It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would an alien species make contact with the human race?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Okay why do we travel for vacation and/or visit our relatives? Out of boredom for entertainment. Travel to the zoo is educational and interesting and entertaining, looking at gorgeous scenery is entertaining and stress relieving. Being at the relatives is a hell, but we try to get something intellectual out of it. They don't seem to want visitors they put the double sized guest bed in the cold basement, won't heat the house above 55 degrees, won't feed us, I feel like a target is on my back at the in laws, spend time avoiding ackward confrontations, and cat allergy attacks, wear my coat the whole visit , watch my kids sleep on the cold hard floor. This in law relative is a rich ER Doctor with two jobs! So you know, why would anybody visit the rude humans. I really would rather stay at home or go to the beach. No human interactions, and by the way women are the cattiest.... really what's with all the rude emotional attacks? People are so predictable and they don't change their behaior unless they undergo a significant emotional event. For all the people who don't recycle... that is an attack to the earth and very selfish rude behavior. I live 500 miles away from the relatives for a very good reason.
I think the aliens are clue in too by the way. Especially if they are smarter
and logical... confrontations are a waste of precious personal energy, and expensive wastes of good vacation time and money.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by invisibleLight

The possibility that the earth might be located inside a "traffic zone" that's used for stellar travel is an interesting theory.
It offers a plausible explanation for the numerous sightings, visitations, and UFO crashes on our planet.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

The Kardashev scale, according to theoretical physicist Michu Kaku we humans don't even rank, we are a type zero civilization. How would a civ. 2-3 million years ahead of us communicate with humans in the first place, we are just chemical scum on the surface of earth burning fossil fuel for survival.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Humans are very close to detecting Earth sized worlds right now. Yet look at how 'limited' we are in technological terms. Imagine what we'll be able to do in 100 at the rate technology is advancing. Imagine where we'd be at now if the whole planet was united as one & all worked on the same goal(s).

Check out this link:

web.mit.edu...

Imagine what we'll be able to do in 100 years at the rate technology is advancing. Transition that to an alien race that's hundreds or thousands of years more advanced than us.

If we put a telescope out to something like 200/250 AU, then can you imagine the resolution capabilities that it would give us when gazing at something relatively close by.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for your replies. Many good reasons how they would locate us or why they would monitor us, but I do not see many reasons why they would make contact with us.

I am not talking abductions, I am talking set down and make actual contact. If they are more advanced than us, and if they find us they more than likely would be, what would we have to offer them?

[edit on 2/10/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Same reason we trek into uncharted areas looking for new discoveries. They are probably studying us and watching our motions trying to understand how we click. There may even be a couple of Jane Goodall's living amongst us for all we know.

To me, the only interest aliens would have in us would be purely scientific. I think until we reach a point where we could potentially pose some kind of threat to them, their home, etc. they will continually casually watching us and taking a few of us up for experiments.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Some beliefs I have about this subject based on some accounts of people I deem fairly credible, some general speculation, and some hope that feels right in the gut.

There are perhaps several advanced alien races out there. They did not point to earth specifically to see whats going on, but rather like what we would do, they are mapping out stars both big and small.

They put notes on planets and systems with intelligent life forming and occasionally send probes to simply gauge where the civilization is at as far as technological advancement and even if they are still alive.

I think the probes would be small...very small..insect sized and discreet..that would be the norm. I see no reason whatsoever why a advanced civ race would need to come down here in a ship just to see whats going around. waste of energy, resources, puts you in danger, and ultimately you would actually get less info through flying your ship down than you would simply unleashing a swarm of micro-computers to gain info around the world.

I think there may always be probes here working on specific protocols that simply moniter, however will send off signals when certain events happen (aka, splitting atom may alert of a drastic change)...possibility here links into roswell when scouts were dispatched and came down, however, I dont see the logic in that either, nuke or not, they could have simply sent down more advanced probes to uncover just what the bloody hell is going on.

As far as contact with us...I do believe if there ever is to be a offical disclosure to the world, it will come the day we (offically?) can travel past the current theoretical limitation of the speed of light, until then, we are pretty contained to our solar system and therefore fairly inconsequencial.

If the governments and illuminati can already do this, then it makes sense that any aliens would limit their interaction to them only..set down the ground rules, or perhaps its the aliens themselves that told said governments not to alert the rest of the world of real space travel until we are united and stop the psychology of putting bullets into those we disagree with = cool.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage
Thank you everyone for your replies. Many good reasons how they would locate us or why they would monitor us, but I do not see many reasons why they would make contact with us.

I am not talking abductions, I am talking set down and make actual contact. If they are more advanced than us, and if they find us they more than likely would be, what would we have to offer them?

[edit on 2/10/2010 by AlienCarnage]

They would make contact to us the same way a drill sergent makes contacts with new recruits...lay down the ground rules now that your in the army (army representing now a space faring nation outside of the solar system) and let them know that should they screw up, they can be kicked out of the army..or can quit (aka, technology forcably removed should we decide to start mega wars over bringing our ideolology to the stars verses just coexist with whomever is out there and respecting each others space.)

