It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright multi colored star twinkling.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hey ATS, I'm in southern Ontario Canada, and to my South/ South west there is a very bright twinkling "star". I say a star, because i have seen a star twinkle similar to this, but not nearly as bright. Anybody know what it is? I think it may just be a star, but man its really beautiful.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. If it is, please move mods, thanks

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've been seeing this for a few years now, I figure it's over Lake Ontario but I suppose that depends on its actual size...

Getting a picture for myself has proved impossible. I could try again this weekend if it's clear enough. I'll look into it. Seeing it through binoculars is pretty neat though!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Serious...it's probably SIRIUS...the dog star. It caught my attention last year this time, and I agree, very awesome to look at. Try using Stellarium for a great learning tool about the night sky...Google it.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out
Serious...it's probably SIRIUS...the dog star. It caught my attention last year this time, and I agree, very awesome to look at. Try using Stellarium for a great learning tool about the night sky...Google it.

Thanks, I'd like to add that I see it in the same spot all the time, North East.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by MetalCoffeeL]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I seen it too, even attempted to video it. Bit shaky.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Awesome! I got really excited when I read this thread. I'd like to finally know what it is. There have a been a few good things happening since the air has been clearer.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by MetalCoffeeL]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I am in Ohio. I see a bright star that is twinkling too. I just noticed it tonight going to my sisters. Blinking red blue and white. Could just be the atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Could it be Saturn?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e72f720e7f0a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MetalCoffeeL

If it's in the east to northeast you are probably seeing Arcturus.

Look at the Big Dipper. Its handle is bent. Imagine extending a curve from the handle; a curve that is readily translated into a smooth arc. Continue that imaginary arc about the length of the Big Dipper and you will ultimately come to Arcturus.

www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
In South Carolina I noticed a star that was blinking like crazy, it was a little orange-ish in color. It was in the south, when i showed it to my brother he passed it off as a planet. After staring at it for awhile it looked like flashes were coming from around the planet.

Last night i saw a planet that looked the same in the same general direction, and my friend confirmed that it was red-orange and blinking. love to find out what it is. any ideas to why it is a different color then normal stars, cant be a planet or it would not still be there.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

Looking south, that would be Sirius. The brightest star in the sky. It can be very colorful in the right atmospheric conditions.

[edit on 3/5/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

I don't pretend to know what that is in the video. However, I can say safely that it isn't a star......

Firstly, a star doesn't change all different colors. It could be a satellite or something. Star? I vote no.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I'm an avid amateur astronomer and bright stars (especially Sirius) often flash different colors, particularly when close to the horizon.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Sirius is far below the Southern horizon for people in Canada right now.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I've seen it too. Its a star. been there along time too.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Planets (especially large ones like Saturn) do not usually twinkle unless viewing conditions are particularly poor because they are resolved as a disk by the naked eye but I mention it because it is the brightest object in the South West for Canadians at this hour.

Virgo and Leo are two other bright stars in that area as well.

Edit to add more info

[edit on 5-3-2010 by dainoyfb]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Pajjikor is not in Canada right now.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

It is a star and that star is Sirius.
Stars twinkle, the technical word is scintillation.

The star is a brilliant white with a definite tinge of blue in color, yet in its rapid scintillation it often seems to flicker with all the colors of the rainbow.

www.souledout.org...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, take a look at the first line of the OP.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Yes, I think the OP is seeing Arcturus. I think Pajjikor, who is in South Carolina, is seeing Sirius.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join