It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange attraction to Niagara Falls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hello,

I've been on ATS for sometime now, but I don't usually post much. I just came across something I thought was an interesting connection of sorts, and wondered what fellow ATS peeps might think about it.

I've had this increasing connection/obsession with Niagara Falls for the last couple of years. I grew up near there, outside of Rochester, N.Y., and used to go and visit the falls often with my parents growing up.

When I was there as a young child, maybe 3, we were up there for a visit, and my dad placed me standing on the railing on the Canadian side of the falls looking towards the American falls. I had on a little red dress, and black patent leather shoes. I slipped, and my dad had to catch me from falling over to a certain death. I wouldn't have fallen into the falls, but into the jagged rocky level below us.

Oddly enough, I've always had an attraction to the falls. And, I collect tea cups and trinkets from there. I'm a part time writer, and was thinking I might spin a story centered around the falls and it's unique and captivating history. So, I was looking up information about the falls and came across some vids about Niagara falls and UFO's. It seems there are a lot of sightings around the falls area. Maybe energy? Who knows, anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had any input into this, or am I on my own with my lil strange obsession?

Thanks so much to anyone that replies!

Take care,

xxxx
Prax

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Praxilla]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praxilla
So, I was looking up information about the falls and came across some vids about Niagara falls and UFO's. It seems there are a lot of sightings around the falls area. Maybe energy?

Hi there,

You may have seen the thread below already (if not, you may be interested in it):

"UFO" over Niagara Falls : Video

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Not sure what your obsession has to do with Aliens/ UFO's?
Sounds like just fond childhood memories.
That being said..I have a small obsession with the Falls myself.
Only seen them once, but was trying to relocate there the past two years.
Life has a way of putting up road blocks and detour signs.
I found a better road to travel.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I think the falls have a very captivating romance to them, they have a rich history and could easily hold a dear place in anyone's mind. I remember the one and only time I have seen them in the flesh, my wife and I were visiting relatives in Canada and they drove us poor jet lagged UK folk down to New York.

I thought the falls were lovely, sadly we missed them filming Superman II by two days

In later years we missed the shuttle launch by one day....

Wrong time, wrong place

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I live about 15 minutes from Niagara Falls. They're beautiful of course and that much power no doubt has great energy.

As far as the person trying to move here, I suggest maybe not- even if your "roadblocks" were over come. Reason being I would think that NF would be a huge target in war times because the falls generate power for a huge part of eastern USoA and Canada.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hey all,

I live not far from the falls and think the ufo sightings are predominant there as all or most tourists have a camera with them and take pictures.
In some cases their just taking a picture of the falls, but when downloaded see something which only 1/60th/sec can capture, eye balls can't.

Decoy

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
so let me get this straight. You like Niagra Falls AND UFOs? I like the beach and UFOs what do you know, there are UFOs that have been seen near the beach.
Im justwondering what is the point of this thread?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Praxilla

The Falls are monumental. If you have taken 'The Maid of the Mist' to the base of the Falls, you are left with the feeling you have done something profound...on the scale of climbing the Pyramids. Some things just leave a real impression on you...I wouldn't worry about it too much, just go visit when the urge strikes. We'll leave the light on

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Niagara Falls captivate many and has a long history of romantic honeymoons etc. Per your post, you being a female, your attraction to the falls and the romance would be perfectly understandable.

Now, should you be a male, as you didn't actually specify either in the post, if you were wearing a little red dress and patent leather shoes, collect tea cups and trinkets, I'd suspect that you have far more things to be concerned about than an attraction to the falls.

As for the aliens, we all know they are visiting.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
There are many metaphysical possibilities but all are hypothetical.
Since you say your thinking of writing a story, I'll toss some out.

*You died there in a past life.

*The energetic force draws you there

*Maybe for a ufo pick up (that one's for the story for sure)

My pick is that you have had or congruently have or will have an existence there.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Praxilla, you mentioned that you almost fell off the railing, correct? And you also said your Dad pretty much saved your life by catching you just in time?

I have heard of something similar before.

The reason you have a connection with Niagara Falls is because something traumatic happened there, and you "forgot" the reason why it was traumatic.

Explanation:
Theory:

-When something traumatic happens to us at a location, it sends the visual image (or name of the location if you prefer), and a message.

-If the location is associated with something bad, such as almost dying, the mind will also include a message like "Remember this place, because I almost got injured here". The mind's theory is that when you pass by that place again, you will remember the previous time you were there and be more careful

-Technically, that should work right? Well, it doesn't work exactly that way. Over time, you will "forget" the feelings that came with the location, but still remember the location itself. Basically, you remember the location, but can't remember why you remembered it.

-The end result is that whenever you think about the location (Niagara Falls in your case), you seem to feel attracted to it, but can't explain why.

Real Life Example From Me:
-A while ago, I was in a relationship with PersonA. PersonA left me for another person, leaving me with a bunch of negative emotions.

-Years later, after I had "forgiven" her for the pain. I started to have a desire to see PersonA again. You would think that after all the pain PersonA game me, I would have forgotten her and moved on. Well, I didn't.

