It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agnosticism: The most logical choice

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

And disbelief is reasonable although not logical.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Originally posted by rusty_shackleford89

Originally posted by hippomchippo

I am currently a college student and I've had the pleasure of sitting back and watching newly liberated "adults" choose their religious beliefs off of a platter according to the most aesthetically pleasing to their lifestyle. I've seen that the majority of the group that picks Atheism seem to be extremely analytical and critical of any kind of belief other than their own. After having many talks with these individuals, it seems they begin to take their logic to the next level and nearly declare it a belief without knowing it. There is no evidence for their logic, and they know this, but they believe it. Atheism becomes a religion through it's faith. Agnosticism is therefore more logical a choice.

Atheism is simply a rejection of a belief.
It is not ''There is no god''
It is ''I do not believe in a god''

You are right. But, by saying "I believe there is no god", one is choosing to believe in something that is not backed by any proof. Believing in something that isn't a fact or concrete rule is an issue of faith. Atheists have more of a "faith" than Agnostics do. If "faith" is illogical, than Atheists are more illogical than Agnostics.

No.
It's saying I don't believe in a god
Please don't twist my words.

I apologize for twisting your words. It was unintentional. However, choosing to "not believe in a god" is acting on faith. This is my point.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Active disbelief is still belief. saying "i reject belief" is the same as saying "i do not believe."

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

He has proved his statements. You have been ignoring them and just responding by essentially saying " I'M SMART! I WENT TO COLLEGE I KNOW THINGS!" and started using snide remarks and ad-hominem. Then when he got you back you began to attack the source of the paper.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

Do you need to talk for Watcher? Is he calling his friends in now?

He has proved nothing...he posted definitions and acted like that proved something. Further, he has made accusations against me without sourcing them...I simply asked for him to show me where I committed those fallacies...and he has dodged claiming he doesn't want to waste his time. That sounds like a cop out to me.

Care to quote me where I said "" I'M SMART! I WENT TO COLLEGE I KNOW THINGS!"??? Or are you going to be guilty of the same illogical argument as Watcher?

Attack the source of the paper??? Where do you get that from? Did you read my initial reply about this article? I have taken exception to ONE statment in this article...and I pointed it out. Your friend Watcher seems to not be able to handle that.

And just to clarify...this is the statement I took exception with.

3. “Since there is no proof that Mr. Jones has committed acts of espionage, therefore he is not a spy.”
4. “Since my experience of the external world has never been proven false, therefore it is true.”

Both 3 and 4 are reasonable inferences

I claimed this is not a logical statement...it isn't even a reasonable statement...it is a completely false statement. Watcher's "defense of this statement was to post the definition of "reasonable" and "inference". That is not a defense...that is a lack of knowledge to be able to LOGICALLY prove why he thinks these statements are logical.

So tell me...do you also think the above statement is a "reasonable inference"??? If you want to run to the rescue of your "sharp friend"...then you can help him defend this faulty logic.

You can also go back and quote me saying the things you are accusing me of saying. It's all in this thread...anyone can go look...I have nothing to hide. And yet...Watcher will just not go and quote me on his accusations he is making.

How many more of your friends are you going to call in to help bash me with no references or quotes Watcher??? This is turning into a sad showing of cowards who don't like to back up what they are accusing someone of.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

choosing to "not believe in a god" is acting on faith. This is my point.

...unless you define "faith" and "god" within your point, you don't have a point thats precisely comprehendable...

...even if you choose to include your definitions, your point is not applicable to anyone but yourself...

...my point?... debating this topic should never be for any other purpose than just having fun...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
No, watcher can speak for himself quite fine. However i have been monitoring this thread and quite frankly i have found your behavior rather annoying. You are splitting hairs. The author made it clear that the two statements you took issue with were fallacious because they relied on the ad-ingorantium fallacy. He never stated they were true or logical just that they were reasonable inferences. In a court of law a man can not be convicted for espionage if there is no hard evidence that he committed espionage.

I'll leave you kids to fight among yourselves.

Patronizing ad hominem.

I'm pretty sure I know your answer...you like many others I have encountered that like to spout off on their knowledge of logic are nothing more than masters of fallacies. You study the common logic fallacies and attempt to point them out in others arguments. You have no real understanding of actual logic...but by being a master of fallacies...you like to pretend you are using logic by throwing out names of fallacies left and right.

