It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would an alien species make contact with the human race?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
There are many reasons I can see against an alien species making contact with humans.

First:
Our sun is very small when compared to many others out there. For an alien species to even look in our direction, they would have to see our sun as a star in their sky. Even if they can’t see it in their sky they would have to have a reason to point their star gazing equipment in our direction to even see our sun.

Second:
Lets for argument sake say they have spotted our sun, more than likely the first planet that they would even begin to slightly notice would most likely be Jupiter, Saturn would be a close second. These giant planets dwarf our own that they might still not spot our tiny little planet.

Third:
Again for arguments sake let’s say they are intrigued by Jupiter or Saturn, so they look closer and spot our tiny little planet. Good they found our planet, now how would they go about determining if there was life or not, would a probe be able to send data at such far distances in other solar system and maybe even galaxies for them to be in contact with it? Would it really warrant them to send “manned” missions to our planet if they can’t determine for sure if there is life on this planet?

Fourth:
Okay, some how they determined there is life on our planet, and they are sending “manned” missions here, so which species should they communicate with. There is a species that seems to destroy their own planet constructing artificial structures and limiting the living space of other creatures, well this does not seem like an intelligent species, unless of course their species does the same on their planet.

So what species would seem the advanced species of the planet if these parasites are not the correct species to communicate with? There are quadruped species that live with these parasites and don’t seem to try to stop them, not very intelligent either. You have many other species that at their own risk seem to be living very close to these parasite dwellings, also not very smart since the parasites seem to feed off these species. Then there are oceans filled with creatures that seem to stay away from anything created by these parasites, which is very intelligent and a potential for contact.

Well, those are my key points, it isn’t that I don’t believe aliens contacting us is a possibility, I just believe it is rather implausible. Just what they would have to go through to find our little planet alone is a huge challenge to overcome, let alone what they would think of our species once they get here.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Lets reverse the question

Why would we want to contact an Alien species?

Well, we are trying to, with the setti program and the gold disc containing information on a space probe about us.

Its a natural progression to learn about the universe we live in, and im sure they are thinking the same.
Its part of the evolution process.
Michio Kaku puts it good, we are ants on a super highway, type 1 civilisations, type five being at the top.

Although I do believe different species already have been here and contacted us, be it for friendly ways or to be enemies to enslave.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkey76

Actually I think we're still a type 0...type 1 signifies our ability to harness our sun's powers (fusion), we are close though.

I think so far it would be extremely difficult if not impossible for another planet somewhere out there to notice us....

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I understand that they like us may be curious of the universe that surrounds them. However one of my key questions is, why would they look in our direction with their curious minds, without knowing that our little planet is even here?

Say they use even more advanced techniques for looking for other worlds than we do, wouldn’t they need to know to use these techniques in our direction first before finding us, and would they see us past our larger sister planets to even find us?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Actually I think we're still a type 0...type 1 signifies our ability to harness our sun's powers (fusion), we are close though.

I think so far it would be extremely difficult if not impossible for another planet somewhere out there to notice us....

Yes your quite correct, we are type 0.

You say it would be difficult for another planet to find us!
Wouldnt it depend how advanced the species that would seek out us are.
Maybe they have great knowledge about the Galaxy or perhaps they are in the neihbourhood, local area of spiral arm?

For that, I think you would 1st send out probes, like in the way we are, but on a larger scale

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think that a significantly more advanced technology would answer questions 1, 2 and 3 sufficiently. Consider how quickly we have gone from not being able to see other planets outside the solar system, to now.
Advance our society a mere one hundred years. Now a thousand.
'They' could be reading what we're typing, as we're typing it for all we know. (that's meant to only be half serious...but then this is a conspiracy site and paranoia comes with the territory *dons tinfoil hat*)

As for four...then yes. While there's some good educated guesses going on to suggest that technologically advanced alien races might be somewhat similar to us, there's really no telling whats out there or how they would perceive us. They might believe that a sure sign of intelligence is the amount of ultraviolet radiation a creature emits and look right over us as though we don't exist. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage

I understand that they like us may be curious of the universe that surrounds them. However one of my key questions is, why would they look in our direction with their curious minds, without knowing that our little planet is even here?

Say they use even more advanced techniques for looking for other worlds than we do, wouldn’t they need to know to use these techniques in our direction first before finding us, and would they see us past our larger sister planets to even find us?

Like I said above, probally probes that search the solar systems 1st, perhaps the way we are starting to look for planets that may support life before the probes get sent out.

Dont forget, The Universe is much older than we are, so perhaps a species somewhere has a massive head start on us.

maybe more than one type of alien too.

its all possible.
The only thing I aint sure of is travel, we understand how big the Universe, just our Galaxy is, the speed of light at our understanding can not go beyond this speed.