-When we finally did meet, I saw PersonA as a new person. I was attracted to her, and yet for some reason I still had feelings of dislike, even though I "forgave" her for all the pain she gave me.

Using the theory I posted:
-When PersonA left me, my mind made a picture of them, and included a message that said "stay away from this person, because they have injured me"

-Years later, when I had "forgiven" her. I had a desire to see her that continued to grow. The reason was because I had "forgiven" them, I "forgot" the reason why i remembered them. According to the theory, I had forgotten why I had forgotten them , and only remembered the person

-When I saw PersonA again, I was attracted, and yet had feelings of dislike. The reason for this was because I(me) only remembered the image of PersonA, while the Mind remembered PersonA's image and the message "stay away from this person, because they have injured me"

For those that like short answers
-Quoting above: You have an attraction to Niagara falls because you had a traumatic experience when you were younger.

-you "forgot" about the event that happened there (yes, I know you said you remembered it). Because you "forgot", you can only recall the event as something like a silent movie, where all you see is the images.

-Your Mind still remembered the entire event. The reason why you, years later, are having the attraction to Niagara Falls is because you "forgot" the reason why you remembered the Falls. So all you can "remember" is the image of the Falls

I know how confusing that was to follow; I did my best to convert an entire psychology chapter down into readable format.

NOTE: just another viewpoint, nothing more, nothing less
-fossilera

[edit on 22-2-2010 by fossilera]

[edit on 22-2-2010 by fossilera]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Ah it reminds me of the first time I went over the falls in a Barrel. That was fun but not near as exhilarating as it was crossing them on a tightrope during a Nor’easter!

Of course like most of us I would often hide out in the caves behind the falls when ever the Indian scalping parties were our on the warpath.

Yes I have a lot of fond memories of the Niagara Falls but probably none fonder than the first time I rowed up the falls paddling my birch bark canoe like no tomorrow!

Of course most people remember me for my breathtaking Mexican Acapulco style swan dive from the top. Though a lot of people busted my chops about the rubber duckie inter-tube I honestly think I would have died without it!

I love the Falls!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Thanks to all of you for the interesting replies! I think a lot of you have touched on some good reasons for my "attraction" to the falls. I hadn't thought about it having an imprint because of the almost accident I had there as a child, but that makes sense to me. And, yes it is a romantic spot in my mind because of good childhood memories and being with my dad.

A couple of people were asking why I made this UFO connection. I didn't really, all I thought that it seemed like a "hot spot" for UFO's unlike any regular beach or field, because of so many sightings there. Thanks for the link on the Niagara UFO thread. I will check that out!

Oh, and thanks for some of the ideas a couple people left for me to springboard a story from. I think I'm starting to form one in my mind, and I will probably start with the story set a long time ago in the early 1900's, and then connect that girl in the story to one in present day. I'm not sure yet, but I'll keep you informed if it blossoms into something worth reading.

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! Cheers!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zoodie

I never thought of such a connection, but I do think you have something there. It is a major power source, and a thoroughfare between the two nations. Maybe it's not UFO's but military surveillance of the area some people are seeing.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cdesignmaster

Haha, I loved your post! Oh, I'm most definitely female! And, yes I do think the romantic aspects of Niagara are the reason for most of the attraction for me there. However, there is something else, something deeper, but I was just in a weird mood, and stumbled upon the UFO clips. So, it being ATS, I thought maybe someone else on here had sighted one there!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I love waterfalls myself, nothing really strange about that. It has to do with the sound.
Interesting enough, Niagara moves backwards every year, I believe that it moves two feet/year. Someday you'll have to go to Main to visit it.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by fossilera

Both you and Cindymars, have made some interesting points. I absolutely think that partly my connection to the falls has to to with the near accident I had as a child. That was a very in depth response, and I do think that part of our mind maybe guards us from the full brunt of remembering traumatic events in our history. In relationships I there was a old boyfriend of mine, that I'd rather not remember, and for the life of me I can't recall his last name, now I should very well be able to know that, but my mind's protecting me from even thinking of him. Ha ha! He'd be scarier than encountering any aliens thats for sure!

Thanks for your reply!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Ah it reminds me of the first time I went over the falls in a Barrel. That was fun but not near as exhilarating as it was crossing them on a tightrope during a Nor’easter!

Of course like most of us I would often hide out in the caves behind the falls when ever the Indian scalping parties were our on the warpath.

Yes I have a lot of fond memories of the Niagara Falls but probably none fonder than the first time I rowed up the falls paddling my birch bark canoe like no tomorrow!

Of course most people remember me for my breathtaking Mexican Acapulco style swan dive from the top. Though a lot of people busted my chops about the rubber duckie inter-tube I honestly think I would have died without it!

I love the Falls!

C'mon man, nobodys gonna believe all that stuff. Indians up there died out a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

C'mon man, nobodys gonna believe all that stuff. Indians up there died out a long time ago.

Aside from the fact that the poster was grinnin' us...you figure the Indians up here have all died out? Boy...won't they be surprised to hear that!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Darling he just has a sense of humor, you should get one.
They are nice to have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join