It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you do it ? Could you be someones hero ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
HEROES...WHAT WILL YOU DO AND BECOME.

Welcome to a thread on being Hero an act of which everyone should aspire to be doing or to become.

A man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength; "RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"

Someone who fights for a cause

A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

A person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

An underdog fighting for good with no foreseeable hope or future.

Martin Luther King, Jr.(January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968)

en.wikipedia.org...

www.writespirit.net...

MLK was an American clergyman, activist and prominent leader in the African-American civil rights movement. His main legacy was to secure progress on civil rights in the United States, and he has become a human rights icon: King is recognized as a martyr by two Christian churches.[1] A Baptist minister, King became a civil rights activist early in his career.[2] He led the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957, serving as its first president. King's efforts led to the 1963 March on Washington, where King delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech. There, he raised public consciousness of the civil rights movement and established himself as one of the greatest orators in U.S. history.

In 1964, King became the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for his work to end racial segregation and racial discrimination through civil disobedience and other non-violent means. By the time of his death in 1968, he had refocused his efforts on ending poverty and opposing the Vietnam War, both from a religious perspective. King was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee. He was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977 and Congressional Gold Medal in 2004; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was established as a U.S. national holiday in 1986.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

en.wikipedia.org...

z.about.com...

Elizabeth Cady Stanton (November 12, 1815 – October 26, 1902) was an American social activist, abolitionist, and leading figure of the early woman's movement. Her Declaration of Sentiments, presented at the first women's rights convention held in 1848 in Seneca Falls, New York, is often credited with initiating the first organized woman's rights and woman's suffrage movements in the United States.[1]

Before Stanton narrowed her political focus almost exclusively to women's rights, she was an active abolitionist together with her husband, Henry Brewster Stanton and cousin, Gerrit Smith. Unlike many of those involved in the woman's rights movement, Stanton addressed a number of issues pertaining to women beyond voting rights. Her concerns included women's parental and custody rights, property rights, employment and income rights, divorce laws, the economic health of the family, and birth control.[2] She was also an outspoken supporter of the 19th-century temperance movement.

By 1848, her early life experiences, together with the experience in London and her initially debilitating experience as a housewife in Seneca Falls, galvanized Stanton. She later wrote:

"The general discontent I felt with woman's portion as wife, housekeeper, physician, and spiritual guide, the chaotic conditions into which everything fell without her constant supervision, and the wearied, anxious look of the majority of women, impressed me with a strong feeling that some active measures should be taken to remedy the wrongs of society in general, and of women in particular. My experience at the World Anti-slavery Convention, all I had read of the legal status of women, and the oppression I saw everywhere, together swept across my soul, intensified now by many personal experiences. It seemed as if all the elements had conspired to impel me to some onward step. I could not see what to do or where to begin -- my only thought was a public meeting for protest and discussion.

Florence Nightingale (02 May 1820 – 13 August 1910)

en.wikipedia.org...

stfloranceeducationaltrust.com...

Florence Nightingale an English nurse, writer and statistician. She came to prominence during the Crimean War for her pioneering work in nursing, and was dubbed "The Lady with the Lamp" after her habit of making rounds at night to tend injured soldiers. Nightingale laid the foundation stone of professional nursing with the principles summarised in the book Notes on Nursing. The Nightingale Pledge taken by new nurses was named in her honour, and the annual International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world on her birthday.
Contents

Inspired by what she took as a Christian divine calling, which she experienced first in 1837 at Embley Park and later throughout her life, Florence announced her decision to enter nursing in 1845, despite the intense anger and distress of her family, particularly her mother. In this, she rebelled against the expected role for a woman of her status, which was to become a wife and mother. Nightingale worked hard to educate herself in the art and science of nursing, in spite of opposition from her family and the restrictive societal code for affluent young English women.

She cared for people in poverty. In December 1844, she became the leading advocate for improved medical care in the infirmaries and immediately engaged the support of Charles Villiers, then president of the Poor Law Board. This led to her active role in the reform of the Poor Laws, extending far beyond the provision of medical care. She was later instrumental in mentoring and then sending Agnes Elizabeth Jones and other Nightingale Probationers to Liverpool Workhouse Infirmary.

Robin Hood.

en.wikipedia.org...

Robin Hood is a hero in English folklore, a highly skilled archer, swordsman, and outlaw. In particular, he is known for "robbing from the rich and giving to the poor",[1] assisted by a group of fellow outlaws known as his "Merry Men". Robin and many of his men wore Lincoln green clothes.
There are many songs and stories about him, starting in medieval times, and continuing through more modern literature, films, and television series. In the earliest sources Robin Hood is a commoner, but he was often later portrayed as an aristocrat, wrongfully dispossessed of his lands and made into an outlaw.

