It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-Legged Bear Walks Upright

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Not sure the source of this video I just received it in my email and decided to throw it up on Youtube. Its not a mythical beast but i'm sure it could/would/has been mistaken for one.

This bear only has 3 legs and resorts to walking upright, probably for convenience purposes. But it is really weird how human it looks while walking upright. Could this be one explanation for the numerous bigfoot sightings? Not saying that all sightings are 3 legged bears but this bear has seems to have mastered bi-pedal locomotion and would be much more convincing than a regular upright walking bear.

Any thoughts?

here is the text that was included in the email

This video has been forwarded several times so I don't know who the "I" is, but it's not me.

This video is incredible. I believe it to be completely real. "Ours" prounounced "oorse" is "bear" in French.

I go black bear hunting to Canada fairly often, the last 5 years straight. My good friend and hunting partner Butch O. lost a leg in an accident some years ago. On stand last year, HE saw a three legged bear. He said he couldn't shoot it since "it was a bro'" (brother). We all had a good laugh over that one. We all thought it was funny that that bear showed up in front of HIS stand. Another hunter in our group saw it several miles away the next day.

I wouldn't know what to think if I saw it walking on two legs through the woods!! Maybe the big foot mystery is solved. Because of the vertical position, it almost looks human when partially concealed in the brush.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I recently had to read a book called "A Sand County Almanac" for a college course. It was written in the 1940's by an ecologist named Aldo Leopold. I was mildly surprised by a reference to "Big Foot," but even more surprised when I realized that Leopold very obviously was referring to a colloquial name for grizzly bears. I had never heard this before, but apparently it was a fairly common term for grizzlies before the sasquatch legend took off as much as it has in the latter half of the 20th century.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
That's pretty neat, gotta be terrible on that bears joints and back though.

line

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AshOnMyTomatoes

Very interesting. I have never heard that before. I wonder if "big foot" is a Native American term? But the NAs, have stories that talk about the actual Bigfoot as being a real creature so who knows.

I actually think that the Native American stories about bigfoot being real is probably the best witness based evidence. No matter what continent, hunter/gatherers have probably the best knowledge of the out doors. If they say there is a creature that matches that description, i would tend to take their word for it. Not that eye witness = proof but it should carry some weight.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
That's pretty neat, gotta be terrible on that bears joints and back though.

line

You are probably right, cant imagine that is easy for its back and hips but it seems that this bear has adapted very well to walking upright. It looks much more fluid than other bears i have seen walking upright.

Hard to say from the video but it almost looks like its hips are different because its able to stand so straight and it moves with much less of that wobble that most bears have.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
That's why bear meat is taboo to Apaches.

Bears are too close to being us, cousins-in-spirit.

Among Apaches eating bear meat is akin to cannibalism.

Good find.

And yes, I think we've found Bigfoot.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
That bear must have a jacked arm!
Im sure its arm gets quite worn out and bipedal walking gives some rest time.
I guess you could say someone took away that bears right to bear arms

It aint easy bein cheezy

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
That looks incredibly strange, the damn bear has a better upright posture than me, so elegant
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I was thinking that this was a former circus bear, or show bear, that has been set free.. Then it could have learned how to walk upright (Or forced), and just taken it as a habbit once in a while.

As stated above, the joints wouldn't like this in the long run, so I wouldn't expect it to do it naturally. Also, I'm pretty sure the missing leg have no direct influence on this.

But, it lends to the possibility of it being in capture at some point, that it misses a leg. Could have been in captive, and mislected, someone spotted it, and the police/animel police got to the owner, and released the bear into the wild.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Hadn't seen the video before. Pretty cool. The bear walks with remarkable grace and ease. I'm no biologist, but the theory that this behavior was developed to compensate for the missing forelimb seems quite reasonable to me.

Here in Montana, I've seen black bear stand up on two feet to take a look around, or reach for berries at the tops of bushes. Haven't seen them move like that before though. I have seen a grizzly take a few steps in that manner once, in the Bob Marshall Wilderness; it looked much less dignified than this little lady.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This video made my night! That bear is so cute walking around like that! Seriously, how often do you see bears do that? Never!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshOnMyTomatoes
I recently had to read a book called "A Sand County Almanac" for a college course. It was written in the 1940's by an ecologist named Aldo Leopold. I was mildly surprised by a reference to "Big Foot," but even more surprised when I realized that Leopold very obviously was referring to a colloquial name for grizzly bears. I had never heard this before, but apparently it was a fairly common term for grizzlies before the sasquatch legend took off as much as it has in the latter half of the 20th century.

I'm reading the same book for one of my courses. Where are you located?

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
That's great. The segment of video where he's walking upright and being filmed through the trees looks more like bigfoot than 99% of the bigfoot videos I've ever seen. lol.

...and that beer has some posture. He looks like an uptight businessman on his way to work.

new topics

top topics

join