is triggered and make an effort to break that habit of giving into your emotions.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, as i believe our emotions are a fragment of us. Are you saying our true self is emotionless? Unable to love or to be compassionate?

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Don't be a slave to yourself. You are your emotions.

I do not consider The "I" that I AM my emotions. They are not the same therefor I AM not my emotions. True Self is emotionless.

i believe our emotions are a fragment of us

Then would you say that "you" are not complete (fragmented) or do you think that there are many of "you"? If there are many of you, then could it be that some of these "fragments" you see as one of the "you's", is not actually "you"....(that being the "I" AM) at all.

How many of "you" can there possibly be?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

Emotions, mind, body, spirit. They are the parts of me. Of course there is confusion between whether your emotions are classed as the mind or is the mind if really something else, but i'd rather not get into that.
They are the things that make up me.

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, as i believe our emotions are a fragment of us. Are you saying our true self is emotionless? Unable to love or to be compassionate?

Namaste.

I'm not really sure. I think there are still emotions, but only the higher vibrating emotions. The lower ones that we need to learn to control aren't a part of us until we come to the lower vibrating dimensions.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Eckhart Tolle goes over this very well in his book called A New Earth: Awakening your lifes purpose.

I gave many copies to my friends, now we're all a bit happier.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue

Namaste.

I'm not really sure. I think there are still emotions, but only the higher vibrating emotions. The lower ones that we need to learn to control aren't a part of us until we come to the lower vibrating dimensions.

I quite like that actually, i'm gonna agree with you on that. I mean that at this current stage in life, we are our emotions; but when we "awaken" (i hate that phrase) we will only feel higher vibrations ones. Good stuff.

reply to post by CanadianDream420

I'll check the book out, thankyou for the input.

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You are not your body, because your body is yours

you are not your thoughts, because your thoughts are yours

you are not your emotions, because your emotions are yours

does this sound right?

This is still a very new concept to me and would like to know what you make of it

I believe emotions tend to attach themselves to memories and during the occasional "flashback" we can relive and recreate the feelings we had during that event in our lives. If you choose to spend your life giving in, or even running away from your emotions and never face them honestly, they could manifest in other harmful, unhealthy habits or activities and STILL (without you even knowing it) control "You" as an individual.

As long as your emotions control you, you will remain in a stagnant, non-changing state of mind.

Anything that remains stagnant dies. (in both literal and figurative sense)

Guess you just have to evolve if you want to survive.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Just sit in full lotus.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Mr Green

Emotions, mind, body, spirit. They are the parts of me. Of course there is confusion between whether your emotions are classed as the mind or is the mind if really something else, but i'd rather not get into that.
They are the things that make up me.

www.youtube.com...

Why I AM not my emotions. Why the I AM is emotionless.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
When I feel emotion, I really feel it! this is who I am, I don't consider myself a slave to them, they are just a part of who I am, an important part!

When I feel sadness, seriously I get down, so down, I can cry at a tv or for somebody i've never met, so when that sadness is personal even for slight things, I get very very emotional! I have always felt other peoples sadness or happiness and though it gets straining, I don't think I would change it at all, because it has helped develop me in ways I don't think I would have without being like this!

So no, I wouldn't call myself a slave to my emotions to begin with, thay are a big part of me!

new topics

top topics

join