In modern versions of the legend, Robin Hood is said to have taken up residence in the verdant Sherwood Forest in the county of Nottinghamshire. For this reason the people of present-day Nottinghamshire have a special affinity with Robin Hood, often claiming him as the symbol of their county. For example, major road signs entering the shire depict Robin Hood with his bow and arrow, welcoming people to 'Robin Hood County.' BBC Radio Nottingham also uses the phrase 'Robin Hood County' on its regular programmes. The Robin Hood Way runs through Nottinghamshire and the county is home to literally thousands of other places, roads, inns and objects bearing Robin's name.

www.bbc.co.uk...

What is striking about these stories is that they reveal that, in an age when the Rule of Law was respected as the foundation of good government, those who put themselves outside the law had become popular heroes. This is in complete contrast to public perceptions of the outlaw at the beginning of King Henry II's reign, and shows that the existing order had come to be regarded as tyrannical. Tyranny was the abuse of law.

If the existing order was founded on the arbitrary will of evil men who could twist the law to their own ends, then it was the role of the outlaw to seek redress and justice by other means. In a violent age, these means were invariably violent. Robin Hood and his contemporaries were cunning, merciless and often brutal (in one instance Much the Miller's Son murders a monk's page to prevent him giving them away); but by the codes of their time, they were also honourable.

More to Come

[edit on 23-2-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Mother Teresa (26 August 1910 – 5 September 1997)

Mother Teresa born Agnesë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (pronounced [aɡˈnɛs ˈɡɔndʒe bɔjaˈdʒiu]), was an Albanian[2][3] Catholic nun with Indian citizenship[4] who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over 45 years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries. Following her death she was beatified by Pope John Paul II and given the title Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.[5][6]

By the 1970s she was internationally famed as a humanitarian and advocate for the poor and helpless, due in part to a documentary and book Something Beautiful for God by Malcolm Muggeridge. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 and India's highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna, in 1980 for her humanitarian work. Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity continued to expand, and at the time of her death it was operating 610 missions in 123 countries, including hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis, soup kitchens, children's and family counselling programs, orphanages, and schools.

She has been praised by many individuals, governments and organizations; however, she has also faced a diverse range of criticism. These include objections by various individuals and groups, including Christopher Hitchens, Michael Parenti, Aroup Chatterjee, Vishva Hindu Parishad, against the proselytizing focus of her work including a strong stance against contraception and abortion, a belief in the spiritual goodness of poverty and alleged baptisms of the dying. Medical journals also criticised the standard of medical care in her hospices and concerns were raised about the opaque nature in which donated money was spent.

L/Cpl Matthew Croucher, 24

images.icnetwork.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

A Royal Marine who received the George Cross for "a supreme act of heroism" after he jumped on a hand grenade to shield his comrades says he would repeat the action again to save the lives of others.

Matthew Croucher, 24, was described by the head of the military Sir Jock Stirrup as the "exceptional among the exceptional" for the actions which saw him receive the highest gallantry award.

His mother Margaret and father Richard, said their son's modesty meant they had only found out about the grenade incident after it appeared in the newspapers a few weeks after the incident in February.

"My reaction was 'That's simply Matthew'," his mother said. "There have been so many incidents in private life where he has always put people first."

During a covert pre-dawn patrol to investigate a Taliban bomb factory the Marine walked through a tripwire that sent a grenade rolling to the ground.
Realising it would have covered his three other comrades "head to toe" in shrapnel the Marine jumped chest down onto the bomb.
But a split second later he realised his injuires would be less if he took the blast in his back and rolled over.

I had that horrible feeling in my stomach like when you were younger and in loads of trouble. It was a feeling of horror, lying there waiting for it go 'bang'".

"It took only four or five seconds to go off but it felt like an eternity. I thought that was the end."

Lance Corporal Jason Duggan and pal Richard Sharpe.

A SOLDIER back from Afghanistan rugby-tackled a would-be robber armed with an iron bar.

Lance Corporal Jason Duggan and pal Richard Sharpe saw two men trying to rob bookies deputy manager Andrew Dunn as he walked along the street with £3,600 in takings.

One of the would-be robbers, Tony Allen, said "give me the money or I will smash your head in," swung the iron bar at Mr Dunn but did not hit him.

LCpl Duggan, of Clifton, and Mr Sharpe jumped out of the car to help when they saw what was happening.

"It was like rabbits caught in the headlights," said LCpl Duggan, from Nottingham. "They started to run."

You may see from the steady decline of media attention ofheorism from top to bottom its not how big of a hero you are its doing something you seem right.

Now after reading or atleast looking at the list of people i hope it will help encourage to become someone hero no matter how little the the deed be. it truely matters.

Aim to be a better person and you'll become your own hero.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Great thread. These people are an inspiration to be a better person.

