It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Injured Alien - A Hypothetical

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984 One arm reaches out in a gesture we all understand, help me.

that may be a jesture WE understand - but its an astronomic [ pun ] leap to assume that this hypothetical alien has the same views

for example - it might be attempting to get its retractable exanguination claw just a little closer then it can suck you dry and heal itself

then where would you be ?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
that may be a jesture WE understand - but its an astronomic [ pun ] leap to assume that this hypothetical alien has the same views

for example - it might be attempting to get its retractable exanguination claw just a little closer then it can suck you dry and heal itself

then where would you be ?

Lol it's a hypothetical scenario so lets assume it used the gesture in the same way as we do. Seriously why pick a hole in that when we're talking about a completely made up scenario, the point of which is to consider how people would hope they would react.

Take the scenario as it's written and intended

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

humanity does not even share the meaning of certain jestures - take the ` ok ` hand symbol - for instance

in venezuela , amongst spannish speaking venezualans - its recognised as "ok " - good / cool / no problem

but cross the border into brazil and run into a protugese speeking brazillian with a bad atitude - and they will take it as a mortal insult

all good travel guides warn of this crucial variance in the gesture

thats 2 neighboring countries here on earth

thats what i sam attempting to point out - the hazards of expecting others to share your interpretation

if 2 countries that share a border cannot agree on a jesture - why would 2 cultures from different galaxies ?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It's a hypothetical scenario to judge how people would react. Therefore you should take it as the writer intends it and i made it very clear it was a "help me" gesture. Now we can argue about whether it would be a help me gesture all day long but for the purpose of this hypothetical scenario take it as that and then respond.

Ok?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I would fear contamination.

I would fear that, if I alerted others, there would be widespread panic and the alien would probably end up dead.

I would probably run like hell.

Honest answer.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

The thing is obviously hurt, walking towards you, staggering. One arm reaches out in a gesture we all understand, help me. It falls forward and stops moving. The night was a quiet one, but now the silence is deafening.

So ATS, what do you do? Would you look after it as best you could? Would you take photos and video? Would you call the police or keep it secret? Would you look after it but not take any photos or pictures?

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten a better response - this is very nicely done.

I love the question within the story. :-)

What would I do? Honestly?

Knowing me...

First - I would do everything just exactly as you wrote it. After that first realization of what I was really looking at - I would feel an incredible rush. Adrenaline - fear and surprise.

After that, knowing me - everything would get very quiet in my head. That's what adrenaline does for me.

So, then I would be able to think.

The surprised feeling wouldn’t last for very long – I get over surprise pretty fast. And part of me, somehow – would have been expecting something like this all along anyway – that’s what imaginations are for I suppose. Preparedness.

I’m pretty sure I’d hear myself saying – out loud: “well – this just figures.”

I would go inside, get a blanket – wrap it up and take it in.

I hate using the word it – but – not sure what else to say right now.

I would hope very much that it wasn’t delirious. I’d like to be able to communicate on some level – and would hope and pray that it would understand what I was trying to communicate at least as well as I occasionally understand my cats.

In any case – you might not believe that this is what I would do. It seems too calm considering.

And not smart.

So, yes, I’m sure I might be vulnerable to contamination or hostility. But the truth is – there’s always a real good chance I might lose my life someday trying to help a fellow human. These things happen.

I might lose my life – in any number of ways trying to save anything. A sparrow for instance.

Aliens aren’t going to change that about me. I’m often dumb first – smart later.

I suck at CPR, so in reality, a human doesn’t stand a real good chance of surviving me – let alone an alien. All is lost probably, depending on how bad off he/she really is.

Unless they can somehow tell me what to do.

If they couldn’t help me understand what needs to be done - that’s when I would start freaking out. I would, honestly, sit there wondering who I could call. Who could I call?

That would be the real problem. I know how we are. I know what would happen.

I don’t know any doctors in real life – but that’s who I would call if I did.

