It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keltec, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Bersa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I know there have been far too many threads about semi-auto recommendations and the such, but I was hoping for something a little different here,

I am shopping for my first handgun(always been a 12 gauge guy). I am going to buy a less-expensive one at first, and then, after I get some practice under my belt, I will be buying either a Walther p99 or a Sig p6 or 225.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has owned any of the following guns, their experiences, whether they still have it, any concerns, etc.

I know there will undoubtedly be the "Just buy a Sig, Springfield, HK or a Glock" crowd that enters the conversation, but thats not what I am looking for here.

I KNOW that those are superior weapons. As I said, I will be upgrading to either a Sig or a Walther after I get the hang of the semi-auto thing.

So, after lots of research, Ive narrowed it down to the following models:
Kel-tec PF9
Kel-tec p11
Smith & Wesson 469
Smith & Wesson 910
Ruger P95
Bersa Thunder

All are in 9mm. All can be had for around $300, or less. All have fairly good reputations.
I eliminated Hi-Point, Cobra, and EAA from my search based on the info I have gotten about them.

I would LOVE to get any first hand knowledge of any of these weapons from people who have owned or fired them, as well as any suggestions of any others I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

[edit on 11-2-2010 by captaintyinknots]

[edit on 11-2-2010 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

just a question, why does it have to be a 9? The reason I ask is that a 22LR is a very fun handgun to shoot, it's cheap, and the ammo is reeeeeel cheap. If you must have a 9, then based on my experience, I would suggest the Ruger. They refuse to make junk. I just think a 22 would be more fun for you and break you into the handgun market with lots of experience.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
To answer your question, I own a Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and a Bersa. All function flawlessly. I love them equally, and would put them in the same category with my glocks. I think with proper maintenance all of the ones you have listed would suit your needs. I would go with how they feel to you personally. Go to a store that has them all in stock so that you can get a feel for it in your own hands. The Ruger, and the Bersa has a little bit of a longer trigger reach, so if you have smaller hands it might not be a good choice. The Kel-tec's are a cheaper polymer framed handgun, but all in all they hold up good with proper maintenance. Smith and Wesson has made exceptional weapons asside from the sigma series. Just my .02.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

just a question, why does it have to be a 9? The reason I ask is that a 22LR is a very fun handgun to shoot, it's cheap, and the ammo is reeeeeel cheap. If you must have a 9, then based on my experience, I would suggest the Ruger. They refuse to make junk. I just think a 22 would be more fun for you and break you into the handgun market with lots of experience.

Thanks for replying!

I have strongly considered a 22lr, but I would like to keep it in the same caliber as the Sig or Walther that I am going to buy later, which will be a 9mm(thought about .40 cal, but I just dont think I need that much). That way I can only stock one type of ammo

I am working on getting education and certification on becoming a P.I., and would like a little more stopping power than a .22 once I am carrying.

Ruger is what I was leaning toward, especially knowing that the P95 has been used as a duty sidearm by many depts.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Thanks!

Do you fire all of them regularly? Which has the most recoil? Which would you consider the most accurate?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I tend to go with the Ruger for recoil. It has less recoil than either the Bersa, or the Smith and Wesson. I like the Smith and Wesson for accuracy, though the Ruger is no slouch. The Bersa I bought on an impulse, and as much as I like it, I just don't shoot it as much as I do the others. I would go with the Ruger over all personally, but thats just me. There is something about the feel of the Ruger that is appealing to me. If you do decide to go this route (Ruger) it is well worth the money ($25 or so) to get the hogue rubber grip with the finger grooves, makes it handle much better.

Edit to answer your question: Yes I do shoot them regularly. (schedule permitting) The order of recoil I would put like this: (most to least) Kel-Tec, Bersa, Smith and Wesson, Ruger.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by SpaDe_]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

I tend to go with the Ruger for recoil. It has less recoil than either the Bersa, or the Smith and Wesson. I like the Smith and Wesson for accuracy, though the Ruger is no slouch. The Bersa I bought on an impulse, and as much as I like it, I just don't shoot it as much as I do the others. I would go with the Ruger over all personally, but thats just me. There is something about the feel of the Ruger that is appealing to me. If you do decide to go this route (Ruger) it is well worth the money ($25 or so) to get the hogue rubber grip with the finger grooves, makes it handle much better.

Edit to answer your question: Yes I do shoot them regularly. (schedule permitting)

[edit on 11-2-2010 by SpaDe_]

Great info! Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have an S & W 459 and it has been an extremely accurate and reliable weapon and I bought mine used. I still use it and I have had only a few problems. Mostly magazine related. If you do buy a 469(or the older 459) test the mags it comes with and if they just don't jive with you buy some Promag magazines for it, they seem to alleviate the problems I experienced with the factory mags.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
My suggestion would be to get a good gun that you can use for concealed carry. You may not wish to now but you might find later reason for doing so.
YOu can't go wrong with the kel=tec pf9, been my cc piece for 2 years and the only MORE comfortable carry sidearm is my ruger LCP. I don't see any point in spending more than what these 2 guns costs.

Spending more and going larger will get you a few more yards in accuracy but that's shotgun range by that point.

Keltec is also making a very cool new pistol in 22.wmr, tad smaller and way lighter than a 1911 but holds 31 rounds!!

Think hard about your philosophy of use for handgunning, precisely what situations and distances do you anticipate using it in. Then just buy the gun that feels best while fulfilling your needs.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I own a kel-tec sub 2000 in 40 s&w it is a great gun and it uses the glock clip so your handgun and carbine can interchange mags how cool is that. I have tricked it out and it is deadly accurate to 100 yards with no scope. I love it and it is well made and weighs under 5 pounds and folds in half.

