It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

£20m Lottery Winner Found In Concrete Grave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

£20m Lottery Winner Found In Concrete Grave

news.sky.com

A lottery winner who repeatedly told his family "I'd have been better off broke" has been found buried five-feet deep under a concrete slab.

American Abraham Shakespeare, 47, who scooped $31m (£20m) in 2006, vanished nine months ago, although he was not reported missing until November last year.

His friends and family had hoped he was on a beach in the Caribbean, but police found his remains in the woods of a private property near Plant City in Florida.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well heres another case of money not bringing happiness.

The ending aside, it actualy sounds like quite a sad story. Ok he had a criminal history, but by the sounds of it he was not that bright. He was apparently very generous to others with the money, probably taken advantage of too.

I did raise an eyebrow at this comment...

"Police believe Mr Shakespeare was murdered, but they do not yet know how he died and have made no arrests."

He was found 5ft under a concrete slab, i think it's a pretty safe bet he was murdered!

Oh well, at least the guy is at rest now, maybe a bit happier by the sounds of it.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Guess it's true afterall

"Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery."
Spike Milligan.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
BS, i promise you that i'd be way happier rich than with my current income of... nothing.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
What's wrong with these people!!! You just won 20 million bucks, go and enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What is amazing is that Sky News is just reporting this some 3-4 weeks after the report appeared in North American media.

Shakespeare's body was found 29 Jan. Dorice "DeeDee" Moore was arrested back on 2 Feb as an accessory to murder and just recently had the charge changed to first degree murder.

Not exactly "breaking news".

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is just proof that all the dumb people get all the money in this world.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
What's wrong with these people!!! You just won 20 million bucks, go and enjoy it.

some idi-ots just never happy, whatever you give them

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Another in the long list of lotto winners who have died mysteriously.....

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
also, money does not buy happiness. people without money think that it does, but it doesn't. Just trust me on this one, folks.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This article is outdated I think.

They have already made an arrest and I believe -- from following the story -- that they have the right person. It was a woman in her late 30's, claiming to help him write a biography. Of course, for money. She was rather perturbed by how he was "mismanaging" his money and offered to help him take care of it. Not that she is an accountant or anything.

Here's the update:

Dorice Donegan Moore, 37, was arrested last week on charges of accessory after the fact regarding a first-degree murder in the death of Abraham Shakespeare, 43, said Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee. She remains in the Hillsborough County Jail, he said.

Moore befriended Shakespeare after he won a $31 million Florida lottery prize in 2006 and was named a person of interest in the case after Shakespeare disappeared, authorities said.

Before her arrest, Moore proclaimed her innocence during a tearful, impromptu news conference outside her home. She said she was planning to help Shakespeare write a book about the challenges of winning millions and that she was helping him manage the money.

Link: www.cnn.com...

Edit to add: Sorry...I should have looked at your source. This made US headlines months ago and an arrest was announced last week some time.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ok I wont be disillusioned or anything.

Not looking for happiness anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Money doesn't bring happiness, this is true.

however it can buy you a hell of a lot of things that might make you happy.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
All this money is making my life a misery. Here's a clue, give it away then.

You no longer have to have a horrible rich life and some children can eat and live.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by chefbalowe
also, money does not buy happiness. people without money think that it does, but it doesn't. Just trust me on this one, folks.

Tell that to the millions of people starving or living sub standard lives.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It sounds the first thing you by when win $31m is a new gun, bullet proof vest and a full time body guard.

Wonder what one he did not get.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by CX

Guess it's true afterall

"Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery."
Spike Milligan.

Respectfully, i disagree.

Money can bring loads of happiness...if the person who has the money is smart enough to know how to handle it.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by chefbalowe

Of Course it wouldn't bring happiness, that comes from within.

But...

It sure as hell would drop the stress level from monthly bills. [If spent wisely]

IMHO.

PEACE

Slay

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Money makes your cage larger and buys a better view, it can improve your standard of life and fulfil your desires, ultimately its what you have to offer as a person and how you decide to live your life that makes you rich.

One of my uncles is successful and wealthy and i love him he is a decent guy but he always goes on about how much he has and what he's achieved compared to his brothers, he doesnt seem too happy or fulfilled with what he has, his brother my other uncle is a family man he adores his wife and kids he doesnt have too much but he isnt broke or anything either, every time i see him he is smiling and playing with his kids he found his calling in life and it wasnt a career it was being a father. I think happiness isnt a destination its a mindset and you have it in moments how many of those moment you get is down to the individual some may find it in money others in other people.

That being said i so damn want to win the lottery, so i can find out myself.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Money doesn't bring happiness but it contribute to it, don't tell me poor people are 100% happy, that is not true, they have so much problem because of the money, they as me and as everyone else would be happy with no money at all, that is true but since we are living in a capitalist and money based system that can't happen.

I'm poor and happy but that is because I choose to live that way, some do not choose it and suffer from it and I can tell you money can bring smile on their face and even pull a tears because they see all their problem going away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join