It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's A Trap! Stewart Mocks GOP's Reluctance To Join Health Care Summit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba4c21a71e37.jpg[/atsimg]

With President Obama inviting Republicans to a televised summit on health care, many GOP leaders have been reluctant to attend, thinking it's an elaborate trap. This logic didn't sit well with Jon Stewart... or Admiral Ackbar.

Stewart jokingly agreed with the Republican sentiment, explaining that having a televised, bipartisan conversation on health care is so reasonable that it's actually an ingenious trap.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Other sources:
Obama invites Republicans to summit on health care
Obama Invites GOP to the Table on Health Care Reform Bill
Republicans Privately Worry Obama May Be Laying Trap With Televised Health Care Summit

What a dastardly sinister plot the Obama administration has concocted! Invite the GOP to an open dialogue on health care reform in a transparent and televised meeting.

Cmon! How could this possibly be a trap? It's a way for both parties to sit down and discuss openly why they support or reject this bill. It gets everything out there for everyone to see, you know, transparency, something that the GOP has blasted Obama for his lack of.

So is Admiral Akbar right? Is it a trap?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I totally support the televised discussion, as now the GOP's will have to answer within reason and with support as to what they think health care reform should be.

Well, unless they go public with their combined NO, without a reason. Cause then nothing will change that.

Hell, the chairs they sit on make more of a contribution than them.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think we're all waiting breathlessly to see what the republicans have to offer on health care and health insurance reform...I know they were waiving some papers around at one of the president's speeches which were supposed to be their plan. Maybe if the room feels comfortable enough Boehner can just read it - that ought to be safe.

C'mon, republicans. What do you have?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The only way they could see this televised summit as a "trap" is if they have absolutely no plan of their own, nothing to contribute, and are afraid of being made to look like fools on national television when they have absolutely nothing to say.

Oh, wait...

If the Republicans have any cojones left to speak of, they will not only show up, but they will proudly voice their opinions and offer their version of health care reform. If they complain that its a trap, and refuse to show...

Well, let's just say their absence will be fairly revealing.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by drwizardphd]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
They'll reveal their biggest political weapon EVER.

Sarah Palin holding a sign that says "How's that change and hopey stuffy working out for ya?"

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Koolcdj69

Oh no, Palin is with the TPM remember? She switched to that when she figured that she could make a faster buck that way.

But more on topic, this very well could be a trap. I mean if you have nothing in your hand, and the opposition calls your bluff, what do you do? Who flinches first?

I think having an open dialogue is great. It will help to move this issue forward and help show exactly what the GOP has to offer.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It's when Obama wants to do stuff like this, i actually kind of like the guy....there's no good reason not to do it, the best reason they have is that...it's a trap!!!

Look, republicans have only trapped themselves, by blatantly being against a health care bill simply because it's an idea that they can't take credit for. They bring up points about what i will cost and maybe they're right, maybe it will break the bank, but hey also don't have any solutions, they think someone is gonna be left holding the bag no matter you do with health care, as long as that someone is not the general public then it's ok in my book.

It's funny, i have a very tough time finding people who live in places with socialized health care that hate the system and want to get rid of it. The Daily Show showed 100% of the people they asked lovin hawaiian health care, maybe they edited out a few, but wake up people. It's ordinary people that work ordinary jobs, that do ordinary stuff like hang on the beach on their day off that benefit from a system like this. Again, I'm not saying I support Obamacare, but it's obvious that some type of socialized health care is a good idea, if it's working for so many people. Why cant we just base our system off something that works?

Liquidsmoke206 in 2012!!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Well, I think of her more as interchangeable sometimes lol.

And yeah, well I guess this is what it's had to come down too, to call their bluff and call them out on their objections.

An objection is no healthy reply without justification, much less their objection slows things more than anything gets nothing done.

But they have to face the facts, they can't object to every democratic solution for the next 3 years, since most the public must see that there is no help in simple one worded objection.

Would like to see what republicans have to offer, maybe it's good, till then this is a "trap".

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Too funny. they have to attend or the Democrats will clean up in the mid term elections and not only do they have to show up they have to have something more than just Tort reform ready and I really hope Sarah Palin does NOT show up! lol

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Why would the Republicans want to meet with obama? He didn't want their input the last time around, remember all the closed door sessions he had with the democrats? The democrooks still have control of the house an senate so why the "sudden" change of heart from the Great One?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

a few things....

Why would the Republicans want to meet with obama? He didn't want their input the last time around, remember all the closed door sessions he had with the democrats?

nope, i don't....hook me up with a link bro, i wanna read up on that.

The democrooks still have control of the house an senate so why the "sudden" change of heart from the Great One?

The Great One? are you talking about THE ROCK OBAMA?

Using a term like democrook is not only a possible T and C violation, but people won't take you seriously when you say that. It makes you sound like you live in a tiny little box and blindly follow anything that doesn't have a parody nickname. grow up.

