It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should the government help you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I see alot of movies, topics and websites about the fact that the government would abandon us in our time of need or keep future events/disasters secret to allow them to escape first.. and the list goes on.

I am a Paramedic in NZ and I work free of charge like the rest of NZ's emergency response teams, and today I really got a shock from the majority of the public.

You all know about the quake in Chile, and most will know about the Tsunami that followed, I got a call at 3am NZ time gtm + 12 and my job was to join with fire, police and military to notify the people in low areas by the sea about the potential danger they were in.

There were many people very grateful for our warnings, but MOST ignored/laughed at our warnings, one person even told me I was early for April fools, down by the boat ramps police warned people not to enter the water, most people just laughed and drove to the next boat ramp to launch, as far as the police were concerned they were only to warn the public and that’s what they had done, the police have no right to stop anyone entering the water.

I sit down now at the end of a very exhausting day and happy that they Tsunami was only about 1m high and didn't have the effects it could have, but I was saddened but the response I got from the general public, I actually felt like I was pissing some people off.

With that in mind why should the government help you? your all too happy to accuse them of not helping but when they do a high percentage of people ignore that warning, we maybe the puppets of the government but we were your warning!!

Hell we were your ONLY warning.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Yeah well I live in Australia.

They took my land. Killed most of my people. My mother was stolen generation. They've forced me to assimilate into this system. They'll damn well help me when I want it and if they think for a second I'm paying a cent in taxes without providing me services they can go to hell.

They owe me for what they did to me and they always always will.

If you government guys have got a problem doing your jobs we can easy kick you out. You know it's coming sooner or later bruh so best keep your head down instead of bitching at the people.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
PPfffffffffffffffff, When the ball drops I'm not gonna depend on my government for anything. I say the hell with them.

I wanted to ask you however, .... did you say you work for free ??

is that your full time job, or like a hobby.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Speights

I work free of charge like the rest of NZ's emergency response teams ...

You all know about the quake in Chile, and most will know about the Tsunami that followed, I got a call at 3am NZ time gtm + 12 and my job was to join with fire, police and military to notify the people in low areas by the sea about the potential danger they were in.

There were many people very grateful for our warnings, but MOST ignored/laughed at our warnings ...

... maybe the puppets of the government but we were your warning!!

Hell we were your ONLY warning.

A sobering realization.

The governments of other countries actually care about thier citizens, but not too much about thier first responders apparently.

[edit on 28-2-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Speights

First off, I mean no offense by this, but I think you need a new profession.

That's part of the job. Sometimes people don't want help. But normally, a person in your position thinks to themselves, 'if I could save one person, it's worth it'. If you don't think that way, you're in the wrong job.

I know that doesn't answer your question about the government.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

I'm not a "government guy" a am a civillain just like you, I work days as a computer programmer and every 2nd night as a oncall paramedic.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

There will always be naysayers who look to discredit their respective governments at every possible turn, and frankly I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Your experience brings to mind the unfortunate turn of events that occurred in Galveston, Texas prior to Hurricane Ike striking. People were warned that a huge storm surge would endanger the lives of those who stayed behind and yet so many refused to heed the warnings at an extremely high cost.

Be that as it may, I would personally like to thank you for your selfless effort to help those who may find themselves in a precarious situation. So, thank you!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Speights
reply to post by belial259

I'm not a "government guy" a am a civillain just like you, I work days as a computer programmer and every 2nd night as a oncall paramedic.

Kudos to you for volunteering your time, your energy, and, maybe at times, your life to help your fellow humans.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
Yeah well I live in Australia.

They took my land. Killed most of my people. My mother was stolen generation. They've forced me to assimilate into this system. They'll damn well help me when I want it and if they think for a second I'm paying a cent in taxes without providing me services they can go to hell.

They owe me for what they did to me and they always always will.

If you government guys have got a problem doing your jobs we can easy kick you out. You know it's coming sooner or later bruh so best keep your head down instead of bitching at the people.

How about you stop living in the past? How about you stop complaining about what was done and who is to blame? How about you stop blaming everyone but yourself for the problems you face now?

