It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Detention Bill You Ought to Read More Carefully

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

A Detention Bill You Ought to Read More Carefully

www.theatlantic.com

Why is the national security community treating the "Enemy Belligerent, Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act of 2010," introduced by Sens. John McCain and Joseph Lieberman on Thursday as a standard proposal, as a simple response to the administration's choices in the aftermath of the Christmas Day bombing attempt?

A close reading of the bill suggests it would allow the U.S. military to detain U.S. citizens without trial indefinitely in the U.S. based on suspected activity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
assets.theatlantic.com
yubanet.com
jurist.law.pitt.edu

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This is extremely distressing to me. Think about this bill in context with the recent MSM attack on "kooky conspiracy theorists".

Frankly I think the time is coming when our very lives will be threatened by the Feds. I have included a link to the bill itself, in pdf format.

What do you guys think?

www.theatlantic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

Whenever McCain attaches his name to a bill, you can be SURE it will be an attack upon your freedom.

First Campaign finance reform, last week it was a bill to regulate vitamins, forwarding the Codex Alimentarius agenda and now this.

I think this guy is a bigger threat to the American people than Obama ever was. To think, he was presented to the American people as the "conservative " option.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Signs of the times. I expect many more similar bills.

Yes, we should read it more carefully. But in the end, they will pass it if they want to.

The only hope we have right now is that election year has kicked off. I don't think they would pass this bill because of the controversy.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I really hope your right on this one, it seems like these sort of f***** up bills get passed in shorter and shorter time frames.

Heck they don't even read them anymore, I doubt McCain even truly wrote this! He is only the spokesperson.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Whenever McCain attaches his name to a bill, you can be SURE it will be an attack upon your freedom.

I agree here entirely, of course I feel that way about most of congress.

I think this guy is a bigger threat to the American people than Obama ever was. To think, he was presented to the American people as the "conservative " option.

While I am no fan at all of Obama, I can't help but shudder at the thought of McCain and Palin in charge.

Of course I cry when I think of how much different it would be if Ron Paul was elected.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
just more preparation on the governments part for future riots and civil unrest.

i think its nonsense and of course it is unconstitutional, but there are so many things that are unconstitutional coming out of our government these days.

people are really going to have to act soon before it is too late, and there is no recourse to return our civil freedoms to us.

sigh...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

Careful is this bill passes they could drag you off to gitmo and leave you to rot...

Note that the bill applies to suspicion as well as actual acts...welcome to 1984 only 26 or 27 years late.

This sucks!

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Shark_Feeder]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I followed Mr. McCain quite well during his Campaign, and did a lot of background research, and I will strongly disagree with you here.

Not just because the man was shot down over Vietnam, or a POW that was tortures, and didn't relay once piece of information into whereabouts of American bases on their soil, but because he IS a man of honour who loves his country.

Meh... What do I know? I'm just a Canadian.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Past valor in the Vietnam war does not excuse corruption or unconstitutional acts some 40 years later.

If this law is passed it will will qualify as both IMHO.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Part of the problem with the political process in America today is it focuses on style (political personalities) over substance (the actual legislation and what it means).

Style is no indication of substance. Substance on the other hand is.

People need to slow down and examine substance and stop looking to style as the sole or chief determining factor in how they then view the political process and matters of substance.

It’s not about the individual politicians, their style, or personal appeal, its about the substance of the laws being passed and what is really in them and how it effects us.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Not just because the man was shot down over Vietnam, or was a POW and was torture and didn't relay once piece of information into whereabouts of American bases on their soil, but because he IS a man of honour who loves his country.

Meh... What do I know? I'm just a Canadian.

then why does he continue to allow his name to be attached to so many bills that are threatening our civil liberties.

the men that we consider to be honorable from our nation's birth were in their own time considered to be extremist and crazy because they stood against big government and stood for civil liberties.

it is not about republican and democratic.

its about american people losing more and more of thier freedoms.

its about these idiots in office thinking that we are dumb sheep and continuing to force feed us crap and telling us that it is good for us and they know best.

but they are so far removed from the true american public that they treat us like deseased heathens. afraid of us, they only want our money and our votes.

ron paul is a true american.

audit the fed

repeal the health care obama bill

return this country to its people.

nuff said.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

Do you think if this bills passes they will systematically start to imprison American Citizens under false pretenses?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I only skimmed it, it does not look good.

I will wait until further analysis by someone with further legal knowledge than I breaks it down.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Do you think if this bills passes they will systematically start to imprison American Citizens under false pretenses?

Looking at this nation's VERY checkered past I would say its a distinct possibility.

Are you a student of history? It doesn't matter if they use now or in a century it gives government power that defies EVERY principle of our great nation.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

i do. absolutely.

they will start with the rank and file of the tea party movement claiming that they are insiting terrorism and they are evil and so on. they are already labeling them as such now.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
i do. absolutely.

they will start with the rank and file of the tea party movement claiming that they are insiting terrorism and they are evil and so on. they are already labeling them as such now.

I guess we will see, but I doubt it.

Seems they been labeling Sarah Palin as a head figure within the Tea Party movement...

So, "they" are going to arrest her 1st under this bill? or whomever is hosting large rallies?

I'd like to see that happen. On what grounds?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

"Do you think if this bills passes they will systematically start to imprison American Citizens under false pretenses?"

They already are.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'd like to see that happen. On what grounds?

If you would like to see the grounds they would use to round up those who disagree with the government read the proposed bill and comment on that.

As has been stated this isn't about individual politicians, or about your or my overall opinions of the government. This is about the proposed bill.

I have included the bill itself, feel free to read it over and come back to comment on it.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

republicans are naming sara palin. not the tea party movement.

up until very recently the tea party was considered to be a measly fad that would surely go away once the recession ended. unfortunately for the fat and greedy, they continue to grow in both number and strength.

they are essenially leaderless, and it is sickening to see all these politicians trying to shoulder thier way to the trough trying to set themselves at the head of this promising movement.

i SERIOUSLY doubt that Mrs. Palin will be the leader. if anyone i would "like" to see ron paul, but most likely it will be a no-name never heard of person that has not been soured by politics.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join