It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of the 100 tonne Whale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hi everyone, this is my first thread, so here goes!

I found this on the Guardian website:

Guardian.co.uk

This particular animal probably died as a result of a shipstrike in the Bay of Biscay – where lucky ferry ­passengers may occasionally see these ­leviathans swimming across the bows. The ­skeleton of one such casualty, found in Andalucia, was used by the ­contemporary Mexican artist Gabriel Orozoco in an installation in ­London's White Cube gallery in 2006. The ­Cornish whale, however, has drifted into royal hands. Extraordinarily, a still extant 14th-­century edict determines that any whale, dolphin, sturgeon or porpoise washed on to English shores is the property of the monarch, a relic of an age when a whale represented great wealth.

Apparently this kind of occurrance is quite a rarity in this part of the UK.
A fin whale probably killed by a ship in the Atlantic, washed up in Cornwall.
The author of the article is Philip Hoare, a great writer on whales, a man who truly appreciates the majesty of these amazing animals..

It's just a real shame to see this huge creature washed up and lifeless after drifting hundreds of miles to be washed up on the shore..

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What was the mystery again????

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

Haha you'd have to ask The Guardian!

But at the start, they pose these:

A fin whale has beached on the coast of Cornwall. But where has the 56ft beast come from? And what will happen if it explodes?

..and then go on to make a real interesting article.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xFey_Scarlettx

Good first thread

Interesting that it could be seen as a bad omen as well, guess we'll have to wait and see if anyone prominent dies or some major disaster strikes ??

I personally believe in omens so we shall see ??

new topics

top topics

join