It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perception of Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
For example... When we watch an ants nest, the ants are scurrying around at a frantic pace avoiding each other well and reacting much quicker then we could. The same goes for these house flies which can change direction in a split second. Do they see us as moving more slowly than we perceive? Can they react to our movements so quickly because they see a fly swatter for example coming slower than WE see it moving?

If this is the case, on the scale of the universe, could evolution and life on this planet actually be an extremely small timeframe at an immense speed as part of something much bigger and able to perceive life as WE know it?

Could the revolution of a proton around an atom be perceived to be the same as a planet around our sun to something small enough with the ability to 'perceive'?

As I write this it leads me to a theory that maybe mass is infinite, infinitely small, atoms are made of smaller atoms, those smaller atoms are made of even smaller atoms etc.

Look at the universe, each of the galaxies within it could just be a part of a bigger structure within yet a bigger universe still expanding ever outwards. We would not be able to see this for the same reason we can't see the centre of the milky way from earth.

Could this be a plausible theory?

[edit on 26-2-2010 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
hmm, so you're saying something we can't see is something we can't imagine?

i'd say it's possible

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Yes. I do think this theory of yours is plausible.

If I'm right, at least part of what you say is explained in the holographic universe theory.

Link to ATS threads on the holographic universe.

You tube videos about it.

I hope this is what you're looking for.
If it's not and you've not heard of it before. Watch and read it all !

Very interesting IMO.

Enjoy !

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I don't know if it's plausible but it's very much how I have perceived the universe from a pretty young age. You put it into words perfectly though.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
You are talking about what I describe as the fractal nature of the universe.
And if we are to assume nature follows it's own pattern repeatedly then yes it's very possible this is the case, to infinity.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by SeeingBlue]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I've thought the same thing, perhaps an explanation is we're simulated, and whoever / whatever is operating it is just ramping up the speed, as you can do on the sims and other games.
The characters in the game wouldn't really sense any difference in time because everything from their perspective would be going at the same rate.

It could explain some anomilies when the speed change occurs.

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
If this is the case, on the scale of the universe, could evolution and life on this planet actually be an extremely small timeframe at an immense speed as part of something much bigger and able to perceive life as WE know it?
[edit on 26-2-2010 by fiftyfifty]

[edit on 26-2-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It sound like a good one.

I thought of this sometimes

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. When I wrote the OP, i was extremely tired and in a hurry. Therefore it does sound like a child wrote it and there are some mistakes
. Didn't pick them up first time round, now I can't edit!

I am at work at the moment so don't have time to check the links some have you have replied with. I will get back on later hopefully!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I've never really thought about how things actually percieve time, that's an amazing thought and a highly credible theory! Because I can't elaborate on it you can have a star and a flag instead of waffle

Ramadwarf

top topics

join