This creates a problem because how big just the Galaxy alone is, nevermind the Universe.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well they probably would contact due to curiousity. Just as we have implemented the SETI programme, they probably do have something similar.

Maybe if it's something to do with who has the most power in the universe, to learn about new technology or maybe just to meet new organisms.

Wouldnt it depend how advanced the species that would seek out us are.

Yes it would. We've recently been able to view thousands of new planets, only due to the progession in technology we've made.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Everyone seems to think that just because the universe is older in different directions than our planet alone that the alien species must be more advanced as well.

I can understand the logic with these thoughts to a point, but on the other hand we are assuming quite a bit much using this line of thought. Our planet, millions of years old and our species can barely even fit in a fraction of that time. What if other planets that are far older and their advanced species is in its infancy compared to our own? There is no way to be certain what level of technology other beings on other worlds would be.

Even taking into consideration that they could be 1 million years ahead of us, what would make them look in the direction of our planet? If in their sky there are no other stars in our direction and our sun does not appear as a sun in their sky as well, what would make them user their advanced science to look in our direction? Aside from a chance encounter with one of our deep space probes, I can not see why they would look in our direction.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why would we be contacted?
I belive that we would be contacted by Alien life for the same reasons noted, by the other answers. Out of Curiosity.
The Aliens would most likely be exploring the universe, and like previously mentiond, due to its vastness, it would be hard to find us, unless they knew where to look.
We can show examples by looking at our own search for E.T. Such as, how we are now able to detect planets around other Stars and have a general idea of what they consist of, and also make some perception as to their build up/structure by viwing X-ray images to try and give us a compleat picture of what the Atmosphere and such contains.
We'd look for planets similar to our own. So similar Size and Mass, followed by suspected conditions.
Now that we belive E.T. Is more advanced and they've managed spaced flight, their obviously going to have more efficiant means of detecting planets and life.
They'd most likely look for similar life to their own, so that if they eventually made contact, the culture shock would hopefully be minimal.
We may look at ourselfs and think we're nothing more than parasites, but i dont like to think that. We've masterd Science to a certain degree aswell as mapped our genomes. We are the Dominant life-form on this planet. We're adaptable and interact with nature on all levels. (be it positive or negative)
We'd certainly be a curious subject for any life form.
And maybe we are being study'd aswell.
Another thing i like to think of is that maybe we arnt the only dominant life form that they may be studying. Maybe the Aliens are studying other Alien life forms, life forms that may be more intresting or even there may be another form of Alien that is closer to Planetary destruction than us.
Then we get the regulas scenarios, such as Invashion/Harvest e.t.c.

Its a tougth call, if i was E.T. Id take a look at us closely.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Maybe their technology is so advanced they could see a ring of our thoughts (similar to the ring of radio/television transmissions emanating from our planet) and this would spark the interest? Now consider how long humankind has been able to think....perhaps that "bubble" has traveled way out there by now.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
If there are any alien races out there ...the best bet for them is to stay away from us...far away.

The Human race is cancer and worthless......nothing good will ever come from us......at this time we are too greedy, violent and self centered......time is the greatest cleanser there is....in time we will be no more and hopefully another more benign race will sprout up from our ashes.

AG

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Hiya AC

Our moon missions have been politically driven, but enabled by the curiosity of science. Without science we wouldn't have learned how to make stone tools or capture fire. An ET intelligence will have evolved with similar drives. If ET succeeded in creating technology that allowed them to explore space...that curiosity would dictate them making contact with any other lifeforms within reach.

We're searching for *any* life with intelligent life being the ultimate discovery. SETI is wholly predicated on the specific search for intelligent life. Based on the behaviour of the only advanced species we know about...us...I think it is inevitable that ET would make contact with the human race.

An important question is what form of contact would an alien species make? Observation, diplomacy or interference?

Ideas of self-replicating spaceships are interesting. We're beginning to think in terms of Goldilocks Zones...Spectrum analyses of Class II stars, M-Class planets etc can be like prospecting for gold in areas with the right geology.

The galaxy is immense and narrowing down the search criteria is efficient. In theory, SR craft would be sent to those places and would replicate. Some would remain to study planets over periods of millenia...they would take many forms. The replicants would travel from there to other systems that fulfilled the criteria. They would have at least AI and adapt to new lifeform signatures to extend and reevaluate past and future searches.

Based on the propulsion they might have (sub or FTL, wormhole...all theories), nearer systems might involve sending artificial biological lifeforms. Think about critters with bone mass (it deteriorates in zero-G) replaced with cartilage. Recycled nutrition that makes digestive systems almost vestigial. Designed to survive with as little energy as possible, potentially travelling for great periods in darkness. Enough intelligence or autonomy to study new lifeforms.

