It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Femtocell ( in-home 'cell tower' )Service Launch Very Close

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

AT&T Femtocell ( in-home 'cell tower' )Service Launch Very Close

www.dslreports.com

AT&T told attendees at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this week that they're still testing their in-home 3G femtocell service, which essentially creates a mini cell tower in the home -- allowing users to route wireless calls over their home broadband connection. While that tweaking may be ongoing, AT&T users continue to tell Broadband Reports they've received flyers advertising the femtocell service. A U-Verse and AT&T Wireless user in Pickens, South Carolina writes in to note that the flyer directs users to the AT&T 3G Microcell website, which doesn't show pricing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Sheesh...

Well, the good news is AT & T customers won't ever have to worry about dropped calls or poor reception indoors again.

But with the already controversial tie-ins to cell phone towers and various cancers and other radiation-initiated illnesses, who wants to place bets that these things are going to create a whole new host of "strange" symptoms and problems with people in the coming years?

I certainly ain't putting a cell phone tower in my home, no matter HOW cheap it is. But hey, that's just me. lol

www.dslreports.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Uh, the snippet you posted was pretty clear: they're going to use wireless internet connections as a cell phone connection. If you have wireless internet at your house, and you get this service, there will be no additional signals running through your house.

I've never understood the "cellphones/cancer" craze anyway. Cell phones use microwaves, which, in the doses used by cell phones, are harmless to humans. Heck, even the microwaves from your microwave are "harmless," in that they don't cause genetic damage. They CAN boil the water in your cells, though.

But yeah, radio and microwaves have too large a wavelength to be harmful to humans on a microscopic level.

new topics

join