Especially MLK. He is a favourite of mine.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Thanks

Thats what i hope to do, help people to become a better person.

Mines Robin Hood as you could guess

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Great thread.

Personally, I think you should add Ruby Bridges, the African-American girl who became the first student to desegregate that school.

What an extremely heroic child, even more so because she was a child.

Star and flag from me!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Being a "hero" can also come with a price, many people that know I saved a bunch of people in the Navy and got injured call that heroic. Looking back at the situation I saved 20 people that were too stupid to get out of the area and as kindness for that act all my pain receptors are permanently switched on, fun life.

I've gotten people jobs, that screwed them up got fired eroded my credibility. I've given money I really couldn't afford to help out others which in turn would just want more. I've counseled people who needed help but would just keep sticking there fingers in the light socket of life. etc etc......

I think there are a whole lot of people in this world that don't deserve to be saved, being a "hero" is truly over rated.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
but many people who you do look after, save and help will be grateful. I think your looking at it the wrong way.

Its not to make you feel better its to make others feel better.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

I didn't do any of it to feel better, I was in the situation and was calm while others were not and reacted. I'm not a big fan of people anymore but if I see a wreck and there no EMS I stop to see if they need help. No matter what my thoughts about humanity are I still help. I'd like to stop because it's killing me, my body is destroyed and it's difficult to communicate which is why I'm more of a thread reader than a poster. I have a high IQ trapped in a "buggy" brain and body which is in a constant orgy of pain.

To be honest with all those issues I'm taking care of someone right now who has the mentality of a teenager, Aphasia from a stroke at 29 that was probably the result from the 2 extra shots of Anthrax I received. A body that feels like bones are broken and fractured and I when I mean pain everywhere I do mean EVERYWHERE eyeballs and the other ones.

With all those issues I see people with reliably functioning bodies and brains be lazy stupid and worthless. People that are too lazy to help themselves because it's "too hard". Oh boo hoo I'm depressed, and all that other stuff. I base my view on people from visiting 14 different countries 10 different states and seeing the same damn thing everywhere I go.

And since it can be hard to tell emotion from people from typing, I'm not typing this with any anger towards you.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

now you've explained i see your points abit better. i Understand where your coming from.

It just shows how people dont look after the people who need it.

Its all take take take but no give.

Heroes are a dying breed my friend please remember theres always people willing to help out even if there not able too.

Its being that person which you dont want to be, but still being him. that makes you a hero.

I hope thats not blabber to you.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Great thread, S&F and a wonderful read.

I always have been a hero and think everyone should strive for such a title in life.

UP UP AND AWAAAAAAY!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Thanks man.

yeah everyone one has it in them to be a hero its if they are willing to stick there neck out or are they too afraid of getting hurt.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
as you may know i have every intention of becoming my kids Heroine .

still waiting to meet mine tho

[edit on 12/6/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
oops .

[edit on 12/6/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It's not about being a Hero but living honorably. Heroism is a result of Honor. If a person is a person of honor there is no way that they will not one day be forced into a heroic act just because it is the right thing to do and they will not be able to look the other way.

Unfortunately, it seems more and more that the world is lacking truly honorable people - people who are willing to make the sacrifices required to live honorably.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

thats what i am aiming for, making a thread just to maybe influence people in doing something so much better.

Being nice can change a life.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Muhammad Ali is a hero.
For standing against the Viet nam war. He could have gone and been put somewhere out of the way of harm. He took a stand. Oh and he is still the Greatest.

I found one that is far better watch the speed. Unbelievable.
SnF of course.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
May sound siily but my hero is Douglas Bader.
if you haven't heard of him he was an inspiration to all.
after losing both legs in 1931 he learnt to walk,drive and even play cricket!
aftre being invalided out of the R.A.F he repeatedly tried to rejoin and finaly in1939 they let him rejoin as a pilot. after flying over dunkirk he was given command of 242 squadron,h then began to introduce new tactics known as "big wing".controversial but when it worked he was alwayys t the forefront of the attack.In 1941 he was promoted to wing commander.
on august 9 1941his spitfire was shot down and he was captured after losing one artificial leg in the crash. after constant escape attempts (his legs were even confiscated at one point!)eventually he was swnt to the infamous colditz.
In June 1945, Bader was given the honour of leading a victory flypast over London in a flight that consisted of 300 planes.In 1976, Douglas Bader was knighted in recognition of his work for the disabled. He died on September 5th, 1982 aged 72 . All this from a man with no legs!!! If i knew how to upload pics etc i would. this man is archetypicaly british and his "stiff upper lip" should be a source of pride to all us brits. Although I hope not to be put in his type of situation if i am i hope i can show half of his determination and courage .a true hero to us all.

apologies for the spelling....it's booze night

[edit on 12-6-2010 by consulmac]

top topics

join