It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap Hall of Fame

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Actually the Black Eyed Peas have been around a while, they were a struggling group in LA when I lived there, just not famous until recently.

Thier lyrics and message are pretty deep, they are and will continue to be highly regarded in the industry.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia
Actually the Black Eyed Peas have been around a while, they were a struggling group in LA when I lived there, just not famous until recently.

Thier lyrics and message are pretty deep, they are and will continue to be highly regarded in the industry.

I agree. They do have talent but if I were going to go with a struggling Cali underground indie act I would have gone with the Hieroglyphics but opinions are what make life fun.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I have no idea what you are talking about saphronia. How are the beastie boys rock now?

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by thebeagle]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebeagle
I have no idea what you are talking about saphronia. How are the beastie boys rock now?

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by thebeagle]

Beastie boys are old skool hip hop

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
some modern day rappers i enjoy that bring something to the table are the cats from definitive jux and anticon. that company flow ish. living legends. stones throw. i'm not too steeped in indie hip hop, but i know some things.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloud
some modern day rappers i enjoy that bring something to the table are the cats from definitive jux and anticon. that company flow ish. living legends. stones throw. i'm not too steeped in indie hip hop, but i know some things.

Def Jux and the rest of the coffee house rap movement bring quite a bit of talent but they're a fad that's ready fading back into the underground scene. Once the corporate music industry realized they weren't seeing anymore Talib Kweli's, Mos Def's and Pharoah Monche's they turned a blind eye to the emerging scene. It's slowly fading into the background. Rawkus is a great example. I like Company Flow and Jedi Mind and a bunch of other "purists" but honestly their entertainment value has diminished. None of them can really claim to being anything major to Hip Hop aside from Mos Def & Talib Kweli.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
either way, i still enjoy that subgenre of hip hop.

one of the funniest songs i've ever heard is aesop rock's "we're famous" where el-p lets off some steam.

i can't agree with you on calling co flow or el-p's solo material coffee house rap...have you heard the title track off of el-p's "fantastic damage?" it blew me away when i first heard it...i thought my ears were going to blow, but it grew on me.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Nah nah nah....

Old Skool, back to 1970!

THE SUGARHILL GANG!

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Though I admit some of Sugarhill's music was fun...they were essentially "the backstreet boys" for the late 70's Hip Hop scene. They were formed to cash in on raps "novelty". Their song "Rappers Delight" was recorded and released in 1979. Not 1970.

If you want to go back to early early Hip Hop you might want to seek out some Watts Prophets recorded material from around 69/70.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
1.) 50 Cent

2.) Dr. Dre

3.) Master P

4.) EminEm

5.) Jay Z (best lyrics out of all rappers IMO)

6.) Beastie Boys

Thats the best ones, I can't think of 15.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hmmm...Master P...never really considered him Hall of Fame worthy but anybody who can become a multi-millionaire and then claim bankruptcy in the span of 10 years definitely deserves some type of recognition.

Man I remember the No Limit days! LOL...being the only whiteboy in a party, smoking black and milds playing spades listening to the new Mys or Fiend...god good times lol...it seemed like a new No Limit CD dropped every month or so.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
1 cypress hill
2 cypress hill
3 cypress hill they use real mutha fullll n instruments in their shows

4 Ghetto Boys
5 Three Six Mafia
6 Snoop Dogg

if you don't know the who the ghetto boys are you don't know crap about rap and need to go bag rap kinny garten, and then gangsta rap 101

p diddy purssy is a real peice of dog crap, he may be a very successful businessmand and entrpenuer but his music sucks and stinks like dog shight, so does that dumn N--- fifty pennies, same with biggy smalls and all the other dumb arss rappers filling the charts for the last two years atleast.

peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join