More blatant Ad-hominem.

Also you keep asking him if he is educated in logic, and i am sensing an implication that you yourself are educated in logic hence the "i am so smart" remark.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Right. Let's recap shall we? The example you took exception to *and have altered to fit your purposes.

3. “Since there is no proof that Mr. Jones has committed acts of espionage, therefore he is not a spy.”
4. “Since my experience of the external world has never been proven false, therefore it is true.”

Both 3 and 4 are reasonable inferences yet they have the same form as those that commit the ad ignorantiam fallacy. This tells us that appealing to ignorance and lack of evidence is not always fallacious. Context and subject matter make all the difference. So when is it reasonable to appeal to ignorance and when is it not? It is not always easy to determine who should shoulder the burden of proof, but it seems to me there are at least four criteria:
Etc etc etc etc.

Where I can only imagine you stopped reading feeling you found your leverage point to emotionally decide you falasified the document. Seeming to me at the time hinging on the words "reasonable inference", which I defined for you. And I will define the word infer for you again as inference means the act of infering in a nutshell:

Main Entry: in·fer
Pronunciation: \in-ˈfər\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): in·ferred; in·fer·ring
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French inferer, from Latin inferre, literally, to carry or bring into, from in- + ferre to carry — more at bear
Date: 1528
transitive verb
1 : to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises — compare imply
2 : guess, surmise
3 a : to involve as a normal outcome of thought b : to point out : indicate
4 : suggest, hint

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Yikes. Calm down. There are far more important things to talk about. What, I can't remember. Your arguing distracted my.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Also just because he's on my friends list doesn't mean that I asked him here or asked him to act. Or even he is acting out of any sense of obligation. Or perhaps I should accuse the same of you and wyn? Though I won't I assure you as I don't think that is the case or care really.

...well, sugar butt, obviously you DO REALLY CARE or you wouldnt have bothered typin' that... i'm so flattered i could spit...

...btw, you know what we do down here with folks who say "i assure you"?... we make 'em prove their word means more than snot and thats snot as easy as it sounds cuz ya have to do it while dancin' the hoocheecoo on the back of bull thats got his bawls cinched up (makes 'em a bit testy)...

...sidebar:... cutest purse i ever saw in my whole life was made out of a bull's bawl and it was as soft as a baby's butt... i asked the maker if it was a left bawl or a right bawl but he didn't answer, just stared at me like i was a crazy woman... i heard him tawlkin later, he was a foreigner - from wisconsin or michigan or new yark - one them there places where men sound like they've got a nasal infection...

...anyways - lurker, uh, i meant, uh, watcher, by the time i got to the end of your VERY LONG post, i couldnt figure out what you were fussin' about... i was trying (and i mean i was REALLY trying) to follow your cute little copy&paste jobbers but memories of my youngest daughter pitchin' a fit kept poppin' into my noodle... she was about 13 at the time (she's into her 30s now), so everything was purty much a hormonal rant with her... her daddy wasnt much help, too busy laughing, everything she did was SO dang cute to him... boys are easier to raise, until they grow into stupid and wanna jump out of perfectly good airplanes cuz dad did it and survived (with brain damage)...

...so, anyhooters, its been nice tawlkin to ya, lurker, but i gotta say (even though i aint yo' mama) you're takin' all this WAY too seriously and life is too short to get all riled up about a silly thread on a message board... you should be out trippin' the light fantastic or wavin' your freak flag or something like that there...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
ATTENTION:

Can we please try and focus on the topic, and not on each other.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm not going to read all 9 pages of this thread but I'll just throw in my two cents, as I've done a lot of thinking and researching about this subject. As I see it, "agnostic" and "atheist" are not quite competing in the same category.

Agnosticism is a position on knowledge, while atheism is a position on belief.

Whether or not you choose to equate knowledge with belief, or where you draw the line between the two, is up to you. For example, you could be an agnostic atheist. This would mean that you:

1) Lack a belief in deities such as God (atheist), but

2) Do not deny the possibility that deities such as God might exist (agnostic).

By this same token you could also be an agnostic theist, who believes in God but also acknowledges that there is a possibility that God does not exist. Basically, you can have a belief without declaring that you "know" your belief is absolutely true.

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know."

