It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Advice for Recording Music To My Computer ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hi all, after learning a few covers I've been thinking about trying to record some music to my computer.

Unfortunately I only have a crappy Mic, which is actually a Mic/Cam.

I've never recorded any audio, and to be honest, have no idea where to start..... I'd also like to be able to play, and record over my previous recording .... to add another instrument or even sound effects.

I know there are some tech savvy musicians around,

can anyone help me out ?? or offer any advice ?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
We need to establish exactly what your intent and willingness to spend are before getting too deep into it.

I see that you want to do something referred to as "multitracking," in that you want to be able to go back and record multiple tracks independently in the same session. What you need for this is a DAW. A good one to start with, if you have a mac is garageband.

Alternative DAWs:
Reason (more for electronic instruments that use midi)
Pro Tools
Logic (the pro version of garageband basically)
Digital Performer
Cubase
Cooleditpro (its called something else now i think)

There are alot more.

Secondly, you'll need some kind of input device to communicate with the computer and definitely at least a cheapo mic to record with.

Again, it all depends how serious you want to get. I have a studio in my home so I have a tendency to get carried away with it.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wows Santa Clause, ......

Yeah a few months ago my friend spent like 800 dollars on a mixer/recorder thing as well as protools, ... I'm not trying to spend that kind of money.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do with my existing Mic ?? any shortcuts or cheats I could use ??

I know I can record on Cam the very least, I'm kinda sure I can record only audio, ...... but there must be some sort of way I can record as i playback no ??

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yeah, if you get garageband. I think sony made something called acid that you can also use, but I don't think that's the name for it anymore.

To be honest if its a cam/mic I suggest just writing a few songs and putting them live on youtube. It'll at least give you something to work with and some feedback.

Believe me, I've found that many people get frustrated in a hurry without the proper setup and just leave it behind before they even start. I say try something super simple at first, and from that you'll be motivated to update your setup now and then.

As far as the mic in question, I can't really promise you anything in terms of fidelity obviously, but you can try and squeeze as much quality as you can and work from there with edits.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Try Audacity

Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Yup, there is Audacity. I did like playing around with Magix, Music Studio. It may have a slightly different name now, though. Priced quite cheap. Lots of things you can do with it. You could check e-bay for a slightly older version if it if $80 is too much for you new.

Of course, you want a decent sound card to go with this.

Don't know about mic prices, but you could check e-bay for some deals.

Buy things used if you have to, in order to get something with a bit of quality to it.

I don't think you need to go overboard to get a good result. Buy better stuff as you can.

Troy

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice everyone, ....

I really didn't want to go the YouTube route, cause I couldn't bare any negative comments, haha. So I prolly won't Upload anything.

I just wanted to record a few songs to critique in what area's I need to work on, share it with friends, and throw it on my myspace or something.

I'm going to check into Audacity for now.

Rock On.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I've got a cakewalk sonar recording thing for multitracking, but as you now, I also upload to youtube.
Luckily negative feedback doesn't bother me. I was quite proud when one of my videos was rated 1.0

But yeah, I'd say try Audacity. It's supposed to be alright

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I have already U2u'd the OP,but I'll post here a site I had found and a free program to download that may be what he was looking for.

KRISTAL Audio Engine is a powerful multi-track recorder, audio sequencer and mixer - ideal for anyone wanting to get started with recording, mixing and mastering digital audio.

It is designed as a modular system. The main application provides a mixing console, while the audio sequencer, live audio input and so on are loaded as separate Plug-Ins.

It's features are....

KRISTAL Audio Engine

* 16 audio tracks
* 32 Bit floating point audio engine
* 44.1 to 192 kHz sample rate*
* Downmix to 16/24/32 Bit audio files
* 3-band parametric EQ &
* 2 VST insert slots per channel
* 3 VST master effect slots
* ASIO low latency audio driver support
* 4 KRISTAL Plug-In slots
* Load/Save KRISTAL project files
* Supported file formats: WAVE, AIFF, FLAC, OGG Vorbis

Plug ins are

KRISTAL Waver
* the sequencer Plug-In for KRISTAL
* multichannel harddisk recording via ASIO/MME
* ASIO input monitoring
* audio clip arrangement
* audio clip fade-in/fade-out/crossfade
* unlimited undo/redo
* AES31 Export

KRISTAL Effects Plug-Ins

* KristalMultiDelay
* KristalChorus
* KristalReverb
* Kristalizer

I have NO idea what that all means but seems like what a person would need to record and mix music.

Here is the link to this FREE program.

Kristal audio engine.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
All the cool digital audio toys in the world aren't gonna do any good if the source recording sucks. Invest in a good mic and audio input device.

TA

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
You just also can use a external recording device like high frequency Mic which will be very help full also an head-phone with Mic will help you for recording your voice more clearly.

Goji Berry

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is interesting..... both PPTER and P2PU39 posted on the day they registered, ..... both of their posts are also off topic.

Was it someone I know trying to mess with me or something ??

I wonder what their posts said, feel free to u2u me guys.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well, I have seen similar things in other forums recently.

I believe there may be an attempt at spamming with in the site.

Or slackers who just join to post nonsense and then leave.

What ever they posted is of no importance.

But,you do need to invest in a microphone.

It doesn't have to be a super expensive one.

I know locally where you live,$10 will purchase one that will get you started.

Heck,even your cam/mic will record sound.

Stop making excuses and just do it!!!!:bnghd:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

haha, thanks alot for all your advice, .... and the kick in the azz that I desperately needed !!

top topics

join