It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile Earthquake Moved Entire City 10 Feet to the West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Just thought I would share this real quick before I left from work. It's amazing how fragile we really are. The 8.8 in Chile moved the city of Concepcion 10 feet to the west! They found out by before and after GPS readings. I think 10ft is pretty far for a landmass to move.
Source

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
At first I was shocked when I read the headline, but then I remembered reading that it affected the axis of the Earth and increased our rotation by about 1.26 milliseconds (?).

I guess if an earthquake is powerful enough to change the rotation of the earth, moving a city shouldn't be too difficult.

But I do agree....10 feet does seem to be a rather drastic shift.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
To me this is particularly interesting, because in another thread,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I originally proposed that it was the South American plate that was on the move. But since, I have been proposing that it's the Nazca plate that's on the move, because we have been getting quakes that are outlining the Nazca plate. Well, maybe I need to go back to Plan A after seeing this.

What could be happening instead, after seeing this, is that the SA plate is pushing into the Nazca plate, causing the quakes on the Nazca plate, as we have seen. But if that were the case then it would seem that we'd be getting a lot more quakes outlining the SA plate, even on the eastern edges of it, but so far that is not what's been happening. All the quakes continue on the Nazca/SA plate juncture, or on other points on the Nazca plate. Very curious, and thanks for this.

[edit on Mon Mar 8th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
That's amazing!

10 feet doesn't seem that much, until you start thinking of a whole city shifting a full 10 feet..unreal

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
" Do you see all these great buildings, replied Jesus, Not one stone here will be left on another, every one of them will be thrown down." Very Interesting time's we live in, no matter what you believe.....

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Was it subduction? The presence of so many volcanoes in the area would seem to indicate that. It would be interesting to know if their altitude changed, even a tiny bit. Might help with your theory, one way or the other. Could also help to explain the city moving west. The Nazca plate subducting the South American plate.

Just a guess.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

new topics

top topics

join