It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the TV news Loves Tsunamis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hello ATS I was reading my Twitter updates when I came across a tweet that linked this article:
drcarolyndean.com...

The reason I am starting this thread is because I wanted to know what ATS members think about the media and there love for natural disasters (I say ratings). I'm going to state this early, I do NOT think the media over hyped the threat of a tsunami after the Chili Quake. They did the right thing by warning people early and telling them to get to safer ground, However I do think they spent too much time after the warnings were taken down talking about the "What ifs" and IMO dragging the story out. I think they should have returned there primary focus to the real event, Chili and the 8.8 quake. I would love to here ATS opinions on this....differing opinions are always welcomed by me. I'm about to get off work and I will be back on-line in the morning.
Mods I'm not sure where to place this so if I've posted this incorrectly please move this thread to a more appropriate place. Thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
the value of any given news story is determined by a number of factors. Disaster, drama, famous people. They cover what will be popular, and people dying is never unpopular (unfortunately)

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
the value of any given news story is determined by a number of factors. Disaster, drama, famous people. They cover what will be popular, and people dying is never unpopular (unfortunately)

Exactly! And this scheme is working at every civilization as you can see at the following site. On this issue all people are equal.

www.opiar.com

[edit on 3-3-2010 by cosmorave]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmorave

Thank you for the site. I'm going to search around it right now!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
not really a "scheme". Its just a the result of streamlining news across the nation, because ownership in more concentrated. Cross-ownership allows companies to cut costs by streamlining news.

They barely need field reporters, actually.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Why do they love Tsunamis?

The same reason why they love "Celebrity Gossips". It sells.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Tsunamis get them viewers and ratings:

When there were warnings about a tsunami in Hawaii last weekend, I was glued to my TV. After about 2.5 hours of just watching the locals on higher ground, they never came. Usually I don't spend that much time watching the news.

top topics

join