It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Hurt Locker' Faces 'Rising Backlash From People In Uniform'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

'Hurt Locker' Faces 'Rising Backlash From People In Uniform'

bighollywood.breitbart

“The Hurt Locker” lost me when the David Morse character, a Colonel in the field, ordered his men to stop treating a wounded prisoner — ordered that the prisoner be left to bleed to death. This monstrous moment wasn’t even necessary to the plot. It’s just thrown in as an awkward, spellbreaking aside to smear our troops. Then there’s Jeremy Renner’s protagonist who’s so PTSD-riddled and addicted to the adrenaline of war he constantly puts his own men in danger until his ongoing Iraq experience finally strips him of so much of his humanity that he can no longer love his own son.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/2/2010 by yeahright]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I agree with the author of this article fully. that war can be immortilised in film. The way the film is made, can affect future generations opinions on the war. when innacurately made to make the soldiers look like looneys, I dont believe this is a good film.

I was never around to see the Normandy Landings but, "Saving private Ryan"(movie). has helped me to visualise what it could have been like. the raw disabling fear of the soldiers. landing directly into machine gun fire, and shells. is powerfull. and a shocking reminder of the horrors of war.

"The hurt locker". will in the future become one of those films.
sadly..

forgive me if this is in the wrong place. The website is called a blog. but came up as a news article, in google news search. it is written as a news article. i feel that is is acceptable as a breaking news article.

bighollywood.breitbart

[edit to fix link]
[edit on 3/2/2010 by yeahright]
Mod Edit: Link Magic.
[edit on 2/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 2-3-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I respectfully disagree. I think that Hurt Locker represented a real life depiction of the Iraq war. Gritty, unpredictable and brutal.

It is easy to find fault with any film / art. To the contrary, the main character also tried (unfortunately in vain) risking his life to save the guy who unwillingly had become a human suicide bomber because the insurgents had padlocked the bomb vest around him.

I hope the film wins an Oscar. Great film done documentary style without all the Rah Rah, Shoot 'em up Heroics.

More about the rush of war (for some) than the fog of war. (for many)

I give it two.

Regards...kk

[edit on 2-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
I agree with the author of this article fully. that war can be immortilised in film. The way the film is made, can affect future generations opinions on the war. when innacurately made to make the brittish soldiers look like looneys, I dont believe this is a good film.

Were those British soldiers? I got the impression, very distinct impression, that they were bounty hunters...they even discussed how much some of their prisoners were worth...dead or alive.

Although all troops do not have that sentiment of "stop treating the wounded, he can't be saved"...scenarios like that did occur and I think it fair to have that scenario portrayed in the film. If everything in war was done "by the books", then there wouldn't be much of a story to tell and all war movies would be a rehash of the previous.

What I found thought provoking was the opening quote "war is a drug". That got me to thinking...drugs are addictive....so, war is addictive...so, what happens when our troops come home and they start looking for their "war fix"...

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just to add. i implore you to read the original, article. my full words, and a couple of comments before you post in this thread.

Not directed at anyone who has posted above me. btw.

[edit: fix spelling, typing in dark]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I thought it was a good fictional movie, how war and adrenalin can become addictive like many other things in our society. The scene mentioned is just a glimpse at the horrors of what do occur, civilians are tortured and killed in US, UK custody this is fact, movies like this are generous in their opinion as real life is always 10 times more barbaric.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

No, I'm afraid the vast majority of them won't be looking for their "war-fix" because they'll be too busy remembering the sh** they had to go through and trying to get back into the routine of a normal life without worrying about IEDs, suicide bombers, or traitorous Iraqis who would double play us to get close and kill us when our guard is down.
The fact that the main character was so willing to put his team mates' lives in danger is something that I have never seen in any of my NCOs and hope I never have to see.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Great article, right up until the last section. Blaming 'Leftist Hollywood' for making all of America believe that every Viet Nam vet is homeless & crazy? Sure. There aren't really any movies I can think of that even address this topic. There are plenty of movies about the war itself, and by all accounts I have heard, the actual war was far worse than the films could show (not Leftist Hollywood accounts, but historical ones).

I think that mindset may have more to do with that fact that my generation's only exposure to Viet Nam vets may be the homeless, crazy ones that ask them for money downtown, since most people don't have the opportunity to see the well adjusted ones living normal lives. Or maybe they do, and don't realize they are vets, because they are living normal, well adjusted lives.

Why take an excellent critique of a film and turn it into a partisan hit piece?

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have no idea why this is such a big deal. Movies have been made for a LONG time portraying the military in good, bad, and ugly lights...along with cops and other professions.

If people truly sit back and BELIEVE what hollywood portrays as fact, then we have declined in a VERY big way socially. Sure there is some truth to movies, but there is a whole lotta fluff as well.

Are cops like the guys from THE DEPARTED? or THE SHIELD?
Are their soldiers who mirror the characters in THE HURT LOCKER?
Are there CIA agents like Jason Bourne from the BOURNE Trilogy?

Again, YES there is a touch of reality in movies and TV, but not sure how THIS movie is raising a stink when there are 50 others that could be called out too. Guess because its awards time people will just make it more news then its worth.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that this movie sucked big time but its brutal and to the point so more than likley it mirrors real life in many aspects.

