It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House votes to renew Patriot Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

House votes to renew Patriot Act

www.politico.com

After a wave of news about attempted domestic terror attacks, Democrats facing a tough election year quietly voted this week to extend the Patriot Act legislation that many of them had decried under former President George W. Bush.

The House passed a one-year reauthorization of the Patriot Act Thursday night 315-97, just a day after the Senate moved the bill on a late-evening unanimous voice vote.

Read more: www.politico.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Lieberman said FBI Director Robert Mueller and Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano emphasized to his committee the importance of extending the three renewed provisions: authorizing court-approved roving wiretaps that cover multiple phones or computers a suspect may use, court-approved search and seizures, and allowing surveillance of “lone wolf” non-U.S. citizens not affiliated with organized terrorist groups.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Janet from another planet just wants to make us feel secure

from those pesky terrorists. I applaud her in her efforts. Where would we be without such Patriots?????

I shudder to think.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
$#@* $^%&@&$&

thats all I gotta say about that.

oh, and $#%@&^%# on a $#@! with a $#@% and some butter!!!

%$#&

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Unbelievable!
Want to know what's worse?

I went to look up the voting record on this matter.
Couldn't find it.

It seems both the House and Senate passed this on a "voice vote".
Not entirely sure what that meant, I looked it up.

Voice vote:
When utilizing the voice vote procedure—
no names or numbers on who voted for what are recorded due to its impracticality, and the record will often stand as something to the effect of "unanimously approved by Voice Vote."

This tactic is used when the matter in question is either uncontroversial or paradoxically when the matter at hand is quite controversial and participants wish to enjoy "political cover."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No names or numbers recorded.
Anonymous voting.
Read that second part again.

when the matter at hand is quite controversial and participants wish to enjoy "political cover."

Voting without having to face the consequences.
Amazing.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyAl

This planet has turned to #. ETs please turn your earthquake devices on high.

Not kidding.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well I saw this coming. What I would like to see now are the progressives that bashed Bush all those years come in here and explain to me the secrecy and how it's now ok since the Lib's are doing it. Gotta love the two party system. Two groups....one agenda.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I totally agree with you and the butter idea!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Lieberman, the man without a party, in charge of the most powerful committee in American. It pays to have friends like AIPAC, literally.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Geez these politicians are bad for my blood pressure!

But really.. I find it amusing that the bills like this, AND the Military Commissions Act of 2006 both were passed so quickly and quietly. Guess having Fox news say, "Congress passed a bill that continues to remove your freedoms today" is not so good. But hey, in the words of Nancy Pelosi, we need you to commit political suicide for us. Kthx.

I say we get the ropes ready.

Saturn, couldn't agree more. Well said.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Grrrrr.... All i have to say is Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and grit my teeth while my freedom and money is slowly being stripped away from me

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
you have to understand one thing ... they will never vote against patriot act just because its all in place and now cyber security act is in works ... get a clue

they wana know how much toilet paper you use so you cant make fire with it....

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Why don't they just put us all in shock collars and gps and be done with it.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Crito

Is he any relation of Avigdor Lieberman - the Deputy Prime Minister of Israel? Wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Gotta love the two party system. Two groups....one agenda.

Yes, I was looking for Dees cartoon of the eagle with the blue and the red wing, but I couldn't find it anymore.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I honestly figured this thread would go for days on end. After the thread about the SCOTUS ruling done by republicans I figured it was about time for equal opportunity bashing. Oh well, Saturnfx wins the award for best post in this thread. Amazing as I hardly ever agree with him.
jk

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
This was tacked on as H.R. 3961.

It appears that it's just three provisions of the Patriot Act, not the whole thing. They don't seem too terrible coming from a security standpoint. Court-pproved wiretaps, court-approved search and seizure and surveillance of NON-US citizens.

The voting record is out there, 87 democrats and 15 republicans voted against it.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

I'd better tell my parents to get out then, with my mother being Irish and my father being French. At least they both have green cards. Non-US citizens also have the right to privacy. They contribute to the US economy and pay the taxes. Why should they be treated like potential criminals?

Well, at least they say it needs to be court approved, but since when is the court not influenced by the higher authorities? And since when are they rational?

[edit on 10-3-2010 by MightyAl]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyAl

What makes you think your parents are in danger of being wiretapped? Have they been cavorting around with terrorists lately? If the answer is no, I wouldn't feel too much concern.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

No, they don't hang out with that sort of crowd. They're not their cup of tea. But if the government gets their names mixed up with a terrorist with a similiar name, then that may turn into a kerfuffle.

Although I don't think a false flag attack blamed on a fictional terrorist whose last name is Raymond would be a quite so effective...
After all, everybody loves...I never even watched that show...

[edit on 10-3-2010 by MightyAl]

join