A vet. I’d call my veterinarian. Silly – I suppose – but I would call my vet. I would tell them I have a critter here in desperate trouble – please come fast.

I’d let them decide what to do once they got there and saw for themselves. Pretty sure they’d do the right thing. They’d at least help me figure out what to do next.

My vet is both a rational and extremely compassionate man. He’d be the very best choice actually.

At some point I would be taking pictures.

Incredibly callous under the circumstances – I know.

I would definitely be taking some pictures if there were working batteries in my camera.

Which – getting back to knowing me – there wouldn’t be.

:-)

(and look - a genuine stab at the whole punctuation thing)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The Greys are people too right
I would call an ambulance and try to stop the bleeding the best way I could. It would be nice to have The Greys on my side

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Why would you want to even help a wounded alien? Heck, it would just be easier to smash on the skull and finish the filthy thing off

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptilian_Queen

Good call on possible contamination. I recall reading about the South American farmer too. Didn't think of that but if this were ever to happen, I hope to remember your wise words.

What I think I'll do is only what I hope I'd do with reality thrown in.

I'd probably get into the house, lock the door, and peer out for at it for a bit. If it didn't get up and laser a hole through my door, and no one came to retrieve it, I'd bring it inside (with protection, now that I know better).

If it's not communicating with me what to do, I'd try to heal the wound, pressure to stop bleeding... actually, I'd probably google how to treat the type of wound it is and follow through as much as I can. If it were at the point of collapsing, I'm sure the wound is probably much worse than I can handle.

Then I'd probably lay out a cup of water and everything I have in the fridge for it to choose.

If no other alien has come looking for it and it can't communicate at all no matter what, I'd probably call the police. I'm sorry, I have no clue who else I could possibly call without compromising the safety of friends and families.

While waiting, if I have any extra time and not completely freaked out, I'll take pics/videos, but it's not my top priority at that time. It'll get confiscated anyway by the government if they find it, or the camera will get damaged by aliens if THEY find it, and well ... I paid a lot for my camera.

After all is done, I'll pray that I and my family will be safe, unprobed for the rest of our lives, and uncontaminated.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I would probably run like hell.

maybe

but I'll bet you wouldn't get too far before you stopped and went back

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The tresspassing thing would have gotten him shot. Irrational fear of a zombie epidemic. So I bring him/her/it into my workshop and bind him. I don't know if he's dangerous or not. Quickly triage him and treat him as best I can while hording away skin, blood, tissue samples. Photos video etc... I have a couple people I'd call have them come over while I try to get a grasp on where he crashed. He's obviously not alone, interstellar travel solo? Nah. I'm sending my wife and kids to the in laws and he's locked up with my one of my EMT pals monitoring. I'm off to locate the wreckage. When my wife and kids leave they are taking all of my preliminary evidence with them.

If I can locate the craft I'm hitching it to the good ole John Deer 4040 and deagging that sob to the aircraft hangar on our farm. Buddies on the the little tractor running a rake to cover the skids. Then we're busting out the metal detectors and cleaning up any loose scrap. I'm then gonna dump so much quickcrete on the crash site it's gonna be ridiculous.

I'm probably going to hold him hostage and rape whatever technology I can from his craft. Hopefully he's friendly and it doesn't come to the hostage situation. If I can't heal him I'm dissecting him. The chinese will pay handsomely for dried alien penis, it's a huge aphrodesiac over there.

I'd then post on ATS that aliens crashed on my farm and beg for advice. Everyone who flamed would catch the little grey syphillis ray from the remenants of his ship.

But seriously up until the concrete is accurate. But communication is the key. Agression on his part is a key component as well. But I'd certainly assume there were more and a crashed craft. Moving him and my data to a secondary location would be a priority. Once he's at the point of stability I'd try to arrange a very private media audience. But my selfishness 1st then humanity, lol. I trust that I'm evolved enough to effectively deal with the situation but the governments intent and immediate disclosure aren't likely. I'd certainly have to have extracted enough information to suit me before public disclosure followed by govt contact.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by DrJay1975]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

but I'll bet you wouldn't get too far before you stopped and went back

Actually I'd probably get as far as the garage before having second thoughts.

