It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceberg The Size Of Luxembourg Threatens Ocean Currents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Iceberg The Size Of Luxembourg Threatens Ocean Currents

io9.com

Dr Neal Young, a glaciologist at the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Research Centre in Tasmania, told the BBC that any disruption to the production of the super cold water - known as bottom water - in the region would affect ocean currents, and consequently weather patterns, for years to come.

"This area accounts for about 25% of the production of bottom water in Antarctica, and therefore it will reduce the overturning circulation rate," he said.

"You won't see it immediately, but it has downstream effects. And it will also have implications for penguins and other wildl
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I seem to remember something similar occurring in a Clive Cussler novel many years ago. Neo-Nazi's using the ross ice shelf to instigate a pole-shift or something similar. Not suggesting that is the case here mind you!

The impact on the global climate should be interesting. One might imagine it as a partial blockage in the cooling hoses from your radiator to your engine. Enough blockages build up, and well, anyone who's been around cars knows what happens to an engine at that point...

io9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
hrrrmmmmm.... global warming causes a huge chunk of ice to break off and flow into warmer climates.

the ice melts and cools the climate.

hooray for global warming?

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
From the BBC link:

However, the researchers say the changes to the region triggered by the formation of the new iceberg will not shut down the circulation system or affect the world's climate.

"There are also a number of other locations of bottom water formation, however. So, it's unlikely that a large-scale sustained change of the order of magnitude required for a global climate impact will happen from this one event.

Very sensationalistic headline. However it is something worth noting, the circulation patterns of the oceans are ultra important to our climate moderation. Plus, the nutrient-rich bottom water spurs growth of algae and plankton, which are essential bottom rungs of the food chains in the ocean.

Looks like, in general, this one event won't have much of an impact. The problem is if these events happen on a regular basis, it might be something to worry about. As the sea ice locks up water, it drives the salinity of the remaining water up and that water then becomes more dense, sinking to the bottom of the ocean and driving the long, deep-water currents in our oceans. If we lose too much of that, it will slow the circulation and could have far-reaching effects on ocean life, carbon sequestering in the ocean waters, and the moderating effects of the upwells of cold, deep water.

Oh yea and grey, this little chunk of ice melting won't change anything in that manner.

Regards,
NEXUS

Edited for grammar and context.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by NoEXcUseS]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

G'day D.E.M.

I've been listening to the news regarding this with quite some interest.....

.....because I like really big things!

I wonder if there are any interesting satellite photos of this around?

It would also be interesting to know if any news services have taken some photos.

As above for any of those Qantas Antarctic day trips they run from Oz.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I believe the photo in the source link is from the event. There are also images at the BBC link

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I believe the photo in the source link is from the event. There are also images at the BBC link

G'day again D.E.M.

I don't think that's a picture of it.....I think that's just an example of an iceberg breaking away from the major ice mass.

What I'm really after is a satellite pic, or some pic's from the air, perhaps like those recent ones taken when those NZ guys were landing on those icebergs off the coast of NZ.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that it's your job to go get those pic's for me

If I get some time later on, I'll see if I can find something

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This thread is already going here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join