- Robert G. Ingersoll, "Why I Am An Agnostic," 1896

Also, for those interested in agnosticism, I recommend looking into Ignosticism (spelled with an I). Essentially it is like agnosticism, only it adds that because there is no single, consistent definition of "God," the answer to the likelihood of "God's" existence depends entirely upon what your definition of "God" is. This definition can vary quite a bit from person to person, and in fact could hypothetically be just about anything, so it all depends to some degree on what definition you're referring to.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Magnus47]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Surprise...more definitions...lol...too funny.

Your definitions actually support my definition of logic...not your "reasonable guessing" theory.

Listen carefully...this is a false statement:

If there is no proof of A being true, then A is not true.
OR
If there is no proof of A being true, then A is false.

“Since there is no proof that Mr. Jones has committed acts of espionage, therefore he is not a spy.”

IF you can't see the fault in the above logic...then there is no helping you. You simply cannot see correct or incorrect logic.

There is no proof HE IS NOT A SPY...so saying HE IS NOT A SPY is illogical. Lack of evidence does not equate to evidence. It is REASONBLE to say that there is no reason to believe he is spy, it is REASONABLE to say that you don't THINK he is a spy. But it is plain ILLOGICAL to say HE IS NOT A SPY....this is a statement of fact...a fact which there is no evidence to support it.

But for some reason you can't admit that. If you believe in this faulty logic...then you should be an atheists...because this this is what they use. Absence of evidence = evidence of absence to atheists...and this is exactly what you are defending.

The example you took exception to *and have altered to fit your purposes.

What exactly is my purpose? Here is my original statement about my objection to the statements:

I do not agree that 3 and 4 are reasonable inferences. A reasonable inference for 3 would be that there is no reason to believe that Mr. Jones is not a spy...but not to flat out say "he is not a spy". Logic is about absolutes...so when you make a statement of "therefore he is not a spy", that is supposed to mean that 100% truth that he is not a spy.

I don't think that discredits any of his other arguments directly...but it just makes me question his grasp on logic.

On to my ad homs and "taunts". If you take a question as a personal attack...then that says something about YOU personally...not an attack from me. It is a simple question...there is no shame if you haven't been educated in logic...it just is what it is.

My other "ad homs" I'll stand by...because they are directed at you dodging my questions....not about the correctness or incorrectness of the logic of the statements (which is the only "goal" I have).

I do THINK a master of fallacies...you have never demonstrated "logic"...only knowledge of multiple fallacies. I have look in some of your previous posts...this is a common practice for you. You often attack accusing of fallacies, but fail to put your input as to what the correct logic actually is.

I do THINK I know your answer to my question...your lack of response is answer enough.

I do THINK you are confused as to what formal logic is, and that impairs your judgment.

I do THINK you paste a bunch of definitions as a distraction tool...looks like you are saying something while you actually are not saying anything useful. Use your own words...not those of others. Think for yourself.

I do THINK you should take some classes on formal logic...it may open your eyes..and you can spend more time on LOGIC than FALLACIES.

Please note all the "THINK"'s in the above statements. Which means it is my OPINION...not statements of facts. An opinion is not an attack and neither is a question. It is up to you to change my OPINION of you...not the other way around.

And by "bare assertion" is that there should be no guessing in logic? LOL. I'll play like you...here is part of YOUR definition of logic

Logic is not the psychology of reasoning
One thing you should note about this definition is that logic is concerned with the principles of correct reasoning. Studying the correct principles of reasoning is not the same as studying the psychology of reasoning. Logic is the former discipline, and it tells us how we ought to reason if we want to reason correctly. Whether people actually follow these rules of correct reasoning is an empirical matter, something that is not the concern of logic.

This pretty plainly says logic is about the CORRECT PRINCIPLES OF REASONING.

And that is all I'm concerned about...the correct principles of reasoning. And the original articl in statements 3 and 4 are not following the correct principle of reasoning.

No matter how many definitions you copy/paste. The author of the articl has not used the correct principles of reasoning when he says that since there is NO PROOF that Mr. Jones is a spy, THEREFORE HE IS NOT A SPY.

There are times there is no proof someone is a murderer...and yet he is in fact a murderer.

There are times there is no proof someone is dead (missng person)...and yet he is dead.

There are times there is no proof that SOMEONE IS A SPY...and yet he is a spy.