I am sure some soilders have become so used to violence that its what they live for, some will also be adrenaline junkies but from friends I have in the army there is no way a guy like the lead character would be allowed again and again to endanger his squad mates and get away with it.

Think of the soap scene in full metal jacket that kind of stuff and worse really does happen in the armed forces.

In closing I hope this movie will never ever be compared to saving private ryan as it is so far from being its equal, comparing Hurt locker to the mastery of saving private ryan would a crime in its self.

Of course as always the above is my personal opinion.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Oh brother!!!!!!! Gimme a damn break......the US military always whines about the movies that come out of Hollywood. Give a rest! War is hell. The US military is out of control. Everyone knows that. If you think everything going on in Iraq and Afghanistan looks like a Army Of One t.v. commercial you're an idiot. PTSD is EPIDEMIC and soldier suicides are out of control. Yet these Hollywood movies aren't realistic? Or portray the poor soldiers in a harsh light? Eat some cheese with that whine will ya! The US military tries to glorify and dignify everything they do as if they are the epitome of honor, strength, and code. Hurt Locker was a great movie and it was actually based on a journalists screenplay that actually accompanied a bomb squad in iraq. So it's probably a lot more realistic than most military people want to admit.

I already see the US military infrastructure criticizing The Green Zone. As if the CIA is a symbol of integrity, honesty, and honor!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

the big deal is, that this is not a fictional war. this is a real war. and some vets feel betrayed by the portrial of it in this film.

and the fact that it can and probably will be used as a visual referance by people when describing/thinking of the war/soldiers. in the future.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Have any of these people in uniform ever heard of artistic licence or the OP? It is a work of fiction and not a documentary. Still I suppose that given the number of star trek references on ATS it is conceivable that one person may seek to emulate the star of the films reckless actions.

I also believe that back in the 60s some kids actually did tie capes on themselves and jump out of the window. I would like to hope that American filmgoers are more discerning. The OP clearly does not.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

So what? As far as I'm concerned the "vets" have betrayed the US Constitution and the US citizens. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are bleeding our country dry.........the military/industrial complex has completely gutted our country and we are taxed to death because of it. I don't feel too sorry for anyone that signs up to serve the corrupt and tyrannical US government nowadays. There is a line in the sand being drawn right now.............you're either on the side of the people or you're on the side of government..........EVERYONE will have to choose a side.........freedom or tyranny.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

for some reason i typed british. brain fart. disregard.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
the big deal is, that this is not a fictional war. this is a real war. and some vets feel betrayed by the portrial of it in this film.

and the fact that it can and probably will be used as a visual referance by people when describing/thinking of the war/soldiers. in the future.

How many fictional war movies are made? Not many, most are based on WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and now Iraq. I served 6 years and deployed to Kosovo and Bosnia. No movies were made about those conflicts, but speaking from a soldiers view, I see no issue with it. Who cares that the movie portrayed an EOD unit leader as being a cowboy? 95% of the people who watched the movie who WEREN'T soldiers would have NO CLUE, so hence NO EFFECT. You think some guy at home with ZERO military experiance is going to be upset that the SSGT of an EOD unit took off his bomb suit because there were 7-155 rounds in a car trunk?

As for the second part...how about movies like Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Three Kings, etc...making soldiers out to be rapists, baby killers, thieves, etc....where was the outcry then? NOWHERE because we as soldiers don't give a hoot what turds in HOLLYWOOD of all places have to say. I do understand the point that people WILL believe HOLLYWOOD presents accurate accounts and behaviors in their movies...and that is also where I say people are sad if they think a MOVIE is a source of experiance/realism.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

that is all.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

So how about HBO's generation kill? Is that unrealistic? Seemed to be one of the better portrayals of war in Iraq so far. Based pretty firmly on actual events. I don't know what you're trying to say exactly. You want every American to believe war is honorable and pretty? Hollywood wants to portray it for the craziiness, evil, barbarism, and half truths that it is. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Don't see why panties are in a twist over Hurt Locker except for the fact that the average American is pretty disgusted with the direction our country is headed and the support for war is dwindling as well it should. So the US military is going to do and say anything it can to discredit any opinion the mainstream has to save face and win support.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

So in YOUR book your the only true patriot and real American breathing this free air? It was your sacrifice and hard work that got this nation where it is right? I agree the government needs to be overhauled, but are YOU going to feed and cloth the families of the military members who take your advice and lay down their guns and walk away with a dishonorable discharge. If your willing to pay those bills and help them all out, I am sure they would be glad to come home.

Talk is EASY...the reality is some countires need out help 24/7/365...and as much as this war really may not be needed, others will be.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Really? REALLY? Your going to make a blanket statement like that...like you are the voice for all troops...

I got 2 words for you: Timothy McVeigh

Maybe you should call up all the families that had their loved ones killed by this fine product of the US military...and feed them the too busy remembering the sh** they had to go through and trying to get back into the routine of a normal life without worrying about IEDs, suicide bombers, or traitorous Iraqis who would double play us to get close and kill us when our guard is down. B.S.

Just because you feel secure that you won't go looking for your "war fix" doesn't mean that others wont. Furthermore, I would submit that you are biased, as you are military.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join