It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Quick Fix for America's Worst Schools--Privatization!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Being an adult now who was a child of both public school and home school, I have to say this particular issues is a controversial one, and at least deserves serious consideration.

I attended public school from K through 8th grade, public school is deplorable in my opinion, because of the idiocy of people, and the way they raise their children.

Public school is nothing but Government funded school, from private tax-payers money.

With an agenda, but all schools, have an agenda, whether benevolent, or otherwise.

I was pulled from public school due to the aggressive and stupid actions of fifteen children who tried to kill me, in a school which resides still to this day in the heart of the ghetto, but it was not black children who were out to kill me, but white children, drug pusher's, among other criminal or semi-criminal actions.

I was raised to have an opinion, and to never back down, even when confronted by overwhelming odds, but this reply is not about the stupidity of those kids, but about the stupidity and obtusely blind Administrator's.

School Administrator's have zero clue often to the kind of nonsense going on in their school's due to forgetting exactly what childhood stupidity is like when they were kids, through political eyes of seeing only administrative policies, rules, and regulations, and Federal as well as State requirements.

Kids, quite literally, when in a school environment, will do whatever the Hell they want to, knowing full well they risk getting in trouble, because adults within school are either not paid well enough, do not give a damn, or are so caugt up within the system of regulations that things get missed.

I was home schooled from grades 9 through 12, a Christian home school, which while at the time I did not appreciate because of my youthful lack of comprehension, I am now overwhelmingly convinced if and when I have children, I will seek to put them in home school, not private school, not chartered school, but home school.

I could care less if it were a Christian home school or not but to me the home school environment taught me a lot more then the Public School ever did.

Interacting with other children who not only were observed by their parents, while the interaction was going on, but incidents were immediately dealt with, within the confines of a much smaller group setting.

Not that there were many incidents at all.

Public School teaches children nothing more than propaganda indoctrination by rote, hiding the truths of history behind veiled attempts at beautifying horrendous actions, of any and all countries, not just America.

Home School was so much more, besides a safer environment, visiting the library much more frequently, wider variety of books, field trips more often, and allowing each set of parents to set the pace their children were capable of keeping, as well as differentiating hours depending on their own choices within State Mandated requirements.

As well a part of the home school requirement was being involved in the community in man ways, to demonstrate ability to not only function just as well as Public School children, but to add to our wealth of educations.

One such program was where I chose to be a volunteer at the library, but due to my love of books and rather read, than put them away, I then chose to change to the Police Explorer program, and this assisted my community involvement much more and only added to my sense of purpose.

Both my brother and I usually sought to do over a weeks worth of school in advance, and then do other creative things with our time, and this lead me to physically being done with school work assignments more than six months ahead of time, but due to State Mandates, not finishing until the prerequisite time frame, just like the other boy.

I graduated in a class of two because of the differences of sizes of home school.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by anubis9311
I see 2 issues with your second choice KrazyJethro,

1st is the fact that not all families living in lets say a higher paying area could afford the checks each month. therefore more bankruptcy and foreclosure on houses or they have to move.

Well, mandatory education would be eliminated obviously. Also, charity and free schools would open up on a needs basis. No one really knows what would happen exactly, but the cost of schooling and the choices would certainly increase.

2nd is the fact what changes for those who live in the worst parts of town where the money is a thing that most people dont have? the school itself would suffer and students would be in the same if not worse mess in those areas.

They are already bad as the system in place now is based on the exact same thing essentially. The difference, is that communities would be able to do more with less than government, the way it's always been.

The idea that each kid no mater where they are from gets to have a $value assigned to them is a good idea on paper.

No, it's a good idea period. This is the way it is done now, except the money is automatically attached to the school rather than the student, giving that student options rather than being forced to stay in a certain school by force.

However what about the school that has 400 students they get 40000$ a month lets say. Well what if the school only has 150 students, well they don't have any money to buy books after paying every other expense. Leaving the education back where it started. Almost non existent or way to outdated.

I assume you are speaking about the first option now. In either option, schools are run like businesses so any under-performing school will naturally be more likely to shut down keeping the performing and efficient schools open.

I don't know about you but I want my child to know about WW2 and not just learn about WW1for the sole reason that the book is so outdated it was printed in 1920.

Give me a break.

The system is broken now, and I am providing options that can work. The first option is already in operation in other countries to good effect and have better standards than we do.

The second is the purest option.

More money doesn't work, the schools aren't good, kids are not learning what they need to, and the government/unions tend to get in the way and make things worse rather than better.

Add to that we have the Federal Government involved, which they should not be in any way.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join