It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soviet Satellite Killers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I happened to see this page today and thought it worth a mention on ATS.
Its from the "englishrussia" website,and details some Soviet military space application research during the cold war,such as satellite killers,intended to destroy US sats,and nuclear powered shuttles.

Its mostly concept art and such,but I was interested in "polyot 1+2" which were the beginings of satellite killers,designed to be able to move about and intercept orbital targets,and may have been the very start of the space weapons race:

englishrussia.com...-10448

Spacewar.com on polyot1:

On November 1, 1963, the Polyot-1 spacecraft, the first satellite capable of maneuvering in orbit, was launched from the Tyura-Tam firing range, now called the Baikonur Space Center, in Kazakhstan. Polyot-1, which was also capable of changing its altitude and orbital inclination, was, in fact, a prototype anti-satellite weapon (ASAT) system called Istrebitel Sputnikov (interceptor of satellites). On November 1, 1968, a similar spacecraft intercepted an orbital target for the first time.

www.spacewar.com...

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

All that back in 1963...we can only imagine what sort of advanced tech they have up there that they are not telling us about.

[edit on 13/2/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Perhaps Reagan knew about what they were up to?

Hence SDI?

??

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

I bet president Ronald knew a whole lot of secrets regarding the Soviet space capabilities and plans.Its a cracking subject IMO,the stuff of waaay above(
) top secret clearance.Shhhhh!

The plans/concept of the nuclear powered shuttle interest me too,even if the Soviet version did not get off the lauch pad(alledgedly):

The nuclear engine idea reminds me of one of my favourite cold war ideas,by the USA,and that is "project Orion," a space craft powered by constant nuclear reactions-I made a thread about it a few years back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The flickr link still works and is worth looking at-all about orion,declassified docs included!!

Lets club together on ATS and build a space craft I say!
Ok maybe the T+C does not agree but we could couldn't we ?

These are the days to think BIG folks.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Russia is pretty much a failed state.It is capable of functioning only by the oligarchy in control.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, privately owned Russia-based multinational corporations, including producers of petroleum, natural gas, and metal have become oligarchs. Privatization allowed executives to amass phenomenal wealth and power almost overnight. In May 2004, the Russian edition of Forbes identified 36 of these oligarchs as being worth at least $1 billion.

They may rattle a few swords when one of the old states do something that they have a vested interest in but nothing more.

They are in such desperate situation they have to purchase a military naval vessel from the French.

Russia asked to buy the 21,300-tonne, Mistral class helicopter carrier to modernise hardware that was exposed as outdated during its five-day war against Georgia in 2008. After months of debate, France announced on Monday it would sell the vessel to Moscow.

I even doubt if the scientists and engineers that came up with that are still working or even alive.

You are talking thirty years or more ago.

top topics

join