It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia attorney general to colleges: End gay protections

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by brainwrek
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Think that should apply to business owners as well?

Does the business owner enjoy a right of freedom to associate or not to associate/hire anyone he chooses for whatever reason necessary?

I'm also a business owner and it's nobodys business who, what, or why I hire anyone. But I can tell you straight up...."I don't hire Mooks"

Mooks?

I'm not familiar with the term Waa...

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Damn garden gnomes and their double posts....

[edit on 3/6/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Mooks..........it's from an old M. Scorsesse film. "Mean Streets"

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

NVM I got it the second time I read the post lol.

I don't hire em either

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Anti-discrimination policies were in place in every college and university where I have ever taught, and that goes back further than I care to admit.

If the Attorney General made such a ruling in my state, which is very conservative, maybe some private schools might take advantage of it, but I guarantee the state
-sponsored schools would not.

There have been non-discriminatory policies for too long, and the faculties are too united, for such a policy to fly.

He can make such a ruling but he'd have a damn hard time enforcing it.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

At least two schools here will go for it...jerry foul well's liberty "university" and pat robertsons Regency ""university"" which unfortunately for us the new governor is a graduate of.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well I think they should close the University if they want to support hate.
It severs no positive purpose in the real world.
These hate mongers need to move to an island of their own and leave the rest of the world alone. It is obvious these creatures who spew such hate and hateful opinions obviously hate themselves, and have a problem figuring out if they are straight or gay and are afraid that their peers and families will not accept them for who they really are.
These ignorant cowards love to hide behind religion to give reasons to why they “think” it is wrong.

If the university supports such actions then I can see them pushing laws to banned black and Jews and others, because nothing will stop them.

Are we just going to sit here and take this kind of abuse of our civil rights from these hate mongers.
It is time to throw these people out of office that supports hate and have their own agendas.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by impressme]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
I am not sure he is even correct about this. Employers...state or otherwise have the right to protect whomsoever they please as I understand it. Of course I could be wrong.
Still...the level of hatred ....

This is the state's top lawyer who said this. So, instead of an emotional rant exposing your own level of hatred, why don't YOU do some research and present some conflicting FACTS to ATS readers?

[edit on 6-3-2010 by pumpkinorange]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The states top lawyers have said many things that have been overturned.

If you are suggesting I hate the religious conservatives then you are wrong. I have no respect for them but I do not hate them. What I do hate is them thinking that they have the right to shove their religious viewpoints down everyone else's throats.

IF the constitution's equal protection under the law clause was enforced then there would be no debate because gays would have the exact same rights as straight people.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

And you as a heterosexual have a say in the final life decisions of your partner.

I knew a man whose rabidly funnymentalist parents disowned him for being gay and refused to have anything to do with him. He died from an infection that settled in around the valves of his heart. His parents even refused to give his lover the right to bury him so his grieving partner had to go before a judge and beg for the right.

That is so wrong.

No it's not. He was their son long, long before he ever became this guy's "partner". Even if the partner were a woman and the parents didn't like the woman they could seek legal recourse to have the son buried as they see fit.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by iMacFanatic

interesting list
but he forgot one
to be in a relationship that is able to procreate.

Nice try, but that's not entirely true. The fact is, not all men & women are able to have children. Infertility in men & women is quite common.

Regarding this story. The guy seems to just be a bigot. Maybe he's considering running for some office and wants to get some support from the anti-gay people. Who knows, but it's pretty sad.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

If in our species the sole purpose for being in a relationship and sex was to procreate we would have sex only when the female was in estrus like most mammals.

But we humans can and do have sex all the time and we have the largest range of sexual expression of almost all other mammals...the only other animal similar is the Bonobo.

So no procreation is not the sole purpose for being in a relationship.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Everyone here is for tolerance, right?

I don't see a universal tolerance though. On one hand there are complaints of discrimination against gays, but then there are people griping about others beliefs.

Are not those beliefs and culture due the same tolerance?

This is the problem here. Its sort of a paradox. People proclaim universal tolerance but it isn't really universal. Actual universal tolerance would include tolerating those who wish to be separate, different, and follow their own ways.

Well that presents another issue. That presents the rise of enclaves or communities where there isn't tolerance.

So we have a conflict of ideas and in this kind of conflict there isn't an easy solution.

Ultimately it will not matter. "Universal" tolerance in the West will exist for a little while as Protestants in the states weaken. Intellectuals and progressives don't maintain a healthy birthrate though. They will weaken.

In their place Muslims will most likely rise, based on the growth of Islam and the massive birth rate of the Muslim world. So in the end it really doesn't matter. We probably will be following Sharia law in one hundred years or so.

Like Athens before, Western tolerance of the 20th and 21st centuries will simply be a hiccup in human history.

[edit on 8/3/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There is a growing up swelling of opposition to this here in Virginia...especially in the college towns but its there and I would say within the next few weeks he will have to back down.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
An update on this:

Governor McDonnel has overridden the Attorney General on this.

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell has directed state agencies not to discriminate against gay people, essentially overriding the state attorney general's advice to colleges.

McDonnell's directive Wednesday came amid a public uproar over Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli's letter last week telling public colleges they lack the authority to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. Cuccinelli told colleges to rescind or change any anti-discrimination policies that include protection for gay people.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join