They also come in 9mm

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i would go with S&W or ruger ,just for resale and trade value,kel-tech and bersa wont sell or trade in anything near what you paid for them.Stainless Steel is added plus also.Taurus makes good 9MM.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Truthfully my favorite 9mm for about 300 is the Taurus Millennium Pro. 12+1, damn near subcompact size but with a full grip.. It's really light too, and has some great features.

The first gens were shaky but all the kinds have been worked out over the years

I would avoid the keltecs.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by madokie

I am actually see the price rise for kel-tec rifles and carbines they are in very high demand and like I said the sub 2000 is a very good rifle I own many rifles including Remington's and rugers and saiga and the kel-tec is my favorite.

You can not go wrong for the money and if you want stopping power I upgraded to the 40 s&w it has great take down ability.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
My suggestion would be to get a good gun that you can use for concealed carry. You may not wish to now but you might find later reason for doing so.
YOu can't go wrong with the kel=tec pf9, been my cc piece for 2 years and the only MORE comfortable carry sidearm is my ruger LCP. I don't see any point in spending more than what these 2 guns costs.

Spending more and going larger will get you a few more yards in accuracy but that's shotgun range by that point.

Keltec is also making a very cool new pistol in 22.wmr, tad smaller and way lighter than a 1911 but holds 31 rounds!!

Think hard about your philosophy of use for handgunning, precisely what situations and distances do you anticipate using it in. Then just buy the gun that feels best while fulfilling your needs.

The idea is to get my CC this summer, which is why I am looking at the smaller classes first.

I have concerns about the pf9 and p11 being a bit small for me. i am not a big guy, but am not small either (5-11, 180ish).

Have you had any issues with the size?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
I own a kel-tec sub 2000 in 40 s&w it is a great gun and it uses the glock clip so your handgun and carbine can interchange mags how cool is that. I have tricked it out and it is deadly accurate to 100 yards with no scope. I love it and it is well made and weighs under 5 pounds and folds in half.

They also come in 9mm

After I get my handguns, my next step will be to look at rifles. Do you mind if I contact you at that point to get some opinions?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by madokie
i would go with S&W or ruger ,just for resale and trade value,kel-tech and bersa wont sell or trade in anything near what you paid for them.Stainless Steel is added plus also.Taurus makes good 9MM.

Resale value is of absolutely no concern. I dont plan on ever getting rid of them, once I have them.

I looked at the Taurus models, but the reviews on them just dont inspire confidence.

Do you have any personal experience with them? If so, what model?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
Truthfully my favorite 9mm for about 300 is the Taurus Millennium Pro. 12+1, damn near subcompact size but with a full grip.. It's really light too, and has some great features.

The first gens were shaky but all the kinds have been worked out over the years

I would avoid the keltecs.

Do you own a Taurus Mill Pro? I like the size of them, but as I said to someone else, the reviews scare me off a bit.

Also, why would you avoid kel-tecs?

[edit on 12-2-2010 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If you just want to upgrade anyway why waste your time with a lesser firearm? Learn how to use the gun you plan to carry. Make the investment because there is really nothing complicated with most semi autos especially Glocks or Springfield XD's. No external safeties/ decocking levers etc.. Load them, cycle the action and you are ready to go. Just as easy and safe as carrying a double action revolver. Plus you have consistent trigger pull with every shot. Add those benefits to high capacity 9mm magazines and you are ready to roll. Heck, the new XD-M will give you two 19 round magazines.

If you just want to take a few guns for a test run. Find a range that rents guns. 200 rounds through a single gun and you should familiar enough to be ready to buy it.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Of your list I own a PF9. It's always on me. When I first got it I wasnt confident in it. A lot of failures to feed. After a thousand or so rounds I guess I broke it in and now it never fails. It's been several thousand shots since its break-in period and no failures. Very comfortable to wear all day too. In the Summer I just wear shorts and a t-shirt and it's well concealed in a thin IWB holster.

Expect a long break-in period. Past that you're golden.

I should warn you that assembly can be a bit tricky. The barrel doesnt like to sit still when you're getting the slide back on and the tension is outrageous. I wear gloves to get a good hold on it.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
If you just want to upgrade anyway why waste your time with a lesser firearm? Learn how to use the gun you plan to carry. Make the investment because there is really nothing complicated with most semi autos especially Glocks or Springfield XD's. No external safeties/ decocking levers etc.. Load them, cycle the action and you are ready to go. Just as easy and safe as carrying a double action revolver. Plus you have consistent trigger pull with every shot. Add those benefits to high capacity 9mm magazines and you are ready to roll. Heck, the new XD-M will give you two 19 round magazines.

If you just want to take a few guns for a test run. Find a range that rents guns. 200 rounds through a single gun and you should familiar enough to be ready to buy it.

For a few reasons.

1)The one I buy first is going to be in the sub-compact class. It is going to become a backup, eventually, and a 'pocket mouse'. The next one is going to be a full size. It is going to be a sidearm.
2)I want the first one to be something that I am okay with it taking a beating as I learn
3)I want one small enough that my girl can use it if needed
4)I want to end up with 2-and am on a budget. So I can get the first one now, and then save up for the next one, or I can just wait until I can afford the Walther, and have nothing in the mean time.
5)I plan to be comfortable using both, and carrying both.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join