That to me seems the most likely senario.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhines

The Kardashev scale, according to theoretical physicist Michu Kaku we humans don't even rank, we are a type zero civilization. How would a civ. 2-3 million years ahead of us communicate with humans in the first place, we are just chemical scum on the surface of earth burning fossil fuel for survival.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Kardashev scale is a load of bunk!

It's based entirely on energy production & counts against the fact that a species might choose to harness only enough energy for their specific needs, or even decide to be more efficient in the way they produce/collect/store it.

It's exactly like making an assumption on someone having no money because they didn't spend much in a shop when you saw them. They could have been mega rich & just chose to bring in only what they needed at that particular time.

In regards to the Kardashev scale. There could be an alien civilisation out there that's millions of years more advanced than us. Has the capability to do literally anything it wants (FTL, wormholes, move planets around at will, extract energy from black holes, harness dark energy etc, etc), yet they may not be of the exploring type. So in all those millions of years haven't colonised more than a few dozen of the nearest planets to their original homeworld. They build a dyson swarm around each planet's star & that provides all the energy they require. According to the Kardashev scale, they would only be regarded as a type II. Yet they have the technological capabilities to be a type III or even a type IV if they truly wanted to.

Say a few years from now, a scientist stumbles upon nanotechnology & with that, the ability for self-replicating machines. We decide to use nukes as our propulsion method to get us into & around space. We go out to the asteroid belt & use our new nano toys to mine & strip them down for materials. We then use the toys to build a dyson swarm for us around the sun using all the materials gained from the asteroid belt. Yet poverty, disease, famine, war, greed, evil, corruption & all the rest of it would still be prevalent amongst our species every day. We couldn't get to our nearest star, couldn't terraform nearby planets etc, etc. According to this scale we would now be a type II just like the uber advanced aliens.

As I said earlier, I believe the Kardashev scale is a load of bunk!

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
To the OP, your first three points seem to assume that a civilization potentially a million years in advance of our own would be using technology similar to ours in its exploration of space.

Your fourth point seems to assume that the exploring civilization's thought process would be something like yours, which may not be the situation at all. In any case, if we were to find another planet that harbored life, I'm sure we would be most interested in the form of life that appears to be dominating the planet, which in the case of Earth would be us.

However, the bottom line in any question such as this is that our speculations are bound to be anthropocentric. There is a concept known as the incommensurability problem, which notes that the differences between any two intelligent species from different parts of space may be so vast as to make the thoughts, motivations and general way of being of the two speices mutually unintelligible.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Regards to your third point, about why or how they would even have noticed our system...
This is the only planet here abouts ,that has sent clearly created signals out into the cosmos in the last centuary . The meseges we sent via our tv signals , have been blasting outward from earth for years now, and I dont even have the data to say how far away they would be now, but its some hell of a hike from here.
If even one alien species picked up that signal , and then followed it back to source, perhaps they would come here in confusion , thinking that they were the only things in the galaxy which had developed the all powerful Mind.
I would generaly assume that an alien species would be at least as inquisitive or more so than we are. That in my opinion would count double for a race actualy capable of visiting this planet from afar, simply because without an inquisitive nature, I find it improbable that a species could invent an engine for its craft that would be up to interstellar travel .

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

How far do our signals get before they degrade? I have heard conflicting theories on this, which is why I ask the question. Even if our signals resonate within our galaxy and we could pick up on these signals if we were on another planet, would another species in this galaxy or another have the correct equipment to notice them? If they are more advanced than us, they might have disregarded the technology to notice it long ago, or it is possible that their technology developed along different lines than ours and they never used technology that could detect such signals.

When I say signals, I mean radio signals, television signals, or even signals from the energy we use. All of this for sure is radiating from our planet, but if the aliens are not scanning for this (it is very possible they never used this technology), they more than likely would not find us this way.

If they are in fact searching for the type of signals we put out, how fare do our signals radiate, and how far do they reach before they start to degrade and become unreadable?

I don’t ask these questions to be argumentative, I ask because I truly want to know as much as I can in the search for the truth.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by Sparkey76

Actually I think we're still a type 0...type 1 signifies our ability to harness our sun's powers (fusion), we are close though.

I think so far it would be extremely difficult if not impossible for another planet somewhere out there to notice us....

Difficult by what standards?

I mean you are making the asumption that they don't have what it takes, and you probebly base that idea on what we can do technologicly on earth.

They might have incomprehensible stuff we would find mind blowing. I really have no idea how someone can assume such a thing.

IT BOGLES MY MIND

story:

you go to a tribe in the amazones and tell them that you have the internet that you can travel to that big white ball in the sky and that we have already walked on it. You try to tell him we can see stars that are impossible to see with the naked eye, you try to tell him that the world exists out of litle balls.

I mean seriously he would think you are psychotic

top topics

<< 1   >>

join