It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber ShockWave Hits Washington

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Cyber ShockWave Hits Washington

politics.theatlantic.com

On February 16, at about 10:00 am ET, the U.S. will be hit by a massive, crippling cyber attack from an unknown entity. Key players will convene in the White House situation room and plan the response, from mitigation to (possibly) retaliation. It'll be live on television -- G.N.N.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

Working Link

[edit on 2/10/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is an exercise or mockup to determine and study the impact of a massive cyber attack on the US. The news has been hot in the past year with numerous cyber attacks ranging from US military & commerce to critical infrastructure. We've also seen how drills can sometimes materialize into the real thing, 7/7 London comes to mind. The US and many of her allies are completely unprepared for an all out war on the cyber front. There are also several big names participating in this event:

* Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff as National Security Advisor
* Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte as Secretary of State
* White House Homeland Security Advisor Fran Townsend as Secretary of Homeland Security
* Director of Central Intelligence John McLaughlin as Director of National Intelligence
* Senator Bennett Johnston as Secretary of Energy
* Director of the National Economic Council Stephen Friedman as Secretary of Treasury
* Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick as Attorney General
* White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart as Counselor to the President
* General Counsel of the National Security Agency Stewart Baker as Cyber Coordinator
* Deputy Commander U.S. European Command Charles F. Wald as Secretary of Defense

politics.theatlantic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

brill

Working Link

[edit on 2/10/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Nice. They're celebrating my birthday with a cyber party!

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
And don't we all know what happens when they plan an "Exercise" ?
Hmmm?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Your title kind of freaked me out it is a little misleading but I am glad to see we are preparing for it. I hope we are one step ahead of them instead of the other way around.

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
with all the warnings about how we are nowhere near as prepared as we should be for a cyber attack, I find it kinda creepy that they are running a drill on this now. they ran a drill on airplanes as missiles on 9/11 and they were running a drill in london when they were attacked as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Your title kind of freaked me out it is a little misleading but I am glad to see we are preparing for it. I hope we are one step ahead of them instead of the other way around.

I completely agree, the title is sensationalized but the rules state I need to use the article title
. When I first saw the article I immediately thought that perhaps conficker was on the prowl or some other botnet was making its mark.

brill

[edit on 10-2-2010 by brill]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt that one bit. With the amount of knowledge and knowledge that "we as people, should have the right to know" that our government hides, i wouldn't be surprised.

The price you pay for making secrets of things that we have the right to know about.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
If the Internet is shut down and then blamed on some terrorist from caves you can bet that the TV will still be working. Most cell phones that rely on internet access will be rendered archaic. As such with the Internet out of the way and most cell phones, the MSM could then improve its ratings and make some money off of the crisis by being the focus of attention.

Ratings and what those ratings mean in regard to profits is what will benefit the MSM while the Internet is rendered inoperative. The MSM stands to make a lot of money off of any crisis that shuts down the Internet.

With the Internet shut down, this is when I would expect some type of move against Americans and our liberties and freedoms. Whether its round up of citizens deemed terrorist because of their disagreement with Obama, gun confiscation, martial law, or the selective removal and termination of those deemed leaders in any possible conflict with Americans.

I will note the date and hope for the best, but if we have learned anything is that when the evil elite plan a large scale exercise, it's usually because they are going to stage some false flag operation.

Let's hope this exercise is just another exercise and not the covert actions of a sudden and fatal move against Americans openly against everything Obama represents. If this is an endgame move on Obama's part, then we will know within moments of any claim that terrorist have done their evil deed on the Internet. Obama's teleprompter response will be very revealing to those that listen to how he hypnotically speaks of certain things important to his agenda.

I for one just don't think Obama can lie to the public with a straight face if and when the endgame becomes stained with the blood of innocent Americans caught up in the globalist move to position the USA for complete takeover by foreign powers and a cartel of corrupt criminals. Of course he may not care what we think if indeed Obama is rushing for a short term goal.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Should we plan to dig out CB and/or HAM radios to be on the safe side?

Remember, if you have to hit the "kill switch" then the cyber-terrorists have already won. And I'll take that cyber-economy stimulus credit at The Apple Store when you are all done, thank you...Oh and while you are at it, set me up to receive the unused credits, you know as a thank you for the idea of getting the cyber-economy rolling again.