I can think of lots of reasons why ET would feel a need to contact us and a few ways it might be achieved. All of them speculative and fun to imagine...daydreams. Just ideas

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well, those are my key points, it isn’t that I don’t believe aliens contacting us is a possibility, I just believe it is rather implausible. Just what they would have to go through to find our little planet alone is a huge challenge to overcome, let alone what they would think of our species once they get here.

Ironically, contrary to yours negative expectations, they have visited, explored and colonized the Earth since thousands of years ago, as testified by 9 in 10 ancient civilizations. Who do you suppose that, the Sumerians, Egyptians, Hindus, Mayans, Incas and many others, were referring to, when they reported "gods coming from stars"??? Who do you suppose that were the "angels, nefilins, anakins" reported on Bible???

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucalien

Ironically, contrary to yours negative expectations, they have visited, explored and colonized the Earth since thousands of years ago, as testified by 9 in 10 ancient civilizations. Who do you suppose that, the Sumerians, Egyptians, Hindus, Mayans, Incas and many others, were referring to, when they reported "gods coming from stars"??? Who do you suppose that were the "angels, nefilins, anakins" reported on Bible???

They came to Earth to seed with our women.

I just hope its not what I suspect, slavery and control.
I strongly suspect it is though

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
www.scribd.com...
Code to the matrix, offered by the author freely

The good ones would want to free us, and some of their family. The neutrals to watch or accomplish their agendas.

But the bad guys have us trapped in one hell of matrix! And they're not human!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

The galaxy is immense and narrowing down the search criteria is efficient. In theory, SR craft would be sent to those places and would replicate. Some would remain to study planets over periods of millenia...they would take many forms. The replicants would travel from there to other systems that fulfilled the criteria. They would have at least AI and adapt to new lifeform signatures to extend and reevaluate past and future searches.

This is an interesting idea, do you suppose an alien species would do the same thing? If so I could see this eventually reaching us, this would definitely answer the question of how they might discover us. The question would be would we recognize an alien tech such as this, or would it blend in with the life forms we share the planet with, such as insects or birds, or would it stand out from organic life forms ad be more mechanical, something we might recognize? I am not saying that it is here, but would we recognize it if alien tech of this type did come here?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hi all,

Don't want to be sarcastic but. Their here and for reasons I can't totally explain. I feel part of it, if not all?, is to protect this ball from total inialtion from the humans. Wish'm luck

Decoy

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
If there are any alien races out there ...the best bet for them is to stay away from us...far away.

The Human race is cancer and worthless......nothing good will ever come from us......at this time we are too greedy, violent and self centered......time is the greatest cleanser there is....in time we will be no more and hopefully another more benign race will sprout up from our ashes.

AG

maybe this is one of the reasons that we're being visited (well, not by ALL aliens but at least those from one particular planet). maybe they want to figure out why there's so much negativity, why we keep killing each other and our planet, why we keep living by our selfish ways. But the thing is, saying things like this only makes it worse. the more negative energy that people emanate, the less any positive energy is discernible in this mess. negative energy is much more powerful than positive, so negative thoughts and ideas could be transferred as this energy. I agree there are many things wrong with the world today, but there still his hope and reason to believe that there is at least hint of good in the majority of us.

back on topic, there could be a million reasons why they come to visit us. All the way back to Sumerian civilizations, there are artifacts and carvings of people wearing spacesuits, and rockets in the sky. there are cave paintings of things that resemble flying saucers. Maybe all those years ago they accidentally stumbled upon us? or their telescopes are so effective that they found this blue and green planet while simply studying the sky and decided to check it out, since blue=water and green=life? maybe, they themselves were being visited by extra terrestrials when they were more like us in levels of technology, finally solved the mystery, and decided to embark themselves to help or harm a planet the same way their visitors did?

there's also the possibility that our planet is in the middle of a traffic zone. The Bermuda Triangle is famous for strange disappearances of aircraft and ships. perhaps this is a "wormhole" or some kind of pathway that extra terrestrials have been using for years to travel through the universe, and we just never knew about it till recently? Its also been said that the three pyramids line up with certain stars (i forget which ones), and some people have even said that the ancient Egyptians could have been aided in the construction of these pyramids by E.T.'s. Maybe they did this in order to use the pyramids for navigation? Anything is possible, but i think i'll just enjoy the fact that for whatever reason, our planet, out of billions, is being visited. It could be good or bad, but either way, maybe we're lucky? Or, it could be that Earth is just another planet out of billions that are being visited as well. Who knows?

Really makes you think though.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Decoy
Hi all,

Don't want to be sarcastic but. Their here and for reasons I can't totally explain. I feel part of it, if not all?, is to protect this ball from total inialtion from the humans. Wish'm luck

Decoy

Same here, I feel I am part of this story, ive even had dreams that feel like messages but I disagree its all humans, Humans are being manipulated by something else.

dont forget, there is more than ONE type of Alien.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join