A lot would depend, though, on what it looked like.

The scrawny little Grey of popular mythology wouldn't bother me much.

If it looked like a mammal of any kind and had fur (the Wookie look, more or less) I'd probably be drawn to it, though fearful of attack, and probably do the same as you in the end. My vet is an ethnic Chinese, so he knows a bit about aliens...

Same goes for anything with scales, y'know?

But if it looked like a crown-of-thorns starfish, or a queen termite, or a blobfish, I might be a little less sympathetic.

Xenotypophobia.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I find it amusing and troubling that we humans have the nerve to call other races we know nothing about evil or bad ... we should take a long hard look at our own species first.

I have masks and gloves on hand at all times because I live in the bush and sometimes need to help injured wildlife, some carry diseases that can kill you or make you very sick. So once I had protected myself as best I could I would get a blanket and cover it except the head. I would only asume it may experience shock and often with wildlife the key to them surviving is keeping them warm. I would apply a dressing to the wound and apply pressure. I would not move it at this stage unless it was very cold or raining. of course I have no idea of it's physical make up so I could only go by what I know and hope it is similar enough.

Then I would call some friends, people who work with injured animals and reptiles who would be least likely to freak out. We are rural so we would take it to someones farm shed or barn, set up a heater or lamp for warmth and make it as comefortable as possible. We would not bring it into the house again, risk of organisms. What we would do next would depend on wether or not it is concious. if it is concious I would attempt to communicate. It may be too weak or confused to be telepathic. I would try drawing some pictures and showing it and see if that was helpfull. Images tend to be pretty well understood it's the best thing I could think of. Maybe I would bring some objects, statues etc. just anything visual that may help us comunicate.

We would have to know what it needs, number one priority would be to alert his people and get him back to them so they can help him. I would asume he would have a crashed craft somewhere and at least one more of them out there. A search party would go out. By now I have also called some friends involved in paranormal research and possibly a vet. A vet because they see more kinds of critters than a doctor. I would not want to alert anyone who might expolit or hurt him. It is not the way I or my friends would do things where we from. Unless we felt he posed a health or safety risk.
getting comunication happening could help with this.

Another thing that would be usefull would be a Giger counter he could be contaminated with radiation another reason not to bring him into a house. Any kids would be sent away.

from this point I don't know what I would do next it would depend on many other factors. I would do my best to treat it with respect and not exploit it, try to comunicate and express that I mean it no harm and want to help him. Show it kindness, compassion as I would any other creature I find in such a state. If he survived and made it home, he may spread the message that he was treated with kindness and we helped him. Who knows but I would rather give that impression than one or fear or hostility.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i just wanted to say i realy enjoy these threads.

i would help it with every resource i could muster.

i would also be looking for this toys/ship

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by firebird894

I find it amusing and troubling that we humans have the nerve to call other races we know nothing about evil or bad.

I find it troubling but also quite understandable, though not very intelligent.

As for the procedure you outline, I applaud your intentions, but when dealing with an alien lifeform, you can't afford to extrapolate very far from what you know about terrestrial ones. So...

Snce I had protected myself as best I could I would get a blanket and cover it except the head.

How would you identify the head? Because there seems to be an obvious one? What if there isn't? What if there is, but it isn't really a head? What if it is a head, but the creature breathes through gills in its neck or vents in its upper thighs?

I would only asume it may experience shock and often with wildlife the key to them surviving is keeping them warm.

What if its operating temperature is far higher or lower than an Earth mammals? What if the alien actually has a different kind of trauma defence, going into suspended animation, perhaps, and you prevent this from kicking in by warming the body? What if the being actually needs a temperature differential between its extremities, just as male mammals need a temperature difference between their testes and the rest of their bodies to produce viable sperm?

I would apply a dressing to the wound and apply pressure.

