It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic Code 2.0: Synthetic Biology gets a new operating system.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This is pretty amazing.

Now Chin's team have created 256 blank four-letter codons that can be assigned to amino acids that don't even exist yet.

Amino acids that don't exist equals proteins which we don't know about yet. Proteins we don't know about yet could give life some new abilities which are not found anywhere in nature.

In the longer term it might be possible to create cells that produce entirely new polymers, such as plastic-like materials. Organisms made of these cells could incorporate the stronger polymers and become stronger or more adaptable as a result.

This is a little worrying. What are the implications of this new and hardy sythetic biology getting thrown 'into the mix' with traditional biology in eco-systems? Surely this has massive and potentially devastating consequences if these things ever get out into the world?

What's more, they've shown that these amino acids can react with each other to form a different kind of chemical bond to those which usually hold proteins together in their three-dimensional shape.

So, an increased tolerance to acidity and heat can be achieved because of the way the new proteins are held together not by disulphide bonds we are used to but some different kind of chemical bond.

Science is more and more often going down roads which are barely lit if at all and the long-term consequences of it's actions are difficult to foresee. This does worry me a little and I think a little caution would be wise.

Another possibility is that we have stumbled on the 'operating system' which is in use by nature on an alien world? surely a possibility and interesting to consider....

Anyway here's the linky:
www.newscientist.com...

thanks.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

could give life some new abilities which are not found anywhere in nature.

So could this work on us kind of like in Heroes? They come up with a serum and when injected could give us powers?

Great find S&F!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by anarchist-rebel

Hi!
Well, I'm pretty sure they're not looking at anything that drastic. Think more along these lines:

cells that produce entirely new polymers, such as plastic-like materials.

As this technology matures then maybe the 'abilities' which this process can produce will become more extreme. Who knows?

I'll take a shot of the stuff that can make me telekinetic...and fly!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
wow thanks for the find

We never cease to amaze ourselfs, this is going to be interesting to say the least which direction it'll go
Flaged

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by paine

Hi!
No worries, stumbled on it on my digital travels and it caught my eye.

It does amaze me to think of what science is promising recently. The pace of discovery and progression is very fast. I don't think there are many ideas in science fiction which we won't master eventually. I'm 28 and it already feels like we're living in the future when I see things like this!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ever heard of the "Geth"?

Just saying....

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The sentient AI race from Mass Effect?

I'm confused... Is that what you mean?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Well, they are synthetic AI, but really if you investigate while playing you will find they are mixed biological and synthetic. They are mass produced to become what is essentially a slave race when eventually they started thinking for themselves.

To me, sometimes, there is a lot of potential fact in fiction.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
To me, sometimes, there is a lot of potential fact in fiction.

I agree as I said in an earlier post, Science fiction seems to able to predict future technology pretty well. I guess the logical conclusion for this tech would be something like what you are talking about. Imagine that in 20 years time as a reality! crazy stuff.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions. Imagination is more important than knowledge.” - Einstein

~Rainbow Sherb

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Ever heard of the "Geth"?

Just saying....

Awesom, we'll be fine as long as we don't try and kill them like the Quarians did.

Just sayin..

top topics

join