I don't know that this is a change of heart, this sounds more like the Barack we saw in the elections, the guy who wants to discuss things out in the open. Thats my favorite part of presidential campaigns is debate time...to really hear what these fools think and be able to make a judgment based on their own words. I'm sorry but no matter how you slice it, you'll have a tough time convincing someone as objective as me that having a televised discussion on healthcare between people who will actual decide it is a bad idea.

I'll take all challengers...I'm runnin for pres in 2012.
liquid 2012, or yer just stupid.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Closed door session: www.huffingtonpost.com...
Another obama lie: iowaindependent.com...
A little more: www.politicsdaily.com...

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Chance321]

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Chance321]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

thank you for posting those links.

in a couple of them they made light of the fact that Obama wanted open discussion on health care reform during the campaign but not so much in his first year in office. It's pretty obvious that what he's been doin during year one has not been working, and I for one find it refreshing that he's gotten back to attempting to do the type of things he wanted to do in the campaign. You should too, because if the republicans really have any better ideas then dems then they should be happy to bust those out on a televised discussion. If they don't and the dems ideas still suck, then we know which 2 parties NOT to vote for next time around...

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It took about 10 mins to search for these.......I lie...it really only took about 2 mins but I wanted to get 'acceptable' sources for people

WSJ - Republican Alternative

Even those that are 'left' leaning were targeted by the ultra-left because they professed alternatives.....

Boycott Whole Foods

One cannot say alternatives were not offered or discussed. As the president made the claim to listen far and wide A LONG time ago. Also, when is it a bad thing that people of association have a contradictory thought process to the majority?

That alone drives debate and discussion and protects the minority to the fullest.

EDIT:

The deck was stacked from the beginning. Any alternative that didn't fit the bill of what A: The president wanted or B: What the president wanted was never going to be included into the debate.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

You are right, the GOP did put up a plan, it was discussed and yes it was rejected by the left.

So does that mean that the GOP should stop discussing? Or does that mean they should try something else? I understand that the Left should be doing more to be bipartisan too. But does that mean that the discussion should end? Do the Democrats just have to give into GOP demands in order to be bipartisan?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The invitation by Obama is merely a desperate attempt to stop the plunge in his ratings among the American people. His lies and broken promises, such as televising the HC debates on C-Span, have bitten him in the butt, and he needs to try to gain some credibility before the November elections. Losses in Mass., VA., and MD have shown him to be an empty suit and portend a gloomy future for the Dems.

It's too late, though. The voters will not forget the Louisiana Purchase and the bribes to Nelson. They want the Obama-Reid-Pelosi cabal to be gone.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
There was this Sultan in Egypt who invited all of his opponents to dinner to discuss their differences with then once everyone was seated, sealed the exits and sent in the troops to kill them all.

It would be a good start...

sadly Obama doesn't have the gonads to do that

I don't know why the GOP seems to think saying no to everything is sound policy and will help them in the mid-terms...it may be for the base but for the rest of us it is nothing but obstructionist and makes even the Democrats look good...and that is really pathetic...

The GOP making the Democrats look good.

Maybe Obama should send in the palace guards.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
the republicans in office right now are totally destroying their own party.

They need to realize that the largest majority of their supporters have past the 1/2 way stage in their life a long time ago.

The youth that is growing up right now can see these morons for what they are, which unfortunately will immediately make them think that the only other option is left wing...which is the same boat different captain.

But regardless - let them destroy themselves. If your enemy sets himself on fire - why waste your time putting it out?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I believe they should hold their ground. Right or wrong, they have made their stance and politically would be utter disaster to step aside and allow the majority to run complete unchecked.

As far as should they keep up the discussion; I believe so to a point. I am a highly cynical person and I would have called shenanigans on the televised meeting stunt.

While it opens the door and shows the process, now they are just going to play to the cameras. The Repubs will be stuanch and as people like to call.....the Party of No....catchy but inaccurate. The Party of Balance would be more like it....just as if it were the other way around, I would call the Dems the Party of Balance.

Stewart is a political satirist and at times funny, but can be very tiring and repetitive. I do love though have many are taking his political jokes and satire as a solid informative opinion. Rush fans, meet Stewart fans.....now go have a drink cause you know what....you are both up a creek without a paddle.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Is that not what this silly notion of 'bipartisan' is? Everyone throws the word out then complains when an opposing view takes a stand and cries foul and lets everyone know that in 2000 pages of legal writings, barely a pronoun or adjective in it has came from their lips.

So in effect, that is bipartisan. Bipartisan doesn't mean that the party in the minority is to wholly and willfully accept all of what the majority want; just as the majority should not and will never accept all of what the minority wants.

Its a tug-o-war game, but you want only one side tugging and then call it fair.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join