It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did the Rover get over THIS?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

In the video, about 2:00...."Note the metallic glint" (!!!!)

Sorry, UTube dude is a crackpot, or just totally unaware of science and disassociated with reality, it would seem.

It's a flippin' rock! (And not much bigger/taller than many of the others lying around there).

Maybe that's a bit of quartz? Feldspar? A vein of lighter-color rock of some type...just look about you, you can see same thing....metallic?

And, as aptly pointed out, Rover has clearance. JPL controllers have far better images to work with, as they control Rover, would have seen any obstacle too tall, and diverted around it. SO, obviously it was deemed safe to drive over.

Shesh!!!

NOW we have UTubers you, since the "Moon Hoax" nonsense is shown to be false, they resort to this?
Trying to claim that ALL Rover and Opportunity photos are somehow "faked"?

Give me a break!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Sorry, UTube dude is a crackpot, or just totally unaware of science and disassociated with reality, it would seem.

You think?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Very interesting find.
Thanks for share this.
S&F.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AntManBee
The object is actually two rocks. The flatter rock in the foreground was low enough for the rover to drive over and the pointed rock behind it was outside the rover's tracks.

Nail and Head

Well deduced!!

This is why I love ATS.. because the truth can be brought to the attention of the people... yet still those that refuse to listen will still sy is was NWO that did it, or that NASA are just covering up or something along those lines...

People.. Sometimes a Spade is just a Spade!!!

Peace out,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
IF IT IS A360 SHOT, THE TRACKS WOULD STILL BE IN LINE WITH THE ROVER AS IN DIRECTLY IN FRONT AND BACK OF THE ROVER

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by muffer

ya know the rovers do have the ability to turn, they have not been going on a straight line since they landed.
They have to keep their solar panels tilted towards the sun so they have to do a lot of zig zaging around hills.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muffer

The photo in question is a look back at where the rover had been, thus you can see where it turned and the angle is then a view across the tracks and not one of being in line with the tracks.

Hope this clears things up.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The rock field looks like the one in Saudi Arabia that Lawrence
of Arabia crossed in the movie of the same name.
Rocks deposited on Mars at the same time or by the same interfering
object perhaps.
Now don't go about looking for Mars landings in Arabia.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This pic might help in getting an idea of clearance underneath the rover:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89ae83ba5fe4.png[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

OMG proof, you can clearly see a person and a toolbox in that picture on mars.
looks like they forgot to photoshop it out.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Those tracks you are looking at could be could be old and it may be that a rock was blown there from elsewhere.

Tumblerocks?

[edit on 5-3-2010 by fumanchu]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Those tracks you are looking at could be could be old and it may be that a rock was blown there from elsewhere. Also the rovers rocker design does allow it to go over rocks.

Old tracks?? It is not like the Rover has been driving around all over the place. There is a very clear path and what the photo shows is a look back at where the rover just was not that long ago.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The vid is bunkum in the second/third zoom. Author 'claims' what is highlighted is rovertracks, but closeup it looks like scattered rocks, nothing more.
Neither does the object look any more metallic than other rocks nearby.
Sorry Im not buying it. Wishful thinking.
Id bet if the image could be identified, it would prove there were no rover tracks there, because possibly the rover is taking the image and never went there.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wayaboveitall

If you go to the NASA source and select the largest data file, you get the best information. Yes, it is real rover tracks. It was a look back at where it has just come from, but you are correct that the video is bunk. One can zoom in on distant rocks and see all sorts of things, what ever one imagines, but it is just that imagination.

If you look at the image with a scientific interest, it is not that difficult to see that it is just a rock, and small enough that the rover could pass over it if they so choose. It is also possible that as one sharp ATS observer claimed, that the single rock may be in fact two distinct rocks, and that the camera angle makes the appear as one. I personally can not verify this but I do not claim it to be impossible either. In any case, there is nothing unusual about the rovers capability to surmount various obstacles in it's path.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin

Those tracks you are looking at could be could be old and it may be that a rock was blown there from elsewhere. Also the rovers rocker design does allow it to go over rocks.

Old tracks?? It is not like the Rover has been driving around all over the place. There is a very clear path and what the photo shows is a look back at where the rover just was not that long ago.

Old is a relative term, the rover goes 1 centimeter per second on hard flat surfaces, so slower on rocks and does not travel while the sun is down. So best case not having to turn the rover at all (which it clearly did) on a sunny day with all the wheels working the rover would only go .2684 miles in one day and that is if it went all 12 hours. As of 2008 spirit has only gone 4.7 miles. i also said the rocker design would let it easily go over rocks.

It is not like the Rover has been driving around all over the place.

really?

[edit on 5-3-2010 by zaiger]

[edit on 5-3-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The rovers have ground clearance of 1 foot.

www.blogcdn.com...

that does not expalin the height of the rock.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

It is not like the Rover has been driving around all over the place.

really?

OK I should correct myself. Yes. The whole Idea of having rovers was for them to simply drive around. I made that comment because it was suggested that it as an "Old" set of tracks. But there are no old sets in the sense that they have not been driving all over the place, just in clearly defined progressive forward movements. There is not a lot of back tracking and crossing over going on.

The image in question is simply a look back at where it was. Not a look at multiple crossings of an area. The rover has not been driving all over the place. It has been driving on one specific course. Better?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

See my earlier post where I outline the size of the wheels, and the wheelbase. By careful calculations, using those specific dimensions as well as the lens configuration and meta data of the image, it is possible to roughly determine the size of the rock in question. NASA has much better information than we do, but even without their additional data it is possible to determine that the rover could pass over he rock with a bit to spare.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That appears to be a JPL mockup, similar to the one I worked with. Unfortunately, the angle of the photo you present does not show ground clearance very well. I applaud your input however!!!

To the others, A tool box does not equal a Photoshop cover up. I showed you an in lab photo of the rovers wheels in an earlier post. Yes folks, the rovers did indeed undergo earth based testing. By showing test photos, you get an idea of the rovers specifications and capabilities.

Who am I to make any knowledgeable claims??? I built This

GO here to learn more about Mars Quest

[edit on 5/3/10 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Damn. I miss that little guy.

[edit on 3/1/2010 by Phage]

XKCD

new topics

top topics