It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Model of human behaviour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone knows if there has ever been a model of human behaviour created that could accurately predict an individuals or groups actions based on certain parameters.

For example an individuals past actions to certain circumstances may be input to use as reference and an algorithm could produce the most likely action taken by this individual in a new set of circumstances. I would assume a group may be a little easier to predict than a sole individual.

Just curious if anyone has ever heard anything like this. TIA.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The Arabs. They hate western civilization because they are ignorant cause of their religion. Religion plays a big role in the way people act. Just look at the crusades. The crusades are upon us again, can't wait until al qaeda starts attacking roman catholocism, so that the pope will order the decimation of islam.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The area of studies your question first brought to mind was:

Principles of Advertising
Social Engineering � a Social Science
Propaganda

It�s must be noted social engineering has to definitions. One is the study of a social science; the other refers to a �hacking� technique. (Manipulation which causes people to freely give information to the �hacker� which then allows penetration of a secure system) Examination and study of these hacking principals can develop transferable skills applicable to the area of your interest.

I have not made reference to the �Principles of Advertising here because the ease and wealth of the information available. An offshoot of advertising is propaganda. The principles of which were first expounded by an American advertising executive and thinker - whose name right now escapes me � in the late 1920�s as I recall.

The principles of propaganda were first implemented by the Nazi�s in Germany and gave rise in large measure to the ascension of Adolph Hitler. Their application of the principles gave propaganda a bad name. But if you do not adhere to the ethical declaration �The end does not justify the means� propaganda very well maybe your ticket.

Social Engineering � Defined:
Basically, social engineering is the art and science of getting people to comply to your wishes. It is not a way of mind control, it will not allow you to get people to perform tasks wildly outside of their normal behavior and it is far from foolproof. According to Merriam Webster's dictionary, social engineering is the �management of human beings in accordance with their place and function in society, applied social science."1-"It is the practical application of sociological principles to particular social problems."2 - Social Engineering is essentially using human relationships to attain a goal. It is used by the most effective of law enforcement agencies, such as a local undercover police officer posing as a drug user to arrest a drug dealer, or spies oversees trying to gain intelligence about the next terrorist attack.
www.sans.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.fact-index.com...
encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com...

The Psychology of Social Engineering:
cybercrimes.net...
www.sans.org...
www.strike-the-root.com...
archive.salon.com...
www.libertyhaven.com...

Propaganda
www.propagandacritic.com...
www.calvin.edu...
www.disinfopedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by gmcnulty]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
There are hundreds of predictive models, not algorithmic. What "certain parameters" would you put in to your model, and why?

This is an interesting and rudimentary model:

vismod.media.mit.edu...

It includes some good language for expressing concepts with precision.

Groups can be easier to predict, and studies in conformity have backed that up frequently.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
An interesting link. Thanks.

Not to be not challenged, the first thing I did was to see if I could find out just who 'Source Unknown' really is.

I hate mysteries and masks. But then that's me. And just who we could blame and challenge for the assertion:

"Behavior is what a man does, not what he thinks, feels, or believes."

Source Unknown

Well I'm sure you'll now be able to rest. It has been attributed to Emily Dickinson.

Case closed.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well done, gmcnulty.

Maybe I could have predicted your behaviour and sourceseeking. I also saw the quotation, found it interesting, and let it stand as something I might have said myself, LOL.

Thanks for the elucidation.

I predict as I have already revisited this thread once, I will do it again.

PS. My mask is OK, it does not hide an enemy and it doesn't come off, whether that causes chagrin to the frustrated or not.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the compliment. It's appreciated.

In spite of my self revelation of my character quirk � a, rather at times compulsive need for a challenge � it�s a tad unnerving you already had a strong suspicion of it.

I shouldn�t be surprised. I know full-well how transparent we all are- even when making every attempt to be furtive � we truly live in glass houses. If more folks understood, and had an active awareness of that insight, I�m sure the BBS�s posting volume would be diminished.

As far as that mask thingie������. I think its sexy. Do you wear it to bed?

Enjoy your weekend.

new topics

top topics

join