What if it didn't have a heart, or a circulatory system, or one that operated in a completely different way, say by osmosis or diffusion?
I'm not mocking or belittling you. You're working with the best knowledge you have, trying to do the best you can, and you even acknowledge in your post that you could well be wrong in all your assumptions.

Frankly, there is no good answer to the OP question. But your suggestion of trying to communicate with it is probably the best. I mean, if it and its fellows have been hanging about Earth for a while, they probably have a better idea of how to talk to us than we have about how to talk to them.

By the way, has anybody thought about what would happen to their lives, their homes, their jobs, their families etc. after the alien was brought to the attention of the authorities?

If I were trying to help an injured alien, I'd do it very, very quietly, all by myself, and when it had recovered I'd smuggle it out of the house and back to its pals or its ship or its teleportation platform or whatever the heck it came from, and for the rest of my life I'd keep very, very quiet about it--even if it tipped me off that the Big Invasion was about to happen. And if it died in spite of my best efforts, I'd sneak it out the back door, drive as far as I could get from my home, find the remotest, least populated spot I could, did a nice deep hole and bury it. And, once again, never, ever tell a soul.

Yes, on reflection, that's what I'd do if I ever encountered an injured alien: keep my trap well shut about it.

I might leave directions to the grave in a safety-deposit box somewhere, to be opened after I was safely dead myself.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I would do this :

, pee a little, and then...

I'd walk over to the alien and reach down to poke it, quickly jumping back after the poking. After realizing (hopefully) that it's skin doesn't hurt me and I can't hurt it, I'd probably wrap it up in a blanket or something and take it inside. I'd wrap some cloth around it's wounds tightly to (again, hopefully) stop the bleeding. I'd then get out my camera and take some pictures, obviously. After several minutes the alien would come to. He would sit up and ask me to drive him to Winslow, AZ because he has three days to get to a crater or else he will die. I think that I am being kidnapped, but as the alien begins to use my lagnguage I understand and help him on his journey. So I will slowly learn to care for this alien and realize how charming he is. But then the government will have different plans! They'll chase him down till the crater and I'll end up saving the day! And falling in love with an alien because he looks and acts kind of like my dead husband.

Wait.....

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

They'll chase him down till the crater and I'll end up saving the day! And falling in love with an alien because he looks and acts kind of like my dead husband.

Wait.....

this was beautiful

you made me laugh, you made me cry

no - wait...

you made me laugh

perfect

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well if I was wrong I was wrong, but I can only act on infomation I have and what I know from earth creatures, if it couldn't respond I would have nothing else to go by. i am asuming this is a typical grey... or humanoid. Just to be simple.

If it is bleeding I could only asume it has some kind of cardiovascular system to move blood around it's body or else it probably wouldn't bleed.

If it died as a result of me making a mistake at least that is better than been tortured and used as a lab rat by the government. I would try and find the crash site if possible and bury him near it with a marker... possibly a picture or a peice of the ship. But it would probably already be under control of the military so I wouldnt get near it. It could also be radio active.
I don't know, I would do what I felt was the best thing at the time if it happened which it is doubtfull it ever would. I hope.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Though I'd be scared *snip*less, I'd catch myself after a moment.
First I'd assess the situation, and based on that I'd know how to handle this thing.
Then I'd put on some rubber dish washing gloves, or go to MOPP4 or whatever, and carry it inside.
Treat the bleeding with a compression bandage or whatever I deem necessary.
Once it is stable, I'd take some pics, but I would not share them until I know that the little feller is safe.
I would clean up any mess it made (might as well take samples from there) and hide it if required. I would definitely not tell my neighbors, as they are more likely to poke it with a stick than help out. If needed, I'd call a trustworthy Dr. friend for ideas/assistance.

The way I see it is that the little feller came to me to help it. It must have known what it is getting into. Unlikely that it wanted me to perform cranial surgery, ya know?

Treat others as you would like to be treated. The folks who wrote the Koran sure got that part right!

[edit on 2010.3.10 by Carlthulhu]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join