The past is the past, the future is the future, but the PRESENT is what we choose to make of it. Stop living in the past and complaining about the future. Take responsibility for yourself and do the best you can for you and your family.

I live in Australia too and think all of those who volunteer their time and effort towards helping others deserve a lot of respect. If you continually chastise and mock civilians "employed" by Government agencies when they try to help and warn you, expect the same treatment when you are thrown at their mercy in times of disaster.

[edit on 28/2/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Well my man, thanks for your service. Personally, I think we should go back to volunteer emergency services in the USA, because we cannot afford the bills we have.

Sorry the folks rained on your parade, but I think you might be a victim of your own leaders in a way. Everybody new by the time that tsunami got to New Zealand it wasn't going to be more than a few feet, because it had been a few feet everywhere it hit before it got there.

I guess it is important to warn people, but also realize people are going to judge the info for themselves. I watched the big Hawaii tsunami on the news and I knew before the time came it was going to be minor based on reports of other areas before it getting a few feet surge.

I guess there is a fine line between being careful and being chicken little and I think we went a little chicken little on this one.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
How about you stop living in the past? How about you stop complaining about what was done and who is to blame? How about you stop blaming everyone but yourself for the problems you face now?

If those problems weren't still going on maybe I would get over it. But the way my life is is basically a direct result of these things. It's hard to explain.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
If those problems weren't still going on maybe I would get over it. But the way my life is is basically a direct result of these things. It's hard to explain.

But will things ever change if you keep expecting others to fix them for you? I am not saying you have no right to feel hurt and distressed by what happened in the past. I don't know your situation and don't mean to downplay anything you have or continue to go through.

I am just suggesting that you take a more active approach to addressing the problems that you face. Expecting others to fix our problems - whether or not they are responsible - will not help you in the long run. The change you are looking for mainly comes from within, not without.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Good for you for volunteering your time to help others. but I'm sorry to say that alot of people won't heed warnings in impending disaster and just stay, that's why there's alot more casualties. but keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Sunchine

I guess there is a fine line between being careful and being chicken little and I think we went a little chicken little on this one.

Your right there!! but its interesting to see peoples reaction to the warnings, had this been a monster wave we would have seen horrendous damage

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
But will things ever change if you keep expecting others to fix them for you?

I don't want them to "fix things for me" I just want them to leave me alone. I can take care of myself. Their constant meddling and the damage they've done to me and my family is shocking and I'm never going to forgive them for that.

But as the thread topic asks if there is a government service I feel I should be able to access it and they can't deny me from doing that.

That is why the government should help me. That is their job. I feel they're somewhat obligated to do so.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Yea well if it had been a monster then all the people that made fun of you would have been washed to sea and we could have just chalked it up to natural consequences and evolution at work and went about our lives.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Honestly, I don't know where to begin with your thread! You say "why should the government help you" yet your not even a professional paramedic.

Don't you feel cheated spending so much of your free time helping others without getting a penny in return? I would!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

your not even a professional paramedic.

Professional or not it doesn't change what i saw

Don't you feel cheated spending so much of your free time helping others without getting a penny in return? I would!

No i dont feel cheated I got a diploma out of it and knowing that even though I am not rich or a rocket scientist I can still help, I am not obligated to help I choose to help and you would be surprised how many communities work like that.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Why should the government help us?

Because we own it......it belongs to us.

I don't know how it is in Australia, but here in the states we have a little document that says our government is BY THE PEOPLE, and FOR THE PEOPLE.

We pay these sorry beuracrats salaries, they work for us, they are servants to our demand. Many of them seem to be forgetting this, but will soon be reminded in a most unfortunate way once election time approaches.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Honestly, I don't know where to begin with your thread! You say "why should the government help you" yet your not even a professional paramedic.

So what is he an "Amateur" Paramedic?...lol I hope you are never in a position or an area where you need Volunteer first responders or as you call them "Amateurs"

As far as feeling cheated , it may surprise you that not EVERYTHING is done for money , Some things you must have a passion or calling for.

As far as the Government is concerned , I wish they didn't take so much money out of my income... I'm getting hammered @ 33% but the price of everything keeps going up.

We need more people like Speights. It's not good to always be of service to self.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join