It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DMZ and speculation for the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...(comics)

www.dccomics.com...

For those not familiar with it, DMZ is an ongoing, Vertigo print comic series started in 2005, written by Brian Wood and drawn by Riccardo Burchielli. The story is set in a near-future America where a loosely knit secessionist group called "The Free State Armies" is fighting a second civil war against the USA government. They control a sizable part of the country, with the island of Manhattan being the titular DMZ between the two sides. The story follows a wet-behind-the-ears journalist who is dropped into Manhattan on assignment, only to become trapped there when his team is attacked. He eventually returns of his own violation and we are shown the lives of those who live in a place under siege by two warring factions.

The reason I'm bothering to tell you all this is to stimulate some speculation using this comic as a jumping off point. I know many talk about revolution and secession fairly often these days here on the boards, but it usually boils down to whether or not it can or will happen. My interest here is to pose the questions: So let's say a grass roots style movement such as The Free States Army arises and open conflict begins. Then what? Where does this movement go from there? What if they succeed in at least forming their own separate nation? What if they completely defeat the USA's forces? Do they actually have any hope of lasting an real length of time?

I understand some of you may see this as a pointless exercise, either on principle or that the very idea is not even worth taking seriously. To them I say, just consider it an intellectual exercise then. I'm not asking anyone to compromise themselves with militia numbers or anything of a sensitive nature. Just looking to foster a slightly more speculative debate.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Hi, RoboKY. I'm going to check out this DMZ comic. It seems to be the sort of storyline that I enjoy. I used to buy a lot of comics. Sometimes I would see a particular issue and think, hm, maybe this is gonna be a collector's item, and I would buy two copies. One to read, and the other to save, untouched as an investment, of sorts for my grandchildren. But a housefire destroyed my collection and I lost interest in this form of investment. I remember the first issues of Daredevil and Thor. I bought them for, I guess it was either 10 or 12 cents. Not really sure, now. But those comics, in pristine condition would bring me a few bucks to have fun with. Ah, but I digress and am way off topic here.

I, too, wonder what would really happen if there was a revolution or civil war in the U.S. at this time. I can only assume it would be pure chaos. And I don't think I would enjoy that at all, although, the individualist in me says, well, I will do well and rule my own life after that. But, probably not.
I am, after all, getting old, and I know I am in no shape for such stuff as being a revolutionist and running about and killing whatever enemy I perceive.

The way I see it, is that if such a thing as a revolution occured in the U.S. we would see a lot of interest from other countries, and probably some of them would surely take advantage of this major breakdown in our political an social situation, Probably we would, as citizens just become pawns of other powers. The old, Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, stuff.

George Washington supposedly had a vision given to him by an angel. And he saw a future when the U.S. would be overtaken for a while, I seem to recall, by foreign powers in a violent and terrible manner. War, blood, disorganization, etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RoboKy

I have all the current graphic novels RoboKy! so s&f for ya!
I for one think it's entirely possible for a second civil war breaking out sadly for us though,all one has to do is look at Lebanon in the 70's and 80's to see the results of what happens when your local militia takes over a nation.

[edit on 022828p://4226 by mike dangerously]

join