And once again if you are not with us, then all your base belong to us.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack

I for one just don't think Obama can lie to the public with a straight face if and when the endgame becomes stained with the blood of innocent Americans caught up in the globalist move to position the USA for complete takeover by foreign powers and a cartel of corrupt criminals. Of course he may not care what we think if indeed Obama is rushing for a short term goal.

If that magic teleprompter is wireless, he might have a really hard time.

Unfortunately, the result of this test may be the impetus to roll out Internet 2.0 Something that has been wanted for a long time, but could not be put over. Think of it a virtual version of justifying the Patriot Act.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
And don't we all know what happens when they plan an "Exercise" ?
Hmmm?

That was my thought exactly. How many times have we seen an "emergency drill" happen the same day as as an "attack?" It happened on 9/11 here in the U.S. It happened on 7/7 in London. And I think, if I remember correctly...it's happened other times, too....

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
What a great time actual for an actual cyber attack...

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DantesPeak
Nice. They're celebrating my birthday with a cyber party!

Happy Birthday, DantesPeak.

I guess my facebook farmville farm is acting accordingly, then. hahahaa

Just can't get it to load today.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ya know, a cyberattack isn't just against the internet and cell phones and GPS (which the sun is playing an important part right now) - it's highly known that every major infrastructure we have is controlled (or at least highly monitored) through the internet.

If either "they" or anyone who might consider such a time advantageous to further an agenda decides to, they could take everything out with the power and water grids.

Ever hear of a "Fire Sale" (popularized in Die Hard: With a Vengeance, I believe)?

Just a sobering thought.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...but most of us here at ATS are probably prepared already. I just hope your neighbors are too.

EDIT: Star & Flag for this one brill.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I believe it. A few days ago I had a huge panic with my computer, I thought it could be a cyber attack! HAHA it had me going for awhile. I have a macbook Pro, I have had a mac for 10 years now and never a security problem, I use proxies for connection, etc. What happened was exactly at midnight I lost internet. I thought it was a connection isp issue. But then I found out google, yahoo and a few other main sites worked, but I could not get on anything else- just dead. I could google fine, but couldn't open most links at all. It was scary- I ended up re-installing 10.6 and that fixed it- so either I had a OS error, or something triggered that error. I was thinking how this would be the perfect attack. We could still get on google, yahoo to see news, well at least what tptb wanted to show us, but go nowhere else. Imagine if this same thing happened to everyone? It would shut the world down.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
In regards to my last post, I was thinking. What if apple and microsoft built this into their no OS's on purpose? It would make sense as to the low cost of snow leopard and windows 7, and when 7 was beta for free. This would target people who where techy and up to date the most. HMMM?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Scare tactics to prep the population for InterNet regulations, tight controls

AND

A TOTAL LOSS OF PERSONAL FREEDOM

Be scared. Be very very scared. This is about shutting down the Net.

@#$%

NOTE: I don't mean the Net will be shut down on the 16th - the "drill" is about building "popular opinion" by scaring people into sacrificing their freedom for "personal safety" and "national security."

[edit on 10-2-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So is it a real drill where they actually "shut off the internet"? Will I be able to go to the bank that day? I expect my tax refund around that time!!

And we all DO know what happens during drills. I hope my refund comes before this so I can stock up on supplies.

I cant open the links for some odd reason, so I cant read the whole article to answer my own questions, so I apologize in advance.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bryan2006
I believe it. A few days ago I had a huge panic with my computer, I thought it could be a cyber attack! HAHA it had me going for awhile. I have a macbook Pro, I have had a mac for 10 years now and never a security problem, I use proxies for connection, etc. What happened was exactly at midnight I lost internet. I thought it was a connection isp issue. But then I found out google, yahoo and a few other main sites worked, but I could not get on anything else- just dead. I could google fine, but couldn't open most links at all. It was scary- I ended up re-installing 10.6 and that fixed it- so either I had a OS error, or something triggered that error. I was thinking how this would be the perfect attack. We could still get on google, yahoo to see news, well at least what tptb wanted to show us, but go nowhere else. Imagine if this same thing happened to everyone? It would shut the world down.

Could have been a problem with your hosts. I don't know anything about macs though, or PC for that.. I use Linux.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join