His argument is faulty on this statement...for some reason you can't see it. And your defense is that ONE of the definitions in the dictionary of "inference" is to "guess" or to "hint". But this isn't the definition used in logic. What is the sense in logic if we are just guessing.

If the authors statement is true and not fallacious...then this statement is also true.

“Since there is no proof that Mr. Jones has committed acts of espionage, therefore he is a really good spy.”

Because you could GUESS that since there is no proof of him commiting acts of espionage...then that must mean he is a spy and so good at it that he leaves no evidence.

Neither of them have any proof to back up their conclusions...but they are saying the opposite things.

So let's start over from scratch.

We will go step by step.

Do you think this statement is logically correct as the author claims it is? He claims this is not a fallacious argument. Do you agree?

[edit on 9-3-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I am officially relabelling myself an agnostic Wiccan

I follow Isis because I have seen and felt and talked to her (at least I think I have)

I get so tired of Christians thining they have proof of God...actual concrete proof...where is it? A book? Prove to me that book wasn't totally farcical? Can I prove the Book of the Dead wasn't farcical? heck no...so for me to think you will automatically believe me and follow Her is silly.

On page one it was mentioned that there was three types of proof of God

Here is my rebuttal...

Scientific proof - Sorry but there hasn't ever been real concrete undeniable proof of God

Historical proof - Well your book isn't the only one that can have some verification of it so what makes yours better?

Immaterial proof - Yes you hace millions of people who believe so it 'must mean something'. Well there are millions of Muslims. Is Allah real? Is he the one true god? There are millions so it must mean something too

They way I see it there are two differences between me and other people who have seen or felt a deity

1. I cannot and probably will not ever be 100% sure what I felt from Her was real. It's unprovable. Christians have long told me my visions of Isis were delusions. How do you honestly know yours weren't? The difference is I cannot prove through my anectdotes that she is real and neither can you.

2. I don't feel the need to tell other people they are wrong...simple and to the point

So here is my new statement that I am sticking with

"Isis: I have seen her, felt her and heard her. At least I think I have, and that is enough for me"

Now go find your own truth...but never think you've got it figured out 100% because you probably don't

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnus47

The last nine pages aren't really worth reading so you commit no foul there.
Mostly a few diamonds amongst the rough thing. Thank you for contributing and I do think it was a good one.
But, I do disagree on one minor semantic detail. Lack of belief is different than active disbelief which is the distinguishing characteristic of atheism *a answer of no as to the answer of the underlying point of contention*.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Exactly.
I wonder if perhaps a persons belief in these entities makes them "real" in a very real sense except it's.... well... subjective... But I do admit I come to that conclusion with a unwillingness to self righteously and actively ignoring the possibility I could wrong and declare anyone "delusional" or whatever.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Good point. I should have said atheism does not imply a lack of belief, but rather implies a disbelief. An atheist believes deities do NOT exist... that is more accurate, you're right about that. Though technically the distinction that atheism is a position on belief (or disbelief), while agnosticism is a position on knowledge, remains.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Cheers to that.

Religion is an unprovable philosophy, whether or not we care to admit it. There's nothing wrong with creating our own philosophy about the universe's unknowns. But when we start accusing other people of not seeing our "truth," while at the same time we are unable to explain exactly why it is the "truth," that's when one of humanity's sad shortfallings comes to the fore.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnus47

True. But I also tend to believe that all "knowledge" is is reinforced belief. After all the "knowledge" of today is the laughing stock of tomorrow. Pretty sure that is a quote from someone more important than myself.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ummm, I prefer Gnosticism, to ignorance. If you desire non-knowledge to discernment then that would be a self inflicted form of denial that I couldn't participate in. I could also state that there is also no proof that a higher evolutionary "God like" bieng doesn't
exist. If one makes a claim for agnosticism one only admits to an incomplete examination of the given subject. Perhaps if one explored without prejudice and preconception, enlightenment might ensue.
I think you make the mistake of pursuit through learning. If you study enlightenment pursuits you will find that Gnosis is achieved only when one empties oneself of of the entirety of prior learning. Enlightenment can never be reasoned, you will not achieve understanding through education. Certainly understanding the process is a form of education, but only in the context of preperation. What I mean to say is that you must learn to become a true tabula rasa a blank slate. Set aside all that you think you know, set aside thinking and knowing, therein lies Gnosis, Therin lies enlightenment.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join