It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tampa Man Jailed On Charge Of Wearing Illegal Mask

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by murphyhurtme
Around here if you are walking down the street in a mask people are probably going to think you just robbed a video lottery place. If you are walking down the street in a clown mask you are basically asking for it. And you are also a douchebag.

As a former clown I take offense to your post!
I did use make-up,not a mask,that could be
the difference.
Sometimes you are what you post!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
An expensive lesson, but the law is the law. Most towns have similar ordinances to discourage criminals. They usually aren't enforced so vigorously.

the law is the law??? the reason this is ridiculous is because it shouldnt be the law.

heres another good one...in france it is illegal to own and drive a car without having a high visibility vest in the vehicle at all times.

they quietly introduced this law without telling anyone..thousands of foreign travelers get fined every year for it...france makes a killing because the law is the law???? no

the law is a joke

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
People wondering what this person might do or how to deal with court ought to read about Sui Juris. familyrights.us...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

They also require a warning triangle in the car too. I went over to France last year with my mates and had to buy a kit with warning triangle and first aid kit, along with a high-vis vest.

As for this law about the masks, does it extend to makeup too? If it does, how do all the ladies (and men) made up for a night out on the town get away with it?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Fred Grimm of the Herald has done a lot of articles on this.

It's the island under the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

There has finally been some movement on this issue after Morin has been highlighting it for three years and the young woman who actually helped to enact the State's sex offender laws started visiting the camp itself and seeing the consequences and employing the help of her father who is one of Tallahassees cheif lobbyists who got the original laws made.

The convicted sex offenders living under the Julia Tuttle Causeway now have a better chance of finding decent living quarters, thanks to the Miami-Dade County Commission. Commissioners unanimously repealed 24 different laws enacted by cities in favor of a single countywide ordinance.

MiamiHerald.com

Florida by the way also has the dubious distinction of incarcerating more juvenille offenders with life sentences than any other state.

[edit on 25/2/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It just gets better.......

A motorist spoke of his disbelief today after he was fined by police for blowing his nose while at a standstill in traffic.

Father-of-two Michael Mancini said he put the handbrake on before wiping his nose but was asked to pull over by officers who were standing nearby.

He was told he was not in control of his vehicle and was handed a £60 fixed penalty and three points on his licence.

Police State Britain

Heres a silver lining......

A man wearing a monkey mask, who may or may not be Dave VonTesmar, drives Dave VonTesmar's Subaru WRX. (Arizona Department of Public Safety)

Someone has been putting on a monkey mask and then whizzing past photo radar devices in the Phoenix area, developing a pretty clear picture of the weaknesses of high-tech traffic enforcement in the process.

Police say that "someone" is Dave VonTesmar, the owner of the white Subaru photographed during the drive-bys. The flight attendant is accused of wearing the mask to conceal his identity while speeding at least 37 times on local freeways.

Man gets his own back on the police state

[edit on 25-2-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

The anti-mask law was created in 1951:

"No person or persons over 16 years of age shall, while wearing any mask, hood, or device whereby any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter upon, or be or appear upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road, highway, or other public way in this state."

So I guess technically, this guy is toast.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db77bee9dc99.jpg[/atsimg]

And what about the newer type full-coverage helmets?

Perhaps there is something to be said for discretion when interpreting law.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
just another reason to avoid visiting Florida!
It's a for profit police state IMO...

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell

Florida is a great place provided you do the following.

Ride a bicycle and don't drive a car (I do)

Wear as little clothing as possible (I do)

Stick to the better parts of town (I do)

Work at home and never leave it (I do)

It just takes a winning strategy to overcome small obsticles in the way!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

Not at all. If you don't like the law, you are welcome to have it changed. Petitions, letters to aldermen, lobbying, lawsuits, etc, etc. Until such time as the law is changed, however, you must accept the consequences. Perhaps the gentleman in the mask was performing a deliberate act of civil disobedience. But I doubt it. He was probably charged with the mask violation because the arresting officer was unable to find anything else to charge him with. An abuse of police powers? Probably. But the next time the suspect decides to sell drugs or vandalize a mailbox or make a rude gesture to a cop-- whatever it was that set the cop off-- well, next time he'll know not to draw attention to himself with a mask.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Funny you mention wearing minimal clothing and small obstacles in same post.

I'm a native. In my spare time I like to climb Palm Trees and gather Coconuts. And as the saying goes, "They pay us in Sunshine."

Not to mention all the females in flip-flops and sandals. Lot's o' toe cleavage.

Yeah, I gots a foot fetish.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I live a mile from the legally nude beach at Haulover in North Miami Beach, when I say as little as possible, I do in fact mean as little as possible!

The truth is I have moved around a lot over the years, and lived in some of the more notable and famous places in the nation and I love South Florida.

No better place in the country if you ask me, and the truth is one could eat for free without even having to climb off the trees so much falls from them onto the sidewalks and lawns!

One thing for sure, you don't really have to worry about running into any masked people at Haulover in fact year after year it gets fewer police and emergency calls than any other beach in Miami-Dade's extensive system.

Amazingly the more people shed their clothes the more they shed the attitudes and preconceptions that come along with them!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell

While the OP story is pretty stupid, the state is actually very very good! Beautiful Beaches, Great Weather, Lax gun laws, good roads, good wilderness and trails and wildlife, and outside of a few retirement communities, great people!

I would only consider living in a few states, and Florida is in my top 2. (Texas is still #1, I'm from Missouri, and I'm a big fan of OK, AR, GA, AL, and MS, plus you can never go wrong with Utah, the Dakotas, Montana, AK, NM, AZ, etc. I needs my space you know.
)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe we need to pay closer attention to what is going on in our country and as you suggested be more supportive in fighting these injustices.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

I do agree, that the law is a bit over excessive for people walking down the street in a mask, however, the law about not going into a store with a mask on, that I would agree with. Many stores and businesses these days have cameras that are there to protect the interest of the store and business. While in some circumstances, people go into a business with their face covered, it is pretty standard that they remove the covering while inside, as that is for the safety of everyone in there. If a person came into the store that I managed with his face covered, I would ask him politely to remove his face covering as that was the store policy, if he refused, I would ask him to leave and refuse his business. Most normal people do not go into a store with their face covered, and unfortunately, those with not so nice intentions often do. So you can see why that law is in place. Ask yourself, would you want to risk your life with someone walking in with a mask on? So why ask someone else to risk theirs?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Would you ask them to leave if s/he were dressed up for halloween and had a full face makeup job? I highly doubt they'd be taking it off just to go into your shop.

This halloween I was dressed up as Freddy Krueger with latex glued to my face and copious amounts of paint and food colouring for blood effects. Driving down town I had to get fuel for my car, and seeing as it had just took me two hours to put the makeup on I wasn't going to take it all off again just to pay for my petrol!
The girl behind the counter didn't even bat an eyelid when I went in to pay though. Good job I remembered to remove my glove

img255.imageshack.us...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

Oh, I LOVE the "stupid laws" articles you occasionally see on the news. I used to own a small book that listed the most outrageous laws from every state in the U.S. [I can't recall if international ones were included], I got a good chuckle out of some of them.
www.amazon.com...

It makes you think though, do they have nothing better to do than arrest people for things as petty as that?? BUT, as with all government, its all for the money. Find a poor unsuspecting fellow, write them a ticket, collect money. Government is vicious